Hikvision's new 4MP 2-series

Reaction score
I just installed a DS-2CD2542FWD-IS and can't see any resolution setting over 1920 x 1080. I swear when I first plugged in the camera there was a higher resolution available. Could a setting elsewhere limit the resolution?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just installed a DS-2CD2542FWD-IS and can't see any resolution setting over 1920 x 1080. I swear when I first plugged in the camera there was a higher resolution available. Could a setting elsewhere limit the resolution?
Turn off "capture mode"

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Because the original firmware on the new Hikvision 4mp cameras sucked and the picture quality was horrible. The new firmware released about 6 or 7 months ago made a huge improvement to the picture quality and the WDR. So if the most recent firmware upgrade continues to improve the WDR and picture quality, its worth the upgrade.
What version was the shitty and what one was the new? I'm less then impressed with some of my Hik 4MP's so I'd like to listen ok into the upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm inclined to agree. I only updating one to 5.4.0 and wish I hadn't. Will try to TFTP back later to see if possible.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ya that's what I'm running... My 4mm lenses are decent but these 2.8 really are garbage. I'm gonna be upgrading to 4mm LTS's to compare.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ya that's what I'm running... My 4mm lenses are decent but these 2.8 really are garbage. I'm gonna be upgrading to 4mm LTS's to compare.
I keep preaching this all the time, 4mm > 2.8mm for most situations but people see pretty day images of 2.8mm and end up going for that.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I keep preaching this all the time, 4mm > 2.8mm for most situations but people see pretty day images of 2.8mm and end up going for that.
My first three were 4mm 2342's and they were decent. I'm still tweaking but I'm not unhappy with them. I wanted to try the 2.8mm to use as large coverage areas in my backyard and also the yard at the front/side of the property, not points of entry exit. But the picture is just ridiculous. Day is all skewed and blurry and nightvision is terrible, even after tweaking. So I'm gonna keep them, just move them to more of a "catch all" camera to watch the dogs and other wildlife in the yard and just add two or three more 4mm's. Just thought I'd see if there was a firmware update that might help but it appears its the camera itself.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was backing up your point but good info from a user with both 2.8mm and 4mm DS-2CD2342WD-I cameras.

2.8mm good for catch all but 4mm better for actual detail. I cover areas with more than one camera this way.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was backing up your point but good info from a user with both 2.8mm and 4mm DS-2CD2342WD-I cameras.

2.8mm good for catch all but 4mm better for actual detail. I cover areas with more than one camera this way.
Yeah I originally didn't plan for it but now that I see how it is, I'm moving into the same direction you have. I'm happy I bought a managed 24 port PoE Switch early on now. I can def add more and now it seems like its a better solution since I'd rather catch more then not enough.

I'm just REALLY surprised by the 2.8, even after I added external IR Illuminators.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's just too wide for night. And often too wide for day if you want decent face detail shots. I've not added extra IR, well except for another camera!

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hey mate and delboy.

ive got a 2142 2.8mm and 4mm dome running 5.3.3.

i bought it because the low lux so called improvement. The night pictures are under whelming.

If i upgrade to 5.3.6 does it improve the pic? the cams are BBWR.

What do i lose?

Do i get 4 lines to set on line detection?
Does emails work for line and intruder?

Do push notifications work for line/intruder. theyve only ever worked for motion.

Always seem to lose something in upgrading or something else is broken.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Update to 5.3.8 and you won't lose 4 lines but will fix any flashing. E-mails won't work still.

The night image on all cameras is never magic (especially 2.8mm for outdoors!) and the difference between 3MP and 4MP night-vision is less then everyone seems to make out. Get some extra IR or light up and the difference will be huge. Also make sure you have no nearby IR reflections.

5.4.0 fixes e-mails but you lose 4-lines.

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Update to 5.3.8 and you won't lose 4 lines but will fix any flashing. E-mails won't work still.

The night image on all cameras is never magic (especially 2.8mm for outdoors!) and the difference between 3MP and 4MP night-vision is less then everyone seems to make out. Get some extra IR or light up and the difference will be huge. Also make sure you have no nearby IR reflections.

5.4.0 fixes e-mails but you lose 4-lines.
hey just to be clear with 5.3.8

emails not working is it line and intruder detection that is broken which i use emails for that) - or is it SsL?

does push notificatuon work for motion /line /intruder ?

i use a lot of the functionality email alarms for line/intruder , push alarms and so forth