Hikvision POE stopped working

technicaldisruption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have 2 Hikvision cameras that went out on me this month. The POE stopped working but I can put them into a 12v power supply and they work fine. These were in locations though where a 3-6ft power cord is not long enough. I have tried using a POE extender / injector and none of those work. It only powers through the power plug.

Any idea why the POE failed and whether it can be restored?
Separately, Has anyone seen long power cords that can be used outside that look better than a typical extension cord?

I have tried multiple switches, cords, poe injectors, etc

There were significant rains this month but they have always survived the rain in the past.

Hikvision DS-2CD2032F-IW
Hikvision DS-2CD2632f-I

Thanks

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
likely water ingress into the plug fried the PoE board; vast majority of PoE failures are due to poor install practices; you need to be using self sealing silicon tape on the connectors to ensure a proper seal.. like this: Amazon.com: Universal Electronics Original # 104 Coax Seal Hand Moldable Plastic Weather Seal: Home Audio & Theater

this device will restore PoE to your cameras but they are not waterproof: Amazon.com: WT-GAF-12v12w 802.3af Gigabit Poe Splitter with 12 Volts output. Power Over Ethernet for Non-poe Devices like IP Cameras to 328 Ft for PoE Switches: Computers & Accessories

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

technicaldisruption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I wasn't aware of those POE splitters so I've ordered some. I had some of the silicon tape but I didn't get around to putting it on all my cameras.

technicaldisruption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@tritongr if you can still plug in dc adapter and network cord to the camera and if works then the above splitters should work. I purchased the above and I have my cameras functioning again using the splitters.

damianc

n3wb
Reaction score
I found this page searching about this problem. My camera did the same thing, but the reason it quit was my not using the weatherproof connector they give you. There was no obvious water intrusion, but I think just the high humidity level caused the positive pins for PoE in the RJ-45 connector to corrode.

I cut that connector off, replaced it with a new one, and the camera works perfectly. Just a word of warning, the wires on the inside of the camera in no way match the standard colors.

Mine were like so:
Orange/W - green
Orange - blue
Green/W - orange
Blue - purple
Blue/W - gray
Green - yellow
Brown/W - brown
Brown - white

Last edited:

GAF

n3wb
Reaction score
I not believe in this solution but I think noting wort can happen.
I cut the cable and re-wire it following the color chart and surpricelly it works!!!!!
Damianc, Thank you very much for your solution

AdKr

n3wb
Reaction score
Indeed this works perfectly. I want to thank you for this solution. Awesome.

LabPadre

n3wb
Reaction score
I found this page searching about this problem. My camera did the same thing, but the reason it quit was my not using the weatherproof connector they give you. There was no obvious water intrusion, but I think just the high humidity level caused the positive pins for PoE in the RJ-45 connector to corrode.

I cut that connector off, replaced it with a new one, and the camera works perfectly. Just a word of warning, the wires on the inside of the camera in no way match the standard colors.

Mine were like so:
Orange/W - green
Orange - blue
Green/W - orange
Blue - purple
Blue/W - gray
Green - yellow
Brown/W - brown
Brown - white
This worked perfectly for as well! Thanks so much for the excellent info. How did you figure out the color coding?

HamsoTR

n3wb
Reaction score