Hikvision TFTP update software

Lextech

n3wb
Reaction score
In my relentless pursuit I found it by digging through every folder inside the Hikvision USA FTP. I attached it to the thread. Hope this saves someone the hours it took me. Also to note, it failed the first 8 times I tried using it with the AV2000 error, but on my last try it worked and I upgraded my NVR.

Thanks.
Can you touch base more on how it suddenly worked? I updated my firmware via USB and when it booted back up it was in all decimal like characters and everything I do i get a permissions denied. That said I am able to get the update tool to connect and transfer .dav files fully, but it will never say "updated successfully" or anything and will randomly show the dreaded AV2000 error. I am connected via the same switch on my LAN and I can connect to it no problem with the update tool. Once the file transfers the NVR then boots up right back to the silly decimal user names and permission denied. I attached a link to some information on what I have been doing so far and what the NVR is doing any help would be great as right now nothing is working, but the fact I can connect to it give me some hope! At this point I just want to be able to login and view my system again.

Photo's of whats going on
http://imgur.com/a/kndhK

The characters found in the user name field are random, If I click on those characters there is about 20 other "user names' with the same random characters.

Are the "baseline" firmware's found a factory / stock type? Or is there any known firmware I can return the unit back to factory settings?

EDIT : My system was branded LAVIEW but after much resarch I was able to find out I am pretty sure it is the DS-7608NI-E2/8P. The FW I tried using was I believe from the wrong model and it was a higher version of 3.4 then what I can find for my actual system ( hope that doesnt matter) as I was told before I looked into it further my system was based on an SP / ST version.

Now that I am sure I know which model I have based on I am hoping I can push the proper FM and get back into action.

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The FW I tried using was I believe from the wrong model and it was a higher version of 3.4 then what I can find for my actual system ( hope that doesnt matter) as I was told before I looked into it further my system was based on an SP / ST version.
That would presumably be the cause of the problems you are seeing.

Now that I am sure I know which model I have based on I am hoping I can push the proper FM and get back into action.
It's important to confirm this - if you can explain how you know this then maybe others familiar with LAVIEW may be able to comment / confirm, so that the correct update can be done.
What exact model is shown on the label?

wbyard

n3wb
Reaction score
The tftp server is Hikvision-specific, it is probed for with a 'magic number' by the camera/NVR and responds in a specific way.
But you can use a standard tftp server (eg the Jounin one) if you use the serial console connection for the update.

You can find a copy of the Hikvision public release of their tftp upgrader within @whoslooking 's popular 5.3.0 downgrader here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3hy72q4osstun72/5.30 Downgrader.rar?dl=0

And @Stevejn from Hikvision UK was going to check up why it's no longer on the website and report back.
Many thanks alastairstevenson for this straightforward and easy solution for "unbricking" my HIKVISION DS-2CD2032 !!! Many thanks for every ones efforts on this forum to accomplish the same result....it has been a real education to this newbie...WRB

Attachments

Lextech

n3wb
Reaction score
That would presumably be the cause of the problems you are seeing.

It's important to confirm this - if you can explain how you know this then maybe others familiar with LAVIEW may be able to comment / confirm, so that the correct update can be done.
What exact model is shown on the label?
The DS-7608NI-E2/8P is identical to the model I have in terms of everything on the back panel. From the USB 3.0 to the location of everything else. and from what little I saw on the inside. I will have to look at the model # that is listed and report back.

In theory now that I may have the correct Firmware it could be possible I get a successful update when I try to load the proper .dav?

Does the fact that I am able to "successfully" push the file give me any hope that once I do track down the correct firmware it should work?

EDIT SYS WORKING!
My Issue was related to updating with the wrong firmware for the system. Today I simply downloaded the proper firmware which was the lastest baseline for the DS-7608NI-E2/8P which was labeled DS-76xxNI-E1(E2)P_USA_Firmware_3.3.4_150811,Booted up the NVR and let the TFTP update software do its thing. The only messages I got from the TFTP was file transfer complete. The NVR then beeped and booted into the proper firmware where I was able to set a password and access everything again 100%.

I will note it still got the AV2000 error after the NVR booted and the TFTP was still connected, however this does seem to be a issue NOT related to pushing firmware as again my NVR boots now and works great.

For those who come via google - My system was amazon bought LAview
LV-KND988P86D242-T2 . This system is based/rebranded from the DS-7608NI-E2/8P I used the tool downloaded from page 1 of this thread and downloaded the firmware from http://overseas.hikvision.com/us/download_89.html which is labeled DS-76xxNI-E1(E2)P_USA_Firmware_3.3.4. Follow the instructions found in the tool download to set your local IP to 192.0.0.128 ( Regardless what you may think or want to think your IP should be your NVR has a built in hardcoded IP to match this subnet on boot) then run the tool with the firmware file in the same folder as the Update sofware. Power the NVR up and watch the magic happen.

sauropod

n3wb
Reaction score
I guess you could say I was not going out without a fight on this one. This was my first time using a Hikvision product, and I guess bricking your device is a right of passage. I was really happy that I also found the exact firmware in that FTP under the Latest folder so I at least knew it was going to have a firmware I was confident belonged on my NVR.

I used the standard host ftp.hikvisionusa.com and the hikfirmware and Hikvision123. I am thinking maybe they are using some sort of geo-filter if you can't connect.

I used a straight cable from the NVR to my laptop, which to make things way more challenging was running OS X 10.11 with a Windows 8.1 VM using VirtualBox. So eventually I simply started the TFTP, chose the Option menu and clicked on the folder the firmware was located in, which was the default, but I did it anyway, then I fired up the NVR and it worked on the last try I was willing to do. My plan was to boot it, and walk away and let it sit for a while as I read on another forum that even after that AV2000 error the TFTP will try again and sometimes the second go is the winner, I was never being patient enough to allow that to happen. I was too burned out to even try connecting a camera, which will be the project this evening.

Since the camera will have the same IP as the NVR I will use a PoE injector to boot the camera and then use the straight cable to the laptop so I can web into it and change the IP and the set the password to a complex password being going PoE into the NVR.

I am hopeful this will get me my proof of concept so I can then order the rest of my cameras and start pulling wire.

Thanks.
You mentioned that you were more patient. I'm in the same boat right now. Did you mean you let it sit with the AV2000 error, or you relaunched the TFTP tool, rebooted the NVR after the error, and then waited? What combination of steps worked, I'm a bit unclear?

thanks!

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Why mess around just use your router, using a straight connection between a laptop and the camera is so hit had miss, due to NIC response and connection, misses the call to start the tftp.
Connection would be more luck than anything else.

but after 5min it will try again.

sauropod

n3wb
Reaction score
Not sure you understood what I'm doing. I'm trying to re-flash the NVR, not a camera. Also, I am using a router/switch and it is able to connect to the NVR, just keep getting the VS2000 file error and never recovers even if I let it run again on its own 12 mins later.

sauropod

n3wb
Reaction score
I got a little further this time. No AV2000 error but it couldn't find the digicap.dav file even though it's in the same directory, has full permissions, and I also had manually chosen the path under the options menu as suggested, just in case. I'll post if I can get further on this. See the screenshot where it repeatedly can't find the digicap.dav file. I'm not sure if the full path is screwed up as there is no backwards slash between the folder path and the filename but it may just be bad logging on the developer's part. I've created a copy of the file under the C:\directory and given the filename the full pathname in it (c:\TFTP-Auto-Updatedigicap.dav, without the backslash before the actual filename) as the log seems to suggest it's looking for and I'll wait to see if it picks it up.

Screenshot_12_19_15__12_29_PM.png

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Got you, the error normally comes about if your using the wrong firmware, that said on some nvr you don't get the success message the nvr will just reboot after the update.

Make sure the file is called digicap.dav and in the same folder as the tftp.exe

sauropod

n3wb
Reaction score
Yep it was but for some reason the tftp software is poorly written and it worked after I put a copy of the .dav file with the bad prefix in my C:\ root directory. Go figure. Perhaps the developer did not add the last backslash before the filename lookup.

Also, for others- make sure you use an ethernet wired connection into a common router/switch. I used wifi originally and even though it seemed like it was working (connected to ip 192.0.0.64) it didn't progress until I used ethernet.

Now for my final act.. I need to change the language settings to English. The firmware I got was from the US site but I get a bunch of weird characters on the screen. After that I need to figure out how to add my cameras as it doesn't recogize anything out of the box after reboot and my cameras still have the Swann firmware (another forum guy told me this was perfectly fine, I didn't need to update firmware on cameras prior to NVR update, but who knows now).

sauropod

n3wb
Reaction score
No luck. At this point I would be content to just get back to the original Swann firmware and just deal with their lousy iPhone app. Only problem is I see no way of loading their original firmware back onto the device, if I can even find their original firmware out there.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if the full path is screwed up as there is no backwards slash between the folder path and the filename but it may just be bad logging on the developer's part.
Perhaps the developer did not add the last backslash before the filename lookup.
Nope - you have changed the 'Option' to specify the default folder, and omitted the trailing backslash. That's why the digicap.dav was not available.
It's best to leave that as-is and simply place the digicap.dav in the same folder as tftpserve.exe
No AV2000 error but it couldn't find the digicap.dav file even though it's in the same directory, has full permissions, and I also had manually chosen the path under the options menu as suggested, just in case.
Oh, and by the way for future reference, the 'AV2000 error' isn't an actual error, it's just a bit of left-over code from way back that executes near the end of the normal boot process. It can safely be ignored, it means nothing.

sauropod

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I think you're right about the folder path. It won't let me add a backslash to it but if I leave it alone it will use the correct path.

Well I officially bricked my NVR. Looks like the Hikvision 7616 firmware does not replace the current Costco Swann 16ch NVR firmware.

Monday I will find out how much it costs me to send it back to Swann and get it re-flashed with original firmware. The support guy said the firmware wasn't even available so he's going to ask around to see if they can find it.

Also I tried other firmwares since but the stupid TFTP software just won't work. It took like 30 tries the first time to get it load the firmware anyway. Weekend wasted.

sauropod

n3wb
Reaction score
Pasting here since it's relevant to TFTP:

Alastair Stevenson and DemonicHawk,

Thank you both so much for your help with this. I finally got my Costco Swann 16 channel/8 POE 3MP NVR working with Hikvision firmware. It appears that the Swann/Costco model I have (CONV16-b3mp8c / http://www.costco.com/Swann-16-Chann...100144944.html) corresponds to the Hikvision 7816 series, not 7616, and not 7116. Thanks to DemonicHawk earlier, and a number of assists from Alastair late, I was able to load the 7816 series firmware onto my NVR and it seems to work well. There are a few glitches like I can't get all 8 cameras to show live feed on the same screen but I think this is a result of more configuration needed rather than a firmware issue.

A couple of important things I learned along the way (again thanks to you both for assisting with much of this info):

1. If using TFTP, and you find yourself trying to get it to work repeatedly (numerous failures before getting it to work), I found that if you power on the NVR instantly after launching the TFTP executable it seems to work much better. So I would launch the TFTP executable, and instantly switch on the NVR and I guess whatever timing issue was occurring seemed to get resolved by this method. Your mileage may vary. I also set the IP Gateway on the NVR to an address that does not exist (on a completely different subnet) on my network just to make sure it doesn't automatically pick up an IP address from the router.

2. The firmware I used (and received from Alistair) is 7816N-E2_308_ML. Alistair, would be kind enough to provide a public place/link where others can download?

3. After loading the firmware I was allowed to choose my language directly on the NVR startup screen.

4. I did NOT need to update the firmware on my cameras. The newly branded Hikvision NVR picked up my Swann firmwared cameras automatically (you may need to upgrade cams if the different in firmware between NVR and cameras is too great).

5. Make sure your firewall is completely turned off while TFTPing (just in case).

6. With regards to the phony error (Missing econt_Vision-AV2000 file) on the TFTP app we're supposed to ignore- I found that if I successfully was able to transfer the digicam.dav, I did not get the error. i only got the error if I TFTP was able to connect to the NVR but unable to transfer the digicam.dav file. This is just my findings, others have reported otherwise.

Thanks again guys!

Reaction score
Update..

Thanks to zimurgy for posting the HIK TFTP server program.. Still would not connect with my windows 10 machine..

SO I dragged out an older windows 7 machine with firewall disabled and it connected..
Downloaded the 3.3.1 MultiLanguage from the HIK Europe site (http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Product Firmware/Recorder/7600NI-E1-A All-in-one NVR/)

Then i ran HIKTOOLS over it and changed the language to 2 (Seller obviously failed to mention is was a chinese machine.. but anyway!)

Fired up the Bricked NVR plugged into my old laptop (IP:192.0.0.128) fired up TFTP server program (with the modded digicap.dav firmware).. and IT LOADED.. and then BOOTED!

So, big thanks to those on this forum for the tools, posts and utilities (and knowledge)..

It seems 3.3.4 is NOT to be loaded on the NVR as it bricks it straight up. It will be interesting to see if there is an update that WILL allow it..

I noticed 3.4.0 is now out... Might try and brick the machine with that!

*** 3.4.0 causes the NVR to brick as well.. 3.3.1 it is then ****

Again, thanks..
Hi,

Sorry for reviving this old threat but how can I do this for the Lorex NR8163?
Install firmware via this methode since NVR is not booting up. Keep booting in a loop(each 5 mins)

Has started a threat here for this. But no solution yet:

Lorex NR816-N or NR8163W

oshosh

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!!!
I've written an article in my blog about the entire process and uploaded all the files so it will hopefully help someone else someday!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!!!
I've written an article in my blog about the entire process and uploaded all the files so it will hopefully help someone else someday!
i removed your link
so you took the content from this site and posted it elsewhere?
Worst of all you didnt credit the users who actually helped you.