How to install PoE camera with limited attic access?

Nixer22

n3wb
Reaction score
Yep turn extended mode off.

All that matters is that the cameras that need power are in a POE port - any other connections can go to any port including a POE port.
It's a no go with the extended mode turned off.

Nixer22

n3wb
Reaction score
BAd cable termination would be confirmed if swapping cameras showed similar result on known good cam
The cable I bought came with the connectors already attached. If I need to do it, I think it would probably be easier to just put a new termination end on the possible bad cable. Is that feasible?

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
I have had bad cameras act this way before, but no telling until you use the process of elimination. you need to take down the camera and plug it in to switch with a good known working short premade cable. you also need to test the ethernet wire going to the camera, because it could have been the cause of damaging the camera by shorting out the circuit board in it. ( pinched wire, damaged wire).

NOYAFA Advanced Network Cable Tester With PoE& NCV & Lamp For CAT5e/CAT6/CAT6a, Multifunction Wire Tracker Cable Tester For Tracker Underground Telephone Line Finder Home Repair: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Last edited:

CaptainKen

n3wb
Reaction score
The old saying where there's a will there's a way applies here. Figure out where you want to mount the cameras and then determine all possible access points to those areas to run cable. In some cases even cathedral ceilings have enough access space to run a cable but you might have to fish it through with a long fiberglass rod made for that purpose or some other method. Just be creative in your planning. Also consider mounting the cameras on a pole away from the house...that's what I did and it gives me a full parameter view. Not an easy install but the results are worth the effort.
Rather than a hollow fiberglass rod, I’ve used pvc piping many times.