How much data can a SD card hold...

Gadget -X

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Looking at a 4MP Hikvision camera setups. Max SD size is 128 GB. H264 encoding. Realistically how many hours before over writing starts say with 15-20fps. In general terms, I know scene and lighting contribute.

Thanks

M

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking at a 4MP Hikvision camera setups. Max SD size is 128 GB. H265 encoding. Realistically how many hours before over writing starts say with 15-20fps. In general terms, I know scene and lighting contribute.

Thanks

M
All depends on bitrate...

Reaction score
At your configured "Maximum Bit Rate" at least 2.31 days (thanks @bp2008) but as fenderman said it boils down to your actual average bitrate and as @bp2008 taught me here that can depend on day/night, motion, seasons etc.

5120 Kbps * 24 hours - Google Search = 55GB per/day
128 GB / 5120Kbps - Google Search = 2.31 days

For what it's worth, my configured maximum bit rate on a remote 1.3M H.264H camera set to VBR and 2 FPS is 1536 Kb/s - but my average actual rate for the month is: 38.8 kBps (or: 310.2 Kb/s). so if your ratio of movement is similar to an empty house your 128GB card might hold 6.9 days!

Also here someone used a 200 GB card with success on a Hikvision camera, not sure if it applies to your case, but that could be an option to extend the time window.

Gadget -X

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Trying to put my arms around if even having a SD card is necessary. The cameras without are less expensive as well as the 128gb cards cost. My old cameras are 7-10 days of recording which I considered useful.

M

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
One has to remember manuals are written at a point in time, thus, 128gb micro sd cards may have been the maximum size on the market at the time the manual was written.

I cannot think of a technical reason why a larger-capacity micro sd card would not work, although there's likely an upper limit based on the file system the card is formatted with, and any data structures used by the camera's firmware itself.

I use 1TB partitions on my NAS for all my cameras, and they format out fine, so I would expect the cameras would work with a 1TB micro sd card, once they become available in the future.

Gadget -X

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Is there a brand and model that works best in the newer cameras? What Read/write speeds should the card be?

M

Last edited: