Hikvision's new 4MP 2-series

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's not possible to have gmail e-mails and 4-lines without an NVR going forward.

So if you have to have camera only and gmail then you need 5.4.0 and you will not be able to use 4-lines any more. I don't know about push. Most of this stuff is pretty useless anyway.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There's a thread about the flaws of 5.4.0 already.

A bit of searching the forum rather than being condescending would be useful.

Hint: It's about 10 threads down from this one.

camo

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, I cancelled an order I made yesterday with 5.4.0 installed. Glad it was the weekend and nothing shipped.

Reaction score
Hello, sorry my english (I'm using google translator) My problem and the following have 10 DS-2CD2042WD-I running smoothly in LAN, the problem and the external network, I have done the ddns in hik online, but so can see the same camera, already opened doors already changed the doors, already tried everything but to no avail. if someone can make a step passes thank you very much because I am already more than two months trying unsuccessfully Thanks John Carlos (Brazil) :(

pdobrien3

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am the new kid on the block. Looking to add some security cameras to my residence and have some questions after sorting through this thread:
1) Are the 2142s worth it? Everyone seems to say they aren't worth the upgrade but if they are your first camera go for it?
2) I have read to stay away from china models as the firmware can't be upgraded. True? How to I make sure I am getting US version?
3) looking for a good camera in the $150-$200 range. are the 2142s it? My biggest concern is low light as I don't have a lot of ambient light around my house. Also need PoE and edge recording.

Thanks is advance. Any info greatly appreciated.

Peace,
Dan

Last edited by a moderator:

Hotelone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

2) I have read to stay away from china models as the firmware can't be upgraded. True? How to I make sure I am getting US version?
I bought mine from a "Fulfilled By Amazon" vendor that quoted as a USA version. Then checked the serial numbers. They are never USA versions but rather "Rest of World" or "Other" anyway which are "usually" up-gradable with Hikvision Europe firmware. I tried firmware upgrades immediately upon arrival on all three of my cams. If they ship you a Chinese version and it bricks just return it to Amazon - the vendor advertised falsely. When you end up wanting an NVR later you'll find even more layers of confusion.

awlectric

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just pulled the trigger on one of these unbranded versions from nellys. Might as well jump on the bandwagon!

Reaction score
LUX Specifications are meaningless but the F1.2 specification is much more meaningful.
True WDR can be very useful and much better than eWDR but has no correlation to low light performance as does F numbers.
I realize that this thread is old. Nevertheless, can someone please explain why the lux specification is meaningless, and what is the relevance of the f-value?

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The f-value describes the aperture size on the lens. In simplest terms, how large the opening is to allow light in. The lower this number is, the larger the lens opening, the more light that can reach the sensor and thus the brighter the image will be. This is important because, assuming all else equal, the lower the F-number, the better low light performance....The key being "all else equal". For example, if the sensor in "camera 1" is more light sensitive the sensor in "camera 2", then camera 1 may be able to achieve the same (or better) low light performance at a higher f-value.

The issue with the LUX rating is because there's no standard in settings for determining this. It's not always listed as to what settings the camera was on when testing it's low light ability. In some cases, it's even been reported that the LUX was calculated using a different (better) lens than what is actually included in the product. For example, the LUX rating may have been determined using a lens with an F1.2 F-number, while the lens actually included with the camera only goes to F1.6 (meaning you would have to buy and install your own F1.2 lens to actually achieve the reported LUX rating)...

Reaction score
Thanks. However, I'm still confused:
DS-2CD2142FWD-IS on the Hikvision U.S. website has "0.028 lux @ (ƒ/2.0, AGC on)" (DS-2CD2142FWD-IS(B)-Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd.),
while DS-2CD2142FWD-IS on the Hikvision Europe website has "0.01Lux @ (F1.2, AGC ON)" (Hikvision Europe).

My question is whether the spec on the U.S. website means "0.028 lux @ f/2.0 and f/2.0 is the largest aperture", or "0.028 lux @ f/2.0, but less lux at larger apertures".
In other words, does the same model number in Europe really have completely different lenses and optics?

Nowhere on the spec sheets can I see the maximum aperture explicitly mentioned.
Nowhere does it explicitely say that the specified minimum lux illumination is for the largest aperture (although this would seem logical to me). (Instead it says x lux at y aperture - why even mention y if it's the largest?)

Another interesting thing is that the 4MP *mini* dome has a larger aperture than the regular dome [IF we assume that the aperture value for which the lux value is given is the maximum aperture], which would seem counter-intuitive to me as I would assume that a large aperture would need more space.

Has anybody actually looked at the U.S. model to determine it's maximum aperture?

Does the U.S. 4MP mini dome actually have better low light performance than the U.S. 4MP regular dome? I'm totally confused.