How can I see with all those trees? pics inside

Reaction score
Hi folks.
I just recently discovered the world of iptv, and im in the fist steps of my setup.
Right now, im planning some places and getting some idea on how to start.
My biggest concern is, how the hell i can get some clear images with all the trees i have in my property.
I tinkered a bit with IPVM, bit i think that im more lost than any other thing, between ranges, angles, ppf...
Here I atached some pics from google earth, so you can see how many trees are.

Captura de pantalla (291).png Captura de pantalla (290).png Captura de pantalla (289).png Captura de pantalla (288).png

Right now my plan is to get a first varifocal turret (looking for insight here too(2mp starlight 5231R-ZE as i read, but Andy showed that will be a good load of new cameras soon)), and setup a test rig, so i can figure which are the better focal lengh of each camera. But im lost about where i can start viewving the obvious right spots to place the camera. I have 20m STP cat5e to start.

A few questions i had right now.
-Is better to have 2 small poe switch (4-8 port) instead one bigger one?
-STP or UTP?
-Can I run 5e between camera and switch and cat6 only in the uplink to the computer? bottlenecks?
-can i run the poe switch directly from the computer (aditional nic), or is better to go throught a router.
-Is there any issue with branded nics (intel better than realtek...).
-I had automatic pir lights outside, will be any issue between them and the cameras? should i disconect/remove them?

Thanks you

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) It is personal preference on the POE switches. I use multiple POE switches, spread out around the house, It allows me to have shorted cable runs. In case of a failure I only loose some cameras not all.
2) I use STP - T568B solid copper wire not CCA (copper clad aluminum)
3) 5e or 6 does not really mater for me, as the traffic on a camera is low.
4) The POE starts at a switch or injector. Do not run your cameras through your router. a simple layout, PC or NVR to a POE switch, POE switch to cameras, poe switch to router.
5) To me i have and no problems with a nic.
6) There are some issues with the white visible lights coming on and off it blinds the cameras for a few seconds.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
11) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The trees may mean you need a few more cameras to provide good overview (situational awareness), but you're first goal is to cover access/choke points, doors, etc. where unwelcome visitors would pass, and get close-in good ID. You'll be looking out not in. Dont worry about scenic shots, the camera placements that count most are usually not big wide open pretty scenes.

You';ll likely find you can cover most of the important stuff <20ft with that 5231 VF and/or the baby brother 2231. Why mess with fixed focus?

I'm a complete networking idiot so cant help there. See @SouthernYankee 's post above