I made a better remote-live-view page [OLD]

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
On the web UI, I would love to be able to trigger a profile. This will enable me to remotely switch between profiles without the need to get to the server.
Yes I can do this easily. How about I have it so you click on the profile status text and a menu opens where you can choose a profile to switch to? I will probably have an option to disable this in case of a setup like mine where the profile switching is automatic based on sunrise and sunset and I don't want it to be messed up :)

Either that or I duplicate the little array of profile buttons like from the main Blue Iris interface, though it could be argued that would needlessly take up space in the top bar.

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes I can do this easily. How about I have it so you click on the profile status text and a menu opens where you can choose a profile to switch to? I will probably have an option to disable this in case of a setup like mine where the profile switching is automatic based on sunrise and sunset and I don't want it to be messed up :)

Either that or I duplicate the little array of profile buttons like from the main Blue Iris interface, though it could be argued that would needlessly take up space in the top bar.
While you are there, can you also add the ability to select a global schedule? I change schedules when leaving or returning home.
Thank you for all the great work on this!

skarragallagher

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I really like this updated interface. Much better than the existing interface unfortunately it won't load in windows media center which is the only way I can view my cams on my TV's (both hooked up to media center pc's). Basically it hangs on the initializing. The first one loads but the "Loading server status" it never get's past.

Also I noticed that the sound doesn't work in IE (works in chrome/firefox). Any fix for that?

Alternatively I have been using the Allcams.htm page which loads properly. I just wish that I could turn on the sound for the maximized camera.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello.

When you say "in windows media center", what exactly are you referring to? XP media center edition? Or the media center app on a more recent Windows version?

If the server status part won't load, it is likely that the browser you are using does not support JSON natively ... which means it is probably internet explorer 6 or 7. If this is the case, see if you can get it updated. Maybe once I understand the situation better you could talk me into packaging a 3rd party JSON library with the app --- but for most users that would be unnecessary. I doubt ui2 is very functional in IE 6 and 7 anyway, even if JSON support gets fixed.

Unfortunately, IE does not support wav audio ... which is the only format I can pull out of Blue Iris. All the other browsers support it luckily. I recommend Firefox as it does not delay the audio nearly as much as Chrome.

Allcams is a very old page with only the most basic functionality, and won't be getting any more updates.

skarragallagher

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for such a prompt reply. I am using the specifically the window media center version that comes with windows 7 and as an addon for windows 8. The version of IE that I have installed is 11. I am assuming it is loading the page with built in version of a browser. Either way it looks like it isn't loading.

I have done some searches in regards to the built in browser for Media Center, however I can't find too much out there on it. I am still digging though.

Hello.

When you say "in windows media center", what exactly are you referring to? XP media center edition? Or the media center app on a more recent Windows version?

If the server status part won't load, it is likely that the browser you are using does not support JSON natively ... which means it is probably internet explorer 6 or 7. If this is the case, see if you can get it updated. Maybe once I understand the situation better you could talk me into packaging a 3rd party JSON library with the app --- but for most users that would be unnecessary. I doubt ui2 is very functional in IE 6 and 7 anyway, even if JSON support gets fixed.

Unfortunately, IE does not support wav audio ... which is the only format I can pull out of Blue Iris. All the other browsers support it luckily. I recommend Firefox as it does not delay the audio nearly as much as Chrome.

Allcams is a very old page with only the most basic functionality, and won't be getting any more updates.

rhodges

n3wb
Reaction score
In IE 11 and lastest Chrome, it hangs "Loading Clip List... Busy". I also can't view clips on the android app, so the problem may not be specific to your this updated ui. I don't have any clips. I had 2 but deleted them.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
In IE 11 and lastest Chrome, it hangs "Loading Clip List... Busy". I also can't view clips on the android app, so the problem may not be specific to your this updated ui. I don't have any clips. I had 2 but deleted them.
I would not expect there to be a problem when there are 0 clips, since I know ui2 works with an account that can't see clips.

Try this:

1. Open the page in Chrome.
2. Press CTRL + SHIFT + I to open the developer console.
3. Click on the "Console" tab on the right side.
4. Refresh the page.

A number of errors should appear. Some may be related to ui2-local-overrides.css or ui2-local-overrides.js and those you can ignore. You can also ignore anything that says "Resource interpreted as X but transferred with MIME type Y". Anything else may indicate the problem.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you by chance have only one camera? I never did get this working with only one camera.

rhodges

n3wb
Reaction score
That could be it, I do indeed only have 1 camera. Just using a cheap Foscam while I wait for the "good" cameras to come in. If that note was in the thread, I apologize.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hermit

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks BP for a much better live view. Very nice!
One question, though. The legacy program allowed me to change the value of autorefresh to true in jpegpull which forced the page to always update the list of clips when there were new ones. I'm now using ui2.htm and don't see an autorefresh mode at all. Is there a way to force that behavior? I don't ever see an updated list of clips unless I do something that refreshes the display.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There is not currently a way to do that in ui2. I have a lot of enhancements planned for the clips/alerts list in ui2, including automatic refresh, but I have no estimate for when I'll be able to do them.

The way that automatic refresh works on the jpegpull.htm page is it just refreshes every 20 seconds unless you are viewing a recording. This refresh causes a strong flicker that I find distracting. I made the jpegpull2.htm page work a little differently. When you have it auto refresh, it refreshes every 3 seconds, with no flicker besides the two loading animations appearing briefly. But I neglected to make it suppress the refresh while you are viewing recordings. So neither jpegpull or jpegpull2's auto refresh is perfect, and when I implement it in ui2, I want it to be perfect.

vitron1984

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the information earlier bp2008. I managed to get both UI2 and jpegpull2 to show true resolution jpgs of my camera.

I am wondering now if there is a way to show more results for all clips in the ui2 page just like you how you can go back much farther with the jpegpull2 page.

Right now UI2 only shows the last few hours of pictures, I'd like to go back for days if possible , using UI2 only.

Thank you,

David

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for the information earlier bp2008. I managed to get both UI2 and jpegpull2 to show true resolution jpgs of my camera.

I am wondering now if there is a way to show more results for all clips in the ui2 page just like you how you can go back much farther with the jpegpull2 page.

Right now UI2 only shows the last few hours of pictures, I'd like to go back for days if possible , using UI2 only.

Thank you,

David
Right now it loads the 1000 most recent clips for whatever camera is selected in the dropdown box. 1000 clips is the most that Blue Iris' API calls will return with one request. If you need to go further back, the only way to do that with UI2 at this time is to load the clips for a smaller group, or for just one camera, as that will make the 1000 clips go further back. Better I think to just use a different page like jpegpull at that point.

One of my many plans for the clips list in UI2 is to have a calendar control like you get in the main Blue Iris interface, for selecting specific days. When I put that in, I will make sure it is capable of making extra requests in the event there are 1000 or more clips in a day.

superfake123

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
anyway to add some sort of auto refresh if the feeds die? I'm not sure exactly what is happening or which end it is on, but i'll come back to my screens after a day or two and they'll be black like it can't load anything. i just hit F5 to refresh the page and then it gets back to the login screen and logs back in. would be great to add a few lines of code to make that not happen? just some type of auto fresh if the connection drops? pretty please?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I have never had that happen. Is it possible that Blue Iris crashed and was automatically restarted? That would cause your session to be lost which would cause images to stop loading.

If it happens again, take a screenshot and maybe open the developer console (Ctrl + Shift + I in Firefox or Chrome, or F12 in Internet Explorer) and look at the Network tab to see what is going on. There should be fairly frequent additions to the Network tab, as the page attempts to load images or status updates, and if you click on each one you can see what the response was.

superfake123

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
it's very possible that blue iris crashed or was restarted. anyway to add in some code for when that happens to restart the session or something? :D

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I think I was able to reproduce this issue by:
1. Forcing authentication for all connections
2. Loading ui2.htm.
3. Closing and opening Blue Iris, causing the existing session to expire.

Here is what I think is happening:

1. The browser requests the next image of video.
2. Blue Iris notices the session is invalid and tells the browser to redirect to login.htm.
3. The browser tries to load login.htm into the image element, which fails because login.htm is HTML data, not image data. The image is changed to a small broken image graphic.
4. The browser requests the next image of video (Repeat from step 1)

Please verify that you have the same problem -- next time this problem occurs, open the developer console as I explained above and check to see if login.htm is getting requested over and over again. If so, then I believe I can fix the problem.

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That sounds reasonable, a common problem when ajaxing in stuff without checking the return data before presenting it to the browser. There are several java techniques that can avoid this issue, type cast the expected return value is one of them, the other most obvious method would be to inspect the data first (but that may slow it down too much, it would need to be tested).