How to setup Dahua IVS with BlueIris?

Reaction score
Grrr..... can't get this dog to go.... screenshots from one cam...
media profile is correct with 5 zero's, and the full string is in Params starting with channel

cam vid setting BI.JPG

This tab looks right....

trigger settings BI.JPG

The alerts tab has motion zones unchecked and ONVIF checked...

Alerts tab BI.JPG

The camera settings...
The "setting" button has all days selected and saved.
IVS--door.JPG

Hmmmmm...No intrusion or tripwire is triggering and causing BI to record.

Reaction score
OK---- so I got those three newest cams set up with IVS. BI is NOT processing any motion detection on them.
I changed another cam-- old one without advanced features, to process motion detection in the cam. other 2 cams are for testing things...
I'm Trying to figure out why that cpu is running at 47% doing less work...... BI is the CPU hog on this. I was expecting it to be down under 30% or less..... This is a never-ending circus of nerdy fun!

1595812013215.png

Geomancer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry for late reply, I stopped getting emails on this for some reason.

CPU usage isn't really impacted much by motion detection itself directly (maybe on lots of cameras, but didn't for me on only 6). The biggest factors are resolution and frame rate of the cameras. This is why I use sub streams as it results in over a 50% reduction in CPU usage. This was the indirect cost of using BI for motion detection, I needed the higher resolution streams to get enough pixels for BI motion detection to work properly since the minimum pixels in BI are set really high. D1 resolution is 720x480 pixels so a minimum of 100 pixels is huge!

Now that the cameras themselves are handling the motion detection, I can give BI the substreams at a D1 resolution rather than a much higher 720p, 1080p, or 1440p stream. It only uses these substreams when you're viewing multiple cameras at once. If you go full screen on a camera, it will switch to the full main stream (in my case, that's 4MP = 1440p). The recordings are also done from the full resolution of the main stream, make sure you have Direct to Disc recording on so the processor doesn't have to decode & re-encode video for recording.

Reaction score
Sorry for late reply, I stopped getting emails on this for some reason.

CPU usage isn't really impacted much by motion detection itself directly (maybe on lots of cameras, but didn't for me on only 6). The biggest factors are resolution and frame rate of the cameras. This is why I use sub streams as it results in over a 50% reduction in CPU usage. This was the indirect cost of using BI for motion detection, I needed the higher resolution streams to get enough pixels for BI motion detection to work properly since the minimum pixels in BI are set really high. D1 resolution is 720x480 pixels so a minimum of 100 pixels is huge!

Now that the cameras themselves are handling the motion detection, I can give BI the substreams at a D1 resolution rather than a much higher 720p, 1080p, or 1440p stream. It only uses these substreams when you're viewing multiple cameras at once. If you go full screen on a camera, it will switch to the full main stream (in my case, that's 4MP = 1440p). The recordings are also done from the full resolution of the main stream, make sure you have Direct to Disc recording on so the processor doesn't have to decode & re-encode video for recording.
Definite Plus on Direct-to-Disc recording. I stopped using the substreams because I get a pic every 10 minutes from my cameras-- and that pic was at the crappy D1 resolution. I could probably switch back on 2 of the 4 I moved off of substreams though.... And to clarify--- an EXTERNAL trigger will switch BI to FULL-Res Main stream for the recording? If I have a 3 or 4 second PRE-Trigger buffer-- is BI maintaining that from the Main stream, or from the D1 stream?

Geomancer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by getting a pic every 10 minutes? Do you mean it emailing or sending an MMS message to your phone? Or it saves a still image every 10 minutes instead of continuously recording?

I do continuous recording and haven't messed with only recording on triggers so I don't know if that behaves differently. With the continuous recording, they're absolutly at full resolution. I get about 10.5 days on a 6TB hard drive.

I would think it should use the mainstream for all that though. On the Video Settings, do you have the main stream in the "Params" field and an entire second string in the sub stream box (like in my screenshot from before)?

Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by getting a pic every 10 minutes? Do you mean it emailing or sending an MMS message to your phone? Or it saves a still image every 10 minutes instead of continuously recording?

I do continuous recording and haven't messed with only recording on triggers so I don't know if that behaves differently. With the continuous recording, they're absolutly at full resolution. I get about 10.5 days on a 6TB hard drive.

I would think it should use the mainstream for all that though. On the Video Settings, do you have the main stream in the "Params" field and an entire second string in the sub stream box (like in my screenshot from before)?

Yeah--- I only record when triggered. In addition, I save a jpg every 10 minutes-- it does Not use the good stream to grab that jpg with the substream entered. Others who save stills on a schedule had the same issue.

Here is the setting. I am on version 5.3.03 now. I may test this to see if that feature was changed.

1596133737403.png

sr85

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all

It seems like you guys have done a great job in working out how to get the Dahua IVS working on the camera and triggering in BlueIris, is it still working well for you a few months later?

I'm looking at creating a similar setup with 2 of these Dahua turret cam's, do you guys believe that I should be able to get this working too?

Ideally I'd like to offload the IVS detections to the camera rather than on the server/BlueIris end as I'm planning to repurpose an old Intel Core 2 Quad PC.

Geomancer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all

It seems like you guys have done a great job in working out how to get the Dahua IVS working on the camera and triggering in BlueIris, is it still working well for you a few months later?

I'm looking at creating a similar setup with 2 of these Dahua turret cam's, do you guys believe that I should be able to get this working too?

Ideally I'd like to offload the IVS detections to the camera rather than on the server/BlueIris end as I'm planning to repurpose an old Intel Core 2 Quad PC.
It's working okay, although the IVS is not perfect. It will miss triggers, or give false positives if you don't filter to 'humans'. It is probably good enough for most people, if you absolutely need to know if anyone even just walks through your yard, you may not want to rely only on it.

You can use both IVS and BlueIris motion detection at the same time.

khirsah

n3wb
Reaction score
I've read through this thread like 5 times now checking and rechecking and I can not get IVS working for the life of me. Can someone please review and guide me to where I screwed this up?

Camera: IPC-T5442TM-AS
Firmware: 2.800.0000000.20.R, Build Date: 2020-09-03
BI: 5.3.6.0 (was on an older version, just recently tried upgrading to see if that helps, new UI for Stream profiles, same problems)

• I've tried RSTP
  • I've tried HTTP
  • With a generic model and proto=Onvif in the string
  • I've tried with Dahua Make, ONVIF port 8999 and port 80...
  • I've tried with the admin login and a new onvif user with simple passwords in BI
  • I've tried lowering the encoders to not use Smart Codec or H265, think I saw a wiki from Dahua that you cant use those and IVS? I don't know..
  • I've tried it with Smart Plan IVS turned on and tried it with it off...
I do see this Events subscription in the Log..

What the heck am I doing wrong here. I am expecting to get a recording if someone drives past this 1st trip wire..

Please save me!

1606933484880.png

1606933721036.png

1606933170616.png

1606933185567.png

1606933267863.png

1606933250162.png

1606933366053.png

1606933373264.png

1606933379527.png

khirsah

n3wb
Reaction score
If I enable Video Detection, it will record any motion it sees... but thats the same as Motion Detection in BI.. so it seems the camera is sending trigger events.. just not the one I am looking for..

Geomancer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ONVIF Source in the video settings should be "MediaProfile00000" perhaps?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You cant edit it it seems. I think it was MediaProfile0000 in the last version and still didnt work.
There are several threads discussing issues with this in the latest version. You will have to revert back or wait for an update.

Geomancer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I updated BlueIris myself and noticed the same behavior, IVS camera triggers are completely broken or there is some new setting hidden somewhere that needs changed and of course isn't documented anywhere.

I reverted back and everything is once again working.

If anyone figures out what has to change in the new version of BI to get camera triggers to work again, please let us know.

Ford

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
IVS triggers (ONVIF) are working quite a bit better in 5.3.7.4.

IVS Triggers are being reported as ONVIF in the clips list again.

I am still seeing some ONVIF reset signals being missed on some cameras (even though others of the same model/revision/firmware are working correctly). It may be related to IVS type but I have not been able to reproduce the missed ONVIF resets so far.

khirsah

n3wb
Reaction score
Confirmed my setup works now in 5.3.7.4. Tripwires at least. Intrusion zones in the camera are not doing much for me..