How many of you have cameras inside for intruder detection?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Outside of the typical baby monitoring situation, I was curious how many people use security cameras INSIDE their home.

Whenever I see camera footage on TV or the internet, usually indoor samples are much clearer and very easily identify an intruder. I assume this is mostly attributed to the cameras typically being much closer to the subject, (8 ' ceiling vs. on the corner rafter of your house) as they pass by, and would typically have better lighting and\or IR possibilities.

I get that optimally the point of a security camera would be to notify you of someone lurking or attempting to get in so you could do something about it before they take your stuff.
But I imagine in reality, a large percentage of break-ins occur while the home owner is away and they happen fast.

Having a clear video of someone actually coming in your front door or in the process of looting your home is after the fact but still good additional evidence, (assuming no hoodie and sunglasses which kind of kill the whole deal), which is why I was considering doing a couple indoor cameras.

Privacy concerns then do pop up...I mean the WAF of recording 24/7 indoors when she may run to the kitchen in her undies for a snack is probably pretty low. There are lots of ways I'm sure though to set timers and other smart scheduling to not record at certain times but that leaves you at risk if something happens when they are not on.

How about placement choice. Do you place them looking at the entrance points and hallways only or have one recording an entire living space or on different levels or specific rooms?
How about a stand alone hidden camera \ NVR pointed at your primary NVR server\ computer and misc equipment so if it's stolen you have a recording of who took it. :)

So, anyway I was just curious to gauge how popular indoor camera use is and get people's thoughts in general on the practice and how others use them.

spencnor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I get that optimally the point of a security camera would be to notify you of someone lurking or attempting to get in so you could do something about it before they take your stuff.
But I imagine in reality, a large percentage of break-ins occur while the home owner is away and they happen fast.
I'll join this discussion:) I installed a Hikvision cube right next to my front door looking into my foyer and stairs up. This is the only inside cam I intend to install. I do block all my cams internet access. I don't trust video analytics yet to reliably alert me that a break in has occurred. It seems many here have suppplemented their cams with additional sensors such as PIR's, pressure mats, etc. because the various IP cam video motion technologies give too many false alerts. It seems the Dahua IVS is better and I'm thinking I may give that a try. I'm currently using BI, but thinking of adding a Dahua NVR as a backup so I can try the Dahua software.

My first line of security deterrence, of course besides secured doors and windows, is a separate stand alone burglar alarm system. I have the usual door and window contacts, glass breaks, and many dual tech motion sensors. I also have two exterior sirens at the front and side of the house. I trust this system to reliably annunciate a break in and alarm. The cams basically give me something else to look at when my alarm system goes off. Also, if something happens in the neighborhood I can review video to assist neighbors.

So to your question, I too wonder what others do with a camera alert when they are away. Do they look at the alert and see an intruder then immediately call LE? Whether it's an alarm system going off or a cam alert, by the time LE responds the intruders are long gone. I get that after this has happened it MAY help ID and catch the bad guy:(.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I use motion sensors inside/outside when I'm away,sends a push notification to my phone. I then look at the cameras to see what's going on. The outside sensors are on a different system then inside sensors. Also have cameras outside and inside

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It isn't too hard to only record the indoor cams when you alarm system is armed away or in alarm

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So to your question, I too wonder what others do with a camera alert when they are away. Do they look at the alert and see an intruder then immediately call LE? Whether it's an alarm system going off or a cam alert, by the time LE responds the intruders are long gone. I get that after this has happened it MAY help ID and catch the bad guy:(.
If you call your local department (you should have their local number on speed dial, not 911) and report an active intruder, most will respond crazy fast.

spencnor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you call your local department (you should have their local number on speed dial, not 911) and report an active intruder, most will respond crazy fast.
I do call our local LE non-emergency number when we notice anybody suspicious around. They usually respond in less than 20 minutes, but not crazy fast;)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I do call our local LE non-emergency number when we notice anybody suspicious around. They usually respond in less than 20 minutes, but not crazy fast;)
Yes because that is not an active intruder..Big difference..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
....in which case I call 911
not if you are not at the location..otherwise you get the nearest 911 dispatch center and lose valuable time...read your own post again, the scenario is one where you are not at home. You will get an immediate response if you say I can see the intruder live on video..very different than calling and reporting something suspicious..

spencnor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
not if you are not at the location..otherwise you get the nearest 911 dispatch center and lose valuable time...read your own post again, the scenario is one where you are not at home. You will get an immediate response if you say I can see the intruder live on video..very different than calling and reporting something suspicious..
I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying where I live a non-emergency call does not get you an immediate response. It boils down to a judgement call depending on what the person, or potential intruder, is doing at the time.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying where I live a non-emergency call does not get you an immediate response. It boils down to a judgement call depending on what the person, or potential intruder, is doing at the time.
Huh? you have never done it so how would you know? It is an emergency call if you report someone is actually in the house...
There is a huge distinction between hey this guy looks suspicious and hey there is someone inside my house robbing it...

Last edited:

spencnor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Huh? you have never done it so how would you know? It is an emergency call if you report someone is actually in the house...
There is a huge distinction between hey this guy looks suspicious and hey there is someone inside my house robbing it...
Again, I'm in agreement:)

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
If someone is outside and you aren't there, tell them you think he has a gun or something.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If someone is outside and you aren't there, tell them you think he has a gun or something.

Don't lie. You could probably say there's a bulge in his hoodie that might be a gun without lying, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Last edited:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Well it's hard to see on a cam sometimes, better safe than sorry ;)

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Fenderman is right ! Been a police officer for 12 years, with my police force if someone says they seen someone suspicious, we try our very best to get to the call, no lights ,no siren ,no running red lights.15 minutes is a good time. However if someone calls and says a Intruder is in the house that is very different, we use lights,siren ect... to get there as fast as we can. Also never ever lie to the police, if you lie and say someone is in your house that isn't that's a false report, also you put others on the road in danger because we are racing to help.

Last edited:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Fenderman is right ! Been a police officer for 12 years, with my police force if someone says they seen someone suspicious, we try our very best to get to the call, no lights ,no siren ,no running red lights.15 minutes is a good time. However if someone calls and says a Intruder is in the house that is very different, we use lights,siren ect... to get there as fast as we can. Also never ever lie to the police, if you lie and say someone is in your house that isn't that's a false report, also you put others on the road in danger because we are racing to help.
Never said they were in the house, said it looks like they have a gun, very hard to prove someone lied about what they think they see in a smart phone screen. :)

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Also if you know your location and where your located at, don't call 911 call the local PD always. 911 is for people that have no idea where they are, and something bad is happening . 911 takes longer because they need to find your location,and the nearest police department to you,which will easily take 5 minutes to get the call through. Always have your local PD,EMS,Fire on speed dial on your phone.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Never said they were in the house, said it looks like they have a gun, very hard to prove someone lied about what they think they see in a smart phone screen. :)
Believe it or not, we know better this type of stuff happens a lot ,because people want us to respond faster. Your putting people at risk for no reason.