I made a better remote-live-view page [OLD]

yeahman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
this is excellent!!! Good job man!

p.s. but on android chrome mobile... does not seem to work well... having a lot of "not found" images

Last edited:

mickiete

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just tried out this remote viewing software, like the look and how fast it is. My only problem is I can only see 1 camera, and none of the others are there to view, but are listed in the full camera list. In the alerts I can pick one to review, but cant get live feed for all. it's just stays on 1.

Am I missing something ?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I can only see 1 camera, and none of the others are there to view, but are listed in the full camera list.
Have you got an "All cameras" option in the Current Camera dropdown? That should show all the cameras.

If you don't have that option, check your user account settings in Blue Iris, or your "All cameras" group may have webcasting disabled here:

mickiete

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did not have this bar showing in BI, that's why I could not find that setting when looking before. I now have "All cameras" and "All cameras cycle". Is there a way to see just some of the cameras and not all.

picklefish

n3wb
Reaction score
What is the hotkey to get the side and top back back? I somehow hid mine and it's only showing the cameras. Thanks

I found it finally :D it is ` (the key above tab)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You can also mouse over to the left edge and drag the side open (or double click the divider to put it at default size).

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm running the same chrome version as you and it does not appear to be less efficient than usual. Which is not efficient at all since the decoder is in javascript. If your stream is particularly high resolution or high frame rate, that could explain why it falls behind.

Also a slow network could make the stream fall behind.

bitNine

n3wb
Reaction score
I've noticed that in the last few versions, when I leave UI2 open at night, and I come into work the next day, I ALWAYS have to reload the page because the streams have turned into 0-1fps. Sometimes locked up completely . This is while viewing the H.264 stream. Seems to have something to do with the way the stream is stopped when it loses focus, and it starts back up when focused. When I have to reload the page, it usually takes 5 or more seconds to refresh. This happens on both my home and work camera server.

As for CPU usage, I see anywhere from 3-5% CPU usage by the UI2 tab in Chrome. I'm running a 6 core (12 thread) CPU (i7-4930k), so it's using 36-60% of a single virtual core.

One reason I prefer the H.264 stream is that it uses about 1/4 the bandwidth that JPEG does (~400KB/sec vs. ~2MB/sec)

Albert Einstien

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Smart.
I have one small anomaly with mine though. I have five cameras. If I have some of them assigned to more than one group, then the cycle all cameras will behave unpredictably. It will get hung up on two cameras and just toggle back and forth, or sometimes three, but does not cycle all.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I've noticed that in the last few versions, when I leave UI2 open at night, and I come into work the next day, I ALWAYS have to reload the page because the streams have turned into 0-1fps. Sometimes locked up completely . This is while viewing the H.264 stream. Seems to have something to do with the way the stream is stopped when it loses focus, and it starts back up when focused. When I have to reload the page, it usually takes 5 or more seconds to refresh. This happens on both my home and work camera server.
I can only guess what is wrong. This uses a non-standard streaming method that only Chrome supports (maybe it leaks memory) or maybe the H.264 decoder/player leaks memory. I'm hoping to have a better implementation by year's end, but that is what I thought last year too.

Smart.
I have one small anomaly with mine though. I have five cameras. If I have some of them assigned to more than one group, then the cycle all cameras will behave unpredictably. It will get hung up on two cameras and just toggle back and forth, or sometimes three, but does not cycle all.
This would be a Blue Iris bug, and should be reported to the developer of Blue Iris.

Albert Einstien

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can only guess what is wrong. This uses a non-standard streaming method that only Chrome supports (maybe it leaks memory) or maybe the H.264 decoder/player leaks memory. I'm hoping to have a better implementation by year's end, but that is what I thought last year too.

This would be a Blue Iris bug, and should be reported to the developer of Blue Iris.
When I use cycle all cameras on the blueiris Android app it behaves correctly, watching it at the same time that I am watching this screen not cycling correctly.Would this not suggest the server is working correctly? I will try some more experimenting and post.

Last edited:

Albert Einstien

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
UPDATE:
You are correct. BTW, thanks for your quick response.
I tried the native BI remote viewer and it behaves erratic, as you said, it is a BI bug. I should have have known anyone who could build a program such as yours is ON IT! Thanks for such a great viewer and I will report my bug to BI. BTW, your viewer even handles it better than theirs!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like this bug might only affect the jpeg streaming method, then. Mobile apps use a different streaming method.

xGROMx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK, I have searched but I'm sure not well enough. I use UI2 on my phone and second monitor at home. When I am home I tend to turn off the Left video files bar with the tilde key (~). But when away using my phone (android) I can't seem to find a way to send the ~ key to get the menu back visible. Is there a work around or am I missing something?