I am looking for a wired-for-power-only 4k home security camera for outdoor use...

HouseUser

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all, I am looking for a outdoor home security camera with ALL the following features:

-Outdoor 4k resolution Power-Cable Wired Camera (Each camera is connected and powered through a long cable)
-Wireless Wifi Signal Transmission (Although the camera is powered through a physical wire, the camera can use wifi to send all the videos to a Storage harddrive wirelessly)
-Uses wifi to transmit all data to a Storage Harddrive kept at home (I do not want to pay monthly fees for a cloud service so the 4k camera set should come with a big Storage Harddrive that can store weeks of recording-data at a time)

Please recommend me some cameras with ALL the features above. Any help greatly appreciated.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all, I am looking for a outdoor home security camera with ALL the following features:

-Outdoor 4k resolution Power-Cable Wired Camera (Each camera is connected and powered through a long cable)
-Wireless Wifi Signal Transmission (Although the camera is powered through a physical wire, the camera can use wifi to send all the videos to a Storage harddrive wirelessly)
-Uses wifi to transmit all data to a Storage Harddrive kept at home (I do not want to pay monthly fees for a cloud service so the 4k camera set should come with a big Storage Harddrive that can store weeks of recording-data at a time)

Please recommend me some cameras with ALL the features above. Any help greatly appreciated.
Welcome @HouseUser

Do take some time to look at the cliff notes and review various threads...

note wifi is not a very reliable solution for security cameras, and "4K" + WiFi is not yet a common option.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras ( ) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan

You need to define the problem, not the solution. What type of security problem are you trying to solve ?

With little cost for hardware any wifi system can be shutdown
, do not even think about wifi for security. Wifi is ok for watching the birds and deer in the backyard.

Reaction score
I just love these posts that don't respond to requirements of the poster. If you don't like WiFi explain to the OP how to get the stream back w/o pulling Ethernet back to his switch.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just love these posts that don't respond to requirements of the poster. If you don't like WiFi explain to the OP how to get the stream back w/o pulling Ethernet back to his switch.
They do in fact respond to the post. Explaining that the requirements are foolish. I note your very detailed response.

Reaction score
So no solution. Physical requirements are what they are. I'm used to IT forums where they might suggest an alternative, but they will advise how to solve within constraints stated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So no solution. Physical requirements are what they are. I'm used to IT forums where they might suggest an alternative, but they will advise how to solve within constraints stated.
There are no physical requirements noted by the OP. The op admits that power can easily be run to the camera, that means ethernet can be run for poe. Interesting that you offer no solution except to bitch about the responses provided.
There are hundreds of posts offering solutions for folks who think they are being smart and cut corners to save a few dollars instead of properly running cable.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
2.8mm lens: 4mm lens: Amazon.com : Empire Tech IPC-HFW1831E 4MM Lens IP Camera 8MP WDR IR Mini Bullet Network Camera IP67, PoE English Version : Camera & Photo
6mm lens: Amazon.com : EmpireTech IP Camera IPC-HFW1831E 8MP WDR IR Mini Bullet 6MM Lens Network Camera IP67, PoE English Version : Camera & Photo

Power supply: (one of many options - take your pick) (or any 12v wall wart + sufficient length of extension cable)

Wifi Client: (one of many options - take your pick)

For a recording/storage system, I suggest you get a cheap PC from ebay and replace the hard drive with a larger one. Use it as a simple NAS, and when you outgrow that, you can buy Blue Iris to run on the same PC.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @ruralcricket

How much time should volunteers be putting in to provide the level of detailed responses that you want to see to each and every poster who does not take the time to search the forum and / or read the cliff notes ( RTFM )?

Seriously, this topic has been covered numerous times here..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How the hell can you watch your cams remotely if you don’t have access to it. There is nothing wrong with opening a port as long as you understand what you’re doing setting up your firewall. I’d much rather have a port open than using Dahua’s p2p option routing through AWS. Use a VPN, WireGuard if possible otherwise OpenVPN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is obvious that open port is referring to opening a port to the camera not a vpn tunnel.