How To Constant Record Surveillance

Reaction score
Hello, Newbe here and have a question. I have several camera's and they are different manufacturers. I was wondering is there a way to constantly record using a NVR (wireless) and save to a hard drive? Or do I have to buy a complete package with all matching components? Right now I try to use them to record on motion detection, but they are so sensitive I get lots of random alerts like trees, bugs flying by and shadows moving.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Wireless and security are mutually exclusive terms.

The simplest, and easiest, solution is a dedicated PC running Blue Iris or other VMS software. An NVR, generally, limits you the cameras that match the same brand NVR. Blue Iris will work with anything that has an RSTP stream. Look in the WiKI in the blue bar at the top of the page. Lots of great information there.

Reaction score
Okay, I see you can buy the software for $59 I can pick up a used PC with a big hard drive I suppose. Is there a way to axis the recorded video remotely that will be stored on that dedicated pc?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello, Newbe here and have a question. I have several camera's and they are different manufacturers. I was wondering is there a way to constantly record using a NVR (wireless) and save to a hard drive? Or do I have to buy a complete package with all matching components? Right now I try to use them to record on motion detection, but they are so sensitive I get lots of random alerts like trees, bugs flying by and shadows moving.
Welcome @Eye-Open-75

Q) I was wondering is there a way to constantly record using a NVR (wireless) and save to a hard drive?
A) Yes, of course depends on the cameras you have and the specs they follow. ( hint NVR should be the same OEM as the cameras for best results and the tech features supported.. i.e. advanced features like IVS / smart events ) You can also use software (VMS) on a PC. Many members prefer Blue Iris.

Do see the wiki, and the cliff notes.. a lot of this is covered well here.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
.As a very recent convert I will offer this tidbit: I have a dozen wifi cameras. They are actual good quality, hi res cams and they capture good quality video with good color and great low light performance. The PTZs even auto track and they have several other nice features; they save to the cloud as well as locally to sd cards. With all those great things, what they DON'T have is RELIABLE surveillance, immediate, complete viewing, lag-free response, full time recording, adjustability, customizability and the MOST important: They don't have useful support. The motion detection you complain about is their trademark fail. They trigger on a shadow's slide across the yard, a moth, a wiggle of a web strand and completely MISS the car going by. The last straw for me is hearing something bump against the outside wall, check the cameras to see what that might have been, whether there's a CURRENT threat, a prowler, etc.... So, I open the app, wait for it to get ready, find the camera I want to view and the app just spins its little timer, around and around and around and I'm still trying to see if there is a threat RIGHT NOW! and it goes around and around and around.... THAT is what wifi does when you actually NEED IT.
Also, continuous 24/7 recording is glorious. Learning from the neighbors that a thief was in their driveway last night and you look at YOUR wifi cams to see, and there were no motion events recorded at the time. Do you feel satisfied that he didn't visit you? With real full time recording, you'll be able to know for certain.

Reaction score
MeSurly - thanks for you input sounds just like my situation. I'm not much of a techi and don't want to re-invent the wheel so I really don't know where to start. I was trying to figure out the hard drive size someone needs and if I'm reading right, to run two cameras full time recording I need a 6-8 tb to record constantly for a week, then I assume it starts over and re-writes. What kind of equipment and software are you running? How many camera's are recording constantly and how many days of recording do you capture? thanks

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
MeSurly - thanks for you input sounds just like my situation. I'm not much of a techi and don't want to re-invent the wheel so I really don't know where to start. I was trying to figure out the hard drive size someone needs and if I'm reading right, to run two cameras full time recording I need a 6-8 tb to record constantly for a week, then I assume it starts over and re-writes. What kind of equipment and software are you running? How many camera's are recording constantly and how many days of recording do you capture? thanks
First, understand that I'm NEW here and all these other guys who posted have the actual info and expertise. I am still trying to get up to speed.
The first point is that you are on the right track, BUT your numbers are off quite a bit; it's much better than that. For two cameras, full time, you do not need 6TB for a week. My (limited) experience is that with three 8MP cams and one 4MP cam, I am storing at a rate of 12GB/hr. Extrapolating (not necessarily accurate, just thumb-nailing) that's 3G/H per cam. 140 G/D, so about a week on ONE TB.

Everyone says read the Wiki, the Cliff notes. Yes, I KNOW there's lot there and it looks daunting to read. You dont want a study assignment, you just want answers...I GET it. There is a TON to be learned reading the materials and almost all of our newbie questions are addressed therein. Also look for SouthernYankee's posts to read his "standard startup reply". Extremely helpful stuff!

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The size of the harddrive depends on the size of the camera frame (2mp, 4mp, 8mp) and the number of frames per second and the type of compression. Assuming a 4 MP camera at 15 FPS using h.264 compression. That is about 3.1GB per hour or 520 GB per week, or 0.6 TB per week for one camera. A 4TB wd purple drive will store two cameras for over a 3 weeks. There is absolutely no need to record higher than 15 FPS for a simple home surveillance system.

If using an NVR it is strongly recommended to use cameras and NVR from the same manufacture. It will reduce the number of problems.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree with @MrSurly. My LPR (License Plate Reader) 4MP camera recording 25FPS at a CBR of 8192Kb/s writes about 3.6GB an hour using H.265. Thats only ~605GB a week.

Keep in mind I have that camera set to maximum recording quality. If you use VBR coupled with 15FPS then you will be waaay under that!

Last edited:

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There is info in the Wiki, etc about PC selection; The key take-away IMHO is look for an Intel CPU that is an i5 or higher AND is an eighth generation or higher. The gen number appears just after the dash; "i7-8445" (8th gen), "i5-9210" (9th gen). The generation is actually more important than the "i" number. An i5-8xxx is better than an i7-6xxx. Avoid chips with suffixes such as T or U as these are low power chips for laptops. I learned these things by NOT waiting to do the research. I bought a PC with an i5-6500T, so I got it all wrong. It WORKS, mind you, but an eighth gen would be faster.

Reaction score
Okay, thanks I will start doing some research on finding a refurbished PC computer with a large HD and the correct cpu and windows 10.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are possibly headed for disaster if you don't take the time on a real computer, not a cell phone, to study the links you have been given. You won't absorb it all in an afternoon.

See attached as well.

Attachments

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Okay, thanks I will start doing some research on finding a refurbished PC computer with a large HD and the correct cpu and windows 10.
Note that you can always add or upgrade the HDD, don't let the included storage decide which machine to buy. Buy the machine based those characteristics that you cannot change. This means:
1. Make sure it has a good speedy processor.
2. Make sure it is able to TAKE at least 16GB of ram, or better, 32. (you can add ram, don't fret over how much it comes with, find out how much it can HOLD.)
3. Make sure it has USB 3 ports. That way you can easily add external storage anytime. (USB 2 is far too slow)

read all the wiki things

Last edited: