I made a better remote-live-view page [OLD]

Umbongo

n3wb
Reaction score
Hiya bp2008,
Are the recent Blue Iris updates any good for your reverse seeking?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, 4.0.8.1 did not contain the needed features either. The Blue Iris developer is aware of this, but he has other priorities so there really is no telling when this part will happen. It could be this week or next month or next quarter for all I know, before I can implement the seek bar and intuitive reverse playback.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I decided not to wait for the clip length field to be made more accurate, and for now just work with what I've got.

The first version of the seek bar and improved playback controls is now available.

Tips:

* You need to manually enable the seek bar the first time you with to use it by clicking on the Enable Seek Bar checkbox in the new playback controls panel. This panel appears while you are playing a clip or alert. Some day, when it works a little more reliably, the seek bar will be enabled by default.
* Using the seek bar automatically pauses video playback. However if you double-click the seek bar, playback will resume from the position you double-clicked.
* Try all the buttons. You can speed up playback, slow it down, play clips in reverse, and have the playback either stop or start over when finished.
* Due to a current Blue Iris limitation, UI2 does not accurately know the exact length of clips so the seek bar may cause the clip to end in the wrong place. Usually the inaccuracy is small, but in some cases, it may be extremely inaccurate. If this is a problem for you, you may have better luck viewing recordings through the Alerts list instead of the Clips list.

v0.8.0 - 2015-06-09
+ Added advanced playback controls, including reverse playback and a seek bar. The seek bar is not 100% accurate yet, due to a limitation of Blue Iris. As such, the seek bar is disabled by default.
* Updated to the latest version of jquery 1.11.3.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll do a minor update soon to fix a few bugs. Please report any defects so I can add them to the list. As always, be sure to do a refresh of the UI2 page (F5 key) if you have just updated, as browsers may otherwise use old cached copies of scripts and styles.

So far on my list:

1. Selecting a new clip does not unpause the clip player.
2. Difficulty using seek bar in Chrome on Android (likely affects all browsers on all touchscreen devices).

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Absolutely awesome!

But, since you asked... I noticed that the replay seek bar reports hours of video, when in fact, there may only be an hour. If I scroll the bar slowly from left to right, the same hour is repeated multiple times. Annoying, but absolutely not a deal breaker... Love it!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Absolutely awesome!

But, since you asked... I noticed that the replay seek bar reports hours of video, when in fact, there may only be an hour. If I scroll the bar slowly from left to right, the same hour is repeated multiple times. Annoying, but absolutely not a deal breaker... Love it!
This is precisely the kind of huge inaccuracy I was speaking about earlier. It happens if you are using the Combine and Cut option to merge smaller clips together. The problem is Blue Iris does not report the true duration of the video file. Instead what it reports is the difference in timestamps from the start of the clip to the end of the clip. For combined clips, the difference can easily be hours as you have seen, since it does not account for all the holes in a combined clip.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
This is precisely the kind of huge inaccuracy I was speaking about earlier. It happens if you are using the Combine and Cut option to merge smaller clips together. The problem is Blue Iris does not report the true duration of the video file. Instead what it reports is the difference in timestamps from the start of the clip to the end of the clip. For combined clips, the difference can easily be hours as you have seen, since it does not account for all the holes in a combined clip.

That's what I figured. It's no big deal, and certainly much more functional/practical than NO rewind or seek option. I envy your talents...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Bugfix update is now uploaded.

v0.8.1 - 2015-06-11
* The player will now automatically unpause when you select a new clip or alert.
* Fixed touchscreen event handlers for manipulating the seek bar and resizing the clip list, which were broken in the last update.
* Fixed a bug where the progress readout would show fractions of milliseconds if you played a clip at a speed lower than 1x.

Refer to the first post the download link. http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/93-I-made-a-better-remote-live-view-page

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but what is the difference between "Load Fresh Clips" and "Load Fresh Alerts?"

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
In Blue Iris, Clips and Alerts are two different things, but in a lot of setups they are so similar you might not realize this. I did not know the difference myself until I really dug into it and analyzed the behavior.

A "Clip" represents one of the video files stored on disk. Any time any recording is happening, a Clip is being created. As far as I can tell, an "Alert" is only created while a camera is triggered. An Alert represents a portion of a clip. Typically the portion with motion, though if you trigger a camera manually through the user interface, that will also create an Alert. UI2 can trigger cameras too, through the context menu that appears when you long-press a camera! I have also noticed that Alerts are usually shorter than the associated clips. I suspect the alerts do not include the "break time" from the Motion/Trigger tab of camera properties, though I'm not certain of this.

If you use the "Combine or cut" option to combine clips, then you will find that one clip can have more than one Alert. If you do continuous recording and have motion detection enabled, then the Clips list will give you access to all the recorded video, while the Alerts list will give you only the parts with motion. If you don't use motion detection, then the Alerts list will be empty and the Clips list will be the only place that recorded video is available.

I hope this makes it clear what each list shows you.

Edit:

It is also worth noting that UI2 treats Alert playback slightly differently than other Blue Iris web pages and apps. UI2 honors the reported alert duration so the playback ends at the appropriate time. But when you play an Alert in any other way (e.g. in the Blue Iris console itself), the Alert is treated as a simple bookmark and the video will continue to play past the end of the Alert, all the way to the end of the Clip.

Last edited:

piconut

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I really like the new control bar and the option to place it at the top or bottom of the screen. However in either case it overlays the video. For those of us with larger widescreen monitors and a long thin band of unused space at the top of the UI2 interface, is there any chance of having an additional checkbox option to move the control bar to the top in the blank area to the right of the "current camera" selection, like this:

Attachments

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, @piconut. I will try to make that work. I don't particularly like having it overlaid on the video either.

Last edited by a moderator:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
All my cameras are Hikvision 3MP. The best there is for the price, IMHO. Most are the Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I 4mm version. [h=1][/h]
Indeed they are, and they have been in that position for years. Honestly it disappoints me a little that the security camera market is so slow compared to ... for instance ... smart phones, where you can expect to find a better camera every year for the same price as the previous year's offering. That said, I am looking forward to replacing some of my old chinese models with new Hikvision 4MP bullets once availability improves and prices fall a bit.

Also, I installed BI 4.0.9 and still no improvements to the duration reporting, so the seek bar accuracy is also not improved. Hopefully soon now with all of the "timing" changes this patch had...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

piconut

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yes, @piconut. I will try to make that work. I don't particularly like having it overlaid on the video either.
It just occured to me that the top bar area would not work when the user has selected the fullscreen option, so maybe there is a way that when fullscreen is selected, that the control bar shows up and disappears like the VLC controls do when you play a movie. So when you hover over the bottom of the clip, the control bar appears (in full screen mode) but otherwise there is an option to show above the clip in the top bar when not in full screen view. Just thinking out loud....

A side note: I really enjoy the full screen mode paired with most web browser's ability to also go fullscreen because I have a couple Hikvision IP cams that I use for weather and critter-cams and when the screen is fully occupied by something like the image below (from a couple weeks ago) then you feel like your monitor is a window to the world, especially when you're stuck inside! Thanks for everything you do to make such a great upgraded interface for Blue Iris!

Attachments

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
How about being able to move and/or resize the bar? Grab it and drag it as needed to get away from areas of interest (i.e. the time/date overlay)?

Just an idea...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There is no alternative or equivalent. Some laptop trackpads have scrolling features that emulate a mouse wheel, but without that you're out of luck.