How to make IVS work if pointed to the ground?

amrogers3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Been trying (unsuccessfully) to make IVS work. I have a Boobie cam on the porch with one camera point down for mail. I want to use that cam to detect someone coming up to my door at night. Relay out is wired to a siren.

I have been trying both tripwires and intrusions and nothing works. The only thing that does work is motion is motion detection but that isn't ideal because it is going to trigger if a cat walks up.

I've also tried "Global Setup" but that doesn't seem to work either.

Anyone got IVS to work for a setup like this?

Tripwire:

Screen Shot 2023-06-30 at 7.27.44 PM.png

Intrusion:

Screen Shot 2023-06-30 at 7.04.37 PM.png

amrogers3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think the problem is it wants to "see" a person and just a person's legs won't trigger it??

amrogers3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Alright tried a couple things with no luck.

Raised sensitivity to 10. Tried both Intrusion - Appears and Cross

Tried Intrusion - "Inside".
No luck.

Screen Shot 2023-06-30 at 9.31.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-06-30 at 9.34.41 PM.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are correct - that is probably not the field of view the AI was developed on, so you are seeing more of tops of heads or lower bodies.

You could also try the global config and see if that helps, but that is an awkward field of view.

You will probably have to go to motion detection if it isn't reliably triggering with IVS.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
The problem is your lines are going in the wrong direction. That double ended blue arrow is the direction of travel in which crossing the lines is detected. For you the person will be coming North to South or vice versa, and the direction of travel line is East / West.

You should redraw your trip wires taking the points wall to wall. Personally I'd fill the entire picture with trips as there's no area there that anyone should be entering and the distance to your door is short.

Also, if using BI, set pre-record to 5 seconds. Doin this uses slightly more memory but ensures you never miss anything as the rrecording has already started before the person reaches the triggers the trips. This may be important if someone is running or if they do something as they cross the 1st line as there's a delay between crossing and tripping.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
This is how I would draw the trips - ignore your blue square around the edge, my photo skills don't extend to removing it. The vertical lines are extras just to cover where someone stops after tripping and then goes in the other direction. Add as few or as many as you are allowed. BTW if you need more lines than a single instance will allow, simply add another trip rule and you can draw more. The priority though are the ones side to side and pay attention to how the double edged blue arrow lines up:

Screen Shot 2023-06-30 at 7.04.37 PM.png

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
After reading up to here, I'm agreeing that the human algorithm just can't make an ID from above. Global config compensates for elevation angle, but straight up would be a different story. From straight above, how could the algorithm tell the difference between a human, porcupine, or Wilson the basketball? Besides heads of hair, there are hats and hair styles to confuse things. I don't know how old your boobie cam would be. I think the only hope would be if you could find some old firmware that will let IVS recognize non-human and non-vehicle targets. I'm running firmware from 2019 in my 5442s to accomplish this.

amrogers3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The problem is your lines are going in the wrong direction.
Very interesting suggestions. Didn't even think of that. How about this? I will test tomorrow.

I can either space these out more or add about 5 more lines making the spacing between lines more narrow. Looks like I have 14 lines going back and forth, it allows 19 lines total.

Also, it will only allow one set of lines per each IVS trigger and a total of 4 IVS triggers.

EDIT: forgot to mention, I am using a Dahua NVR, not BI.

Screen Shot 2023-06-30 at 11.29.22 PM.png

Last edited:

amrogers3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You could also try the global config and see if that helps, but that is an awkward field of view.
Hey Witt, I've tried Global Settings but didnt seem to affect anything. However, full disclosure, I am not sure I did it correctly. I did some digging on the forum here and it sounds like only Dahua's engineers really know how this Global Setting config works.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I suspected that global config wouldn't help in that situation as the bodies are more "squished" in your field of view (meaning the head and feet are closer to the same plane than looking at a human from 6 feet looking outward, but it was the last thing to try before going to simple motion detection.

amrogers3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
...it was the last thing to try before going to simple motion detection.
The problem with motion detection is that it will trigger when the porch light comes on. I DO NOT have "scene changing" enabled and a simple light change will trigger the relay-out and sound the alarm.
Not to mention any animals that decide to visit my front door at night will trigger the alarm.

Screen Shot 2023-06-30 at 11.41.29 PM.png

Last edited:

amrogers3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY

Would it be possible to ask your engineers if Dahua cameras will register an object as human from the waist down?

In my particular situation, the way the camera is situated, only the individual's legs are visible.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY

Would it be possible to ask your engineers if Dahua cameras will register an object as human from the waist down?

In my particular situation, the way the camera is situated, only the individual's legs are visible.

The waist down isn't the issue it is your angle. My Dahua's will trigger with a waist down, but it is at a better field of view and more of straight on than a vertical field of view like yours, so mine doesn't need to see the upper torso LOL. And then on the flip side, for people on the bottom of my image, it will IVS trigger with just the upper torso.

1688187534815.png

Time to go to BI and train your own model to your camera LOL.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also keep in mind that the boobie camera is a great camera and serves a purpose, but the processor in it is undersized and many people have seen it struggle with IVS even with a better field of view.

Are you running IVS on both cams? If so, try it on just one.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Make a simple test of the human detection algorithm:
Turn IVS off for now.
Turn motion detection on. Set sensitivity to zero.
Turn SMD on and select human. Set high sensitivity. (imho, "high" is most willing to see humans)
Set motion recording on.

The camera should now trigger whenever it concludes that it sees something human.
Does it?

If you don't get SMD to work from that angle, try IVS without human filter. Does it trigger now?

Last edited:

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't think you need to point it straight down.
Raise it up a bit.
You will still be able to see people approaching coming onto your porch.