How does Blue Iris handle motion detection?

kurben

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a question regarding how Blue Iris handle motion detection. For example, I now use a 8ch NVR (N6200-8E) a cheap china disk based NVR. It records the h.264 streams that it grabs directly without transcoding from the Cameras. The NVR itself does not use any motion detection but instead uses the alarm or motion detection setup in all of the individual cameras.

I would like to have the similar based system on a PC based solution as it would lower the hardware requirements significantly.

So my question is can Blue Iris use the same function? Or does it analyze all of the camera streams without using the functions in the cameras?

Another question, can Blue Iris record the h.264 streams direct to disk without transcoding? If so the hardware should not be as important?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a question regarding how Blue Iris handle motion detection. For example, I now use a 8ch NVR (N6200-8E) a cheap china disk based NVR. It records the h.264 streams that it grabs directly without transcoding from the Cameras. The NVR itself does not use any motion detection but instead uses the alarm or motion detection setup in all of the individual cameras.

I would like to have the similar based system on a PC based solution as it would lower the hardware requirements significantly.

So my question is can Blue Iris use the same function? Or does it analyze all of the camera streams without using the functions in the cameras?

Another question, can Blue Iris record the h.264 streams direct to disk without transcoding? If so the hardware should not be as important?
It can do both. But it will still require decent hardware. An i5-4590 haswell system can be had for 300 or less.

Avareh

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was also looking into Blue Iris since I was not happy with how Motion Detection is set on my own camera. I have since a few days a Ganvis GV-T530A, including their own windows based CMS system to configure, use and also record motions. I have at home a few years old desktop, Windows10 (x64) desktop with a few SATA disk built in to save all video's shot by 2 more IP-cam's.

Working with different alarm settings, lens sensitivity, threshold settings, ... of this Ganvis camera is like a torture. I really can not get it to record the motions decently. Let me explain 1st something: I also have another outdoor HD Y-Cam with fully cloud based support for a 7-days retention to save all video's triggered and recorded by motion. Using browser (or my mobile App) I see on Y-Cam server all motions exactly few seconds before they start, including a few seconds after moving object disappears on lens. I like this , also the fact I can play with sensitivity to determine if flying insects should be skipped, different zones, ....

My Ganvis can be set to record the motions for instance 60 seconds, which here is also my problem: it records almost after running/driving object is almost in the middle of lens, then 2 second of motion plus 58 seconds of complete silence on street.

Does Blue Iris:
- Has such intelligence to analyse the picture and record the motion as Y-Cam do? so records a few seconds before and also a few seconds after motion was detected? can it be pre-configured like that?
- Can you play with sensitivity in software, loose from camera sensitivity setting?
- How good can Blue Iris (API) talk to my Ganvis? suppose I put in Ganvis: Treshhold=0, Sensitivity=100, can I then fully rely on Blue Iris intelligence?
- Does Blue Iris support different Zones in picture to distinguish any motions? can I set different Zones with different sensitivity? For instance I want only to record motions on street (in front of my low fence) when people, cars, bikes, .. pass but I want to have (at the same time) much higher sensitivity to even record a small bird entering the yard?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I was also looking into Blue Iris since I was not happy with how Motion Detection is set on my own camera. I have since a few days a Ganvis GV-T530A, including their own windows based CMS system to configure, use and also record motions. I have at home a few years old desktop, Windows10 (x64) desktop with a few SATA disk built in to save all video's shot by 2 more IP-cam's.

Working with different alarm settings, lens sensitivity, threshold settings, ... of this Ganvis camera is like a torture. I really can not get it to record the motions decently. Let me explain 1st something: I also have another outdoor HD Y-Cam with fully cloud based support for a 7-days retention to save all video's triggered and recorded by motion. Using browser (or my mobile App) I see on Y-Cam server all motions exactly few seconds before they start, including a few seconds after moving object disappears on lens. I like this , also the fact I can play with sensitivity to determine if flying insects should be skipped, different zones, ....

My Ganvis can be set to record the motions for instance 60 seconds, which here is also my problem: it records almost after running/driving object is almost in the middle of lens, then 2 second of motion plus 58 seconds of complete silence on street.

Does Blue Iris:
- Has such intelligence to analyse the picture and record the motion as Y-Cam do? so records a few seconds before and also a few seconds after motion was detected? can it be pre-configured like that?
- Can you play with sensitivity in software, loose from camera sensitivity setting?
- How good can Blue Iris (API) talk to my Ganvis? suppose I put in Ganvis: Treshhold=0, Sensitivity=100, can I then fully rely on Blue Iris intelligence?
- Does Blue Iris support different Zones in picture to distinguish any motions? can I set different Zones with different sensitivity? For instance I want only to record motions on street (in front of my low fence) when people, cars, bikes, .. pass but I want to have (at the same time) much higher sensitivity to even record a small bird entering the yard?
Yes. Download the demo.
You would set all the motion in blue iris, not the camera since your cameras motion detection is not good.

Avareh

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I did, but so far I did not manage to get BI working:
- First using Ganvis CMS set everything back, sensitivity is now 100% on camera
- Downloaded/installed the BI within a minute
- Even I did not find Ganvis on the list of supported devices of BI web site, it was detected in no time
- I managed to enter credential, see now streaming thru BI interface
- Shut down the Ganvis CMS to continue on BI
- Enabled the Profile 1, in properties box I see Schedule 1 is Active
- For Alert 1: I enabled All Motion Zones
- For Trigger: profile 1 is Active, Source: Motion Sensor
- In Motion Sensor settings (Configure) I increased the sensitivity (now set to 183)
- Continued with enabling/checking the Object Detection
- Continued with enabling/checking Used Zones and hot spot (I see whole screen is now Green or selected)
- In Record tab: Video is checked and also set to When triggered

I thought it should be it, but when objects pass in front of fence nothing is recorded. I can manually trigger a record and I can see it's saved in C:\BlueIris\New (as I saw in one of tabs) but no motions are automatically recorded. What I am missing is documentation including different scenario's, this El-Cheapo Ganvis seems to be regarding that much further than BI. I got a few PDF and MS-Word files, even a movie delivered on CD showing how to configure device, work with CMS, ... The only thing I've seen so far in BI is the Help file but this is not enough.

Am I missing something regarding motion detection? should I enable few options in Post tab?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
the default settings should trigger recording, but you can adjust the settings for each camera in the
camera properties / record
and
camera properties / trigger /motion sensor - configure
windows.

you could also post screen shots here of your settings and someone might be able make suggestions
to achieive the results you need...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The help file is enough...you just need to read it.

Avareh

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here I've the print-screen of different tabs/settings: so far no motion is captured:

Alert.pngGeneral.pngMotionSensor.pngMotionZones.pngObjectdetection.pngPost.pngRecord.pngSchedule.pngTrigger.png

Avareh

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The help file is enough...you just need to read it.
I don't agree with that. Help file is one of the things you definitely need. Good documentation includes docs (PDF, ...) to read, FAQ, Movies, ...
Why I have to come every time to my attic - where my monitoring Desktop with BI running on it - located to find something in help file? May be I wanna sit on my sofa downstairs and read the documentation while I am having my coffee!

Last edited by a moderator:

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
well, you could print out the help file if you want it that way.

i don't see anything wrong or missing with you settings.
you might try decreasing the 'min duration/make time' in the
trigger / motion sensor/ configure screen. 1.0 second may be a bit long, but should work at some point...

if that doesn't help, you might try entirely deleting the camera from BI and and re-adding it...

Do you have hardware acceleration enabled? In BI Options / cameras.
If so, try turning it off. change requires restart...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't agree with that. Help file is one of the things you definitely need. Good documentation includes docs (PDF, ...) to read, FAQ, Movies, ...
Why I have to come every time to my attic - where my monitoring Desktop with BI running on it - located to find something in help file? May be I wanna sit on my sofa downstairs and read the documentation while I am having my coffee!
as state you can print the help file. The reading the help file on the couch is useless, you need to activly be in front of the computer and interact with blue iris if you expect to learn anything. The help file is constantly evolving. There is only a single person developing and supporting blue iris. Id rather he spend time adding function than making silly videos. The help file is VERY detailed and folks simply dont read it. You dont have to go up to your attic, you can remote into the pc. As pozzelo said you need to lower you make time. Also, if you have set blue iris to record direct to disk you must set your cameras iframe interval to match the fps as the blue iris will only begin recording when a new full frame is sent. You also need to set your pretrigger frames to 2-4 times your FPS. That explains why you are missing motion.
The post tab has nothing to do with recording - if you would read the help file you would see that.