Hikvision's new 4MP 2-series

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Good to know, The only dome i installed here as at the front door because its installed low and I was afraid someone mite tamper with it. The other 5 cameras I have are all bullet but I am really liking the sound of the new 4MP so if I pull the trigger on getting some I will definitely get the turret to replace my bullet cams.

Thanks again...
To clarify, the turret lacks some functions that the domes have - audio, sdcard, alarm in/out...so if I need those functions then a dome is the only option..

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To clarify, the turret lacks some functions that the domes have - audio, sdcard, alarm in/out...so if I need those functions then a dome is the only option..
Thank you for clarifying, No I don't need those functions but that good you pointed that out for me:D

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I personally would never use a dome over a turret. The ONLY advantage they have is that the are slightly more vandal resistant.
Hi fenderman, I keep thinking about what you said and I almost want to disagree with you on this. Wouldn't the dome be allot more vandal resistant because the camera is covered? Most of my camera are mounted about 10' high and anyone could just reach up with a baseball bat, metal pipe, or wood and bash the heck out of a turret camera where if it was a dome camera it would take more work to smash the lens. Just food for thought & I am just trying to learn. I would think if your mounting these cams 10' & below we would be better off with the dome but if we are installing these very high up the turret would be great. Please let me know if I am wrong.

Thank you....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi fenderman, I keep thinking about what you said and I almost want to disagree with you on this. Wouldn't the dome be allot more vandal resistant because the camera is covered? Most of my camera are mounted about 10' high and anyone could just reach up with a baseball bat, metal pipe, or wood and bash the heck out of a turret camera where if it was a dome camera it would take more work to smash the lens. Just food for thought & I am just trying to learn. I would think if your mounting these cams 10' & below we would be better off with the dome but if we are installing these very high up the turret would be great. Please let me know if I am wrong.

Thank you....
The whole vandal resistant thing is minor consideration. If someone can get to your camera there are easier ways to disable it - spray paint, or a rag - if they know the camera is there they simply need a mask... I never took a baseball bat to a hikvision dome so I dont know if it would hold up significantly better than a turret. It should not be a consideration in an installation unless you are installing in an area prone to such vandalism (and even then, I would probably not install a dome)..otherwise the turret benefits outweigh the negatives of a dome.

Dutchie30

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Turret cams usually have the infrared LED(s) separated by some distance from the lens. Most domes and bullets put the infrared LEDs in a ring around the lens. The turret design has two major benefits:

1. Spiders and other bugs are attracted to the infrared source and in the case of a dome or bullet, they tend to sit right in front of the lens, causing alerts and blocking the view and leaving their crap all over. On a turret, they are less likely to block the lens because the infrared source is not surrounding the lens.

2. When the infrared source is separated, as it is on a typical turret cam, it is practically impossible for the camera to suffer from "IR bleed" effects. IR bleed effects are fairly common with domes that haven't been installed quite right, and are a little less common but still possible with bullets.
And I tend to think that the image is clearer at the edges because the lens in front of the sensor is flat, instead of half a globe.

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The whole vandal resistant thing is minor consideration. If someone can get to your camera there are easier ways to disable it - spray paint, or a rag - if they know the camera is there they simply need a mask... I never took a baseball bat to a hikvision dome so I dont know if it would hold up significantly better than a turret. It should not be a consideration in an installation unless you are installing in an area prone to such vandalism (and even then, I would probably not install a dome)..otherwise the turret benefits outweigh the negatives of a dome.
Good points and noted. Thanks for sharing..

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And I tend to think that the image is clearer at the edges because the lens in front of the sensor is flat, instead of half a globe.
Thanks for the info, I will make my next purchase a turret unless of course I need SD Card, Alarm, or audio. I do have one other question, Does the IR stay on like the bullets and domes or is it activated by motion? I hope not the later.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It stays on in night mode.. Unless you manually shut it off, just like the bullets.

Sent via Taptalk

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The last time I recall people buying cams so underpriced, everyone had to wait for the order to fall through and for aliexpress to refund their money.

momez

n3wb
Reaction score
Lol, I was just about to try it and see how it goes, but messaged the seller instead. I doubt it would be honoured anyway so I don't think I'll even attempt to order it.

woodsie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Question: Do the 4mp cameras have a 4:3 mode like the 3MP cameras? I have a few spots where I use 2048x1536 (4:3) because it gives a litter more vertical field of view at the expense of horizontal field of view.

Do the 4mp cams have this or are they wide screen only?

Unrelated question: Do the turret cams and fixed domes have the same mounting pattern? I have a few domes I might switch to turrets but it would be nice to not have to make more holes in my eaves.

Dutchie30

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Question: Do the 4mp cameras have a 4:3 mode like the 3MP cameras? I have a few spots where I use 2048x1536 (4:3) because it gives a litter more vertical field of view at the expense of horizontal field of view.

Do the 4mp cams have this or are they wide screen only?
They do not. The 4MP resolution is 2688×1520 as per the spec sheet, which is close to 16:9.