HUGE RUMOR: Unifi Protect will support ONVIF cameras (like from HIK/Dahua)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Unifi Protect never had any ONVIF support before.
It was always a closed system - working only with Unifi cams...

I don't known from where @SFC have that information, but it isn't true..

G5 Pro camera have little bigger sensors (1/2") and optic zoom, but they aren't at 5xx2 level..
I didn't have any chance to test latest AI Pro cam - it has 1/1.8" sensor with 8Mpx - so it should be at 5842 level..

They are very good in upselling different solutions..
You buy 100 USD router and start playing with their unified web/mobile interface.
2 days latter you want to switch all WIFI access points and switches..
2 weeks latter you want switch cctv and access system..
He is likely referring to this. Ubiquiti Kills Any Hope Of Open Platform Video - IPVM Discussions Which is actually worse because they sold the cameras with rtsp support and just removed it. They can easily do it here as it is beta.
They make a good product that is not obscenely overpriced so they should benefit from those sales.

BenM

n3wb
Reaction score
v5.0.26 released

Live video feels way smoother, android app feels more responsive.

Last edited:

Freubel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For me the biggest benefit would be the possibility to add the G4 pro doorbell to the mix. At the moment you can't pull the stream into BI, so for me there was no use in adding Unifi protect or the G4 doorbell to my own installation because i would end up with 2 different NVR systems. But if we can mix and match...

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a UDM-Pro and the latest version of Protect is 4.1.53

Reaction score

In addition to the new version of Unifi Protect 5.0 (with ONVIF support and lots of new additions), Ubiquiti has presented the highest Unifi Enterprise NVR model (16 HDD bays) that scales in a clusters up to a thousand cameras per site. Everything without licenses fee per camera.

For me it is a strong hit in the market of medium & large installations, currently monopolized by several large suppliers of VMS solutions and cameras (Avigilon, Axis, Hanwha, Bosch, Milestone, Genetec) where you pay 4-digit amounts for each camera and VMS license for it.

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I finally got the Early Release installed and switch the settings for 3rd party cameras, but no cameras found.

I do have my IPCs on a separate VLAN, assuming that is the problem. Is there any way to fix this without having to reconfigure my IPC’s IP addresses?

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

1999 USD, 16 HDD bays, 3 10Gbit ports, 2 power supply..

Support for 70 4K cams or 140 4Mpx cams per each NVR, can be stacked into bigger cluster..
If there is no better support for third party cameras, its useless.

Note: Advanced features like Audio, Detections and PTZ Control may not be supported.

Not even PTZ control... hopefully they will update to get a "seamless integration"

kolt_

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If there is no better support for third party cameras, its useless.

Note: Advanced features like Audio, Detections and PTZ Control may not be supported.

Not even PTZ control... hopefully they will update to get a "seamless integration"
The whole language of this article points to the fact they weren't really going to support it, and mentions onvif support is so you slowly replace cameras with theirs which means downgrade to their cameras for many of us.

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The official Ubiquiti account on Reddit said yesterday, "This is just the start of our ONVIF support road map..." which is pretty vague, but sounds like they have more planned than just this basic implementation.

Here's the comment:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Let's hope they don't follow like many before and offer it up, get you entrenched in their platform, and then remove it, forcing you to get their cameras or abandon their platform.

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The whole language of this article points to the fact they weren't really going to support it, and mentions onvif support is so you slowly replace cameras with theirs which means downgrade to their cameras for many of us.
"This flexibility allows you to gradually transition to a UniFi-only setup at your own pace, ensuring a smooth upgrade path without needing to replace all your cameras at once. "

:D this sentence

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just got my cloud gateway max today....I understand onvif is not fully baked and there are issues with triggers on motion etc so its a bit early on that end but im curious to see the other features and functions of protect. I dont think they could pull onvif support after advertising this way....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like 5.0 is in "Early access" and not yet available for regular folks to download.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
im curious to see the other features and functions of protect
I came across these the other day.

Those multi function sensors and the poe lights look particularly interesting.

jpc-s4

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I downloaded the early access version and set it up yesterday on my UDM Pro. I had a 10TB disk sitting around, so I popped it in. I was able to add all but one of my cameras (a mix of old Axis P3343, Amcrest PC2M-841, and various Empiretech 5442 models). The one that I couldn't is an old Axis that, for some reason, I can't set an ONVIF password for, but it's been relegated to backup status anyway.

It works. I don't use ONVIF triggers, so I have nothing triggering on the UDM Pro, but it does record and I can see all the cameras. Not sure it's the way forward as opposed to BI, but it's another thing to play with for me.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I downloaded the early access version and set it up yesterday on my UDM Pro. I had a 10TB disk sitting around, so I popped it in. I was able to add all but one of my cameras (a mix of old Axis P3343, Amcrest PC2M-841, and various Empiretech 5442 models). The one that I couldn't is an old Axis that, for some reason, I can't set an ONVIF password for, but it's been relegated to backup status anyway.

It works. I don't use ONVIF triggers, so I have nothing triggering on the UDM Pro, but it does record and I can see all the cameras. Not sure it's the way forward as opposed to BI, but it's another thing to play with for me.
Will they let anyone into early access?

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to let Protect see the cams that are on a separate VLAN on a UDM-Pro?