Hikvision Permanent Region Change

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Check with the 'mount' command for any mount point.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, that confirms that mtdblock2 does not have a mount point set, but the kernel has it tagged with a read-only attribute.
It will not be practical to be able to change that unfortunately.

fluffypony

n3wb
Reaction score
Brilliant, thanks - saves me the hassle of cross compiling it myself.

For anyone else that makes it this far and hits the same issue, you can use /proc/cpuinfo to check the processor your camera is running. Here's a DS-2CD2332-I, which is running an armv6 processor, as an example:

Code:
[ ric->security-server ]$ ssh root@10.0.0.50
root@10.0.0.50's password:

BusyBox v1.19.3 (2014-07-11 11:25:54 CST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

# cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor	: ARMv6-compatible processor rev 5 (v6l)
BogoMIPS	: 525.92
Features	: swp half fastmult edsp java
CPU implementer	: 0x41
CPU architecture: 6TEJ
CPU variant	: 0x1
CPU part	: 0xb36
CPU revision	: 5

Hardware	: Coconut
Revision	: 13ec300a
Serial		: 0000000000000000

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, that confirms that mtdblock2 does not have a mount point set, but the kernel has it tagged with a read-only attribute.
It will not be practical to be able to change that unfortunately.
I can transfer only the mtdblock2 with serial TTL cable?

Dreamboat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have camera DS-2CD2420FD-I (chinese version), fw: 5.2.0 140721. Is there any chance to switch the language to English?

Peter

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes it should be possible, I used Whoslooking's video on how to do it - https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/5988-MTD-HACK-made-easy-on-Video?highlight=mtd+hack+video
It is said to be a permanent fix to english/international version however it still reads as CCCH as opposed to CCWR indicating it might not be truly english after the fix.
I used this video to change a DS-2CD2032-I 5.2.0 2014 build with multilanguage fix to an english but not sure I could flash 5.4.0 english since it shows CCCH.
Maybe we need to change the serialnumber and/or mac address to english intervals
Can somebody chime in and verify

montecrypto

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is said to be a permanent fix to english/international version however it still reads as CCCH as opposed to CCWR indicating it might not be truly english after the fix.
It is possible to permanently change region code, default country (CH, WR), most parameters, serial number, and everything else stored in bootparams. I have done this to NVRs. I have not tried to play with cameras, because I do not have any CH cameras. I should probably buy one.

Enabler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes it should be possible, I used Whoslooking's video on how to do it - https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/5988-MTD-HACK-made-easy-on-Video?highlight=mtd+hack+video
I used this video to change a DS-2CD2032-I 5.2.0 2014 build with multilanguage fix to an english but not sure I could flash 5.4.0 english since it shows CCCH.
Maybe we need to change the serialnumber and/or mac address to english intervals
Can somebody chime in and verify
There's no checks for CH versus WR etc so it's not needed and wouldn't cause any upgrade problems.

Maybe one day in the future but then hackers will just change that also. Probably better for Hikvision not to do anything that a) won't help them anyway and b) cause support confusion with hacked serials.

Peter

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was thinking its good to change CH to WR so it shows up properly in SADPtool and in webinterface.
if on 5.2.0 5.2.3 5.2.5 can I change MAC adress and serialnumber if I change checksum also?
So I would like to change these things to scrable it around a Little.
Problem is I dont have original English versions of these firmwares so I can not compare.
I dont know Linux but with info from alistair and video tutorial from whoslooking it was a breeze:)
So maybe we can add to the sticky permanent region change how we change MAC, serialnumber and CH to WR.
Thanks

Enabler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was thinking its good to change CH to WR so it shows up properly in SADPtool and in webinterface.
if on 5.2.0 5.2.3 5.2.5 can I change MAC adress and serialnumber if I change checksum also?
So I would like to change these things to scrable it around a Little.
Problem is I dont have original English versions of these firmwares so I can not compare.
I dont know Linux but with info from alistair and video tutorial from whoslooking it was a breeze:)
So maybe we can add to the sticky permanent region change how we change MAC, serialnumber and CH to WR.
Thanks
As things stand it's a cosmetic change only but that's important to you sure it can be changed.

I wouldn't like to see sellers do this though as it's misleading to customers who would see a WR and think they can upgrade without problems. I have both CH and WR cameras and it's helpful for me to know which is which that way :)

Peter

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok nice but where in MTD5 and MTD6 do I change MAC, serial and CH to WR?
Thanks