I made the Reolink mistake

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Amcrest/Dahua has been king for me in my comparison tests/videos. Reolink is fine for a throw in a system for someone with a hardware NVR and forget about it but that's about it. It falls on its face once you start using other things such as BI and/or Frigate.
If you care at all about night time performance, Reolink never fits in.

Airbag888

n3wb
Reaction score
I created an account just to chime in that I'm another hookup 'victim'..
Saw Hookup recommend reolink a couple of times.. I had a hikvision way back (DS-2CD2032-I) which I liked but it seems that despite being very well informed 'usually' I fell in the trap.
I got the reolinks (7x RLC-820As) around 4-5 months back (including their NVR - 8 channel version) and only recently installed.
The context: I was building my house, moved in 2 months ago and with the crap ton there was to do wiring cameras etc only was completed yesterday. With covid and 2 small kids in tow, it left very little time to research beyond 'youtube'.. that'll serve me.

My impression:
Pluses
1. excellent daytime images (on nvr and windows app - the browser version does not support highest quality stream)
2. No need for internet explorer or plugins (I remember thinking 'finally!')
3. Price - The price to marketing info ratio is unmatched

cons:
1. Can have lots of smear/ghosting at night on movement coupled with what seems to be very low fps (cam is set to 20fps - the maximum but the night shots look more like 8 ish PLUS smearing)
2. very very little settings accessible (via nvr or otherwise)
3. NVR often won't work with the 8th camera (the hikvision above); It's not detecting it when connected to the NVR POE and I had to use an injector and add it to my network then it only works when the hikvision is alone on the screen - meanwhile the stream off (internet explorer page of hikvision) works perfectly. At least it's recording the main stream (no motion detection though)

I still have not connected to blueiris (in fact I don't own a blueiris rig yet which is why I got the nvr) but was hoping to integrate my cameras with blueiris/frigate/home assistant down the line by ditching the nvr but it looks like I got a lot more headache ahead of me.. sadly I invested a lot already and won't be able to return anything..

I'm very angry at 'the hookup' that seemed like a legit guy doing good comparisons.

I guess my path 'could' be one of these Andy Dahuas 5442 (although I'd love for something in the $100-120 range with mic) but I wonder if they'll even work with the Reolink NVRs

Would love to know if the new firmwares are any better if anyone got feedback on that.

PS: Looking at Andy's store page on amazon I saw 'sponsored' Reolink postings ‍♂

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I created an account just to chime in that I'm another hookup 'victim'..
Saw Hookup recommend reolink a couple of times.. I had a hikvision way back (DS-2CD2032-I) which I liked but it seems that despite being very well informed 'usually' I fell in the trap.
I got the reolinks (7x RLC-820As) around 4-5 months back (including their NVR - 8 channel version) and only recently installed.
The context: I was building my house, moved in 2 months ago and with the crap ton there was to do wiring cameras etc only was completed yesterday. With covid and 2 small kids in tow, it left very little time to research beyond 'youtube'.. that'll serve me.

My impression:
Pluses
1. excellent daytime images (on nvr and windows app - the browser version does not support highest quality stream)
2. No need for internet explorer or plugins (I remember thinking 'finally!')
3. Price - The price to marketing info ratio is unmatched

cons:
1. Can have lots of smear/ghosting at night on movement coupled with what seems to be very low fps (cam is set to 20fps - the maximum but the night shots look more like 8 ish PLUS smearing)
2. very very little settings accessible (via nvr or otherwise)
3. NVR often won't work with the 8th camera (the hikvision above); It's not detecting it when connected to the NVR POE and I had to use an injector and add it to my network then it only works when the hikvision is alone on the screen - meanwhile the stream off (internet explorer page of hikvision) works perfectly. At least it's recording the main stream (no motion detection though)

I still have not connected to blueiris (in fact I don't own a blueiris rig yet which is why I got the nvr) but was hoping to integrate my cameras with blueiris/frigate/home assistant down the line by ditching the nvr but it looks like I got a lot more headache ahead of me.. sadly I invested a lot already and won't be able to return anything..

I'm very angry at 'the hookup' that seemed like a legit guy doing good comparisons.

I guess my path 'could' be one of these Andy Dahuas 5442 (although I'd love for something in the $100-120 range with mic) but I wonder if they'll even work with the Reolink NVRs

Would love to know if the new firmwares are any better if anyone got feedback on that.

PS: Looking at Andy's store page on amazon I saw 'sponsored' Reolink postings ‍♂
Firmware for what?
The 12/30/20 firmware for 5442 is fine.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Like many others on here, I made the mistake of purchasing a full set of Reolink cameras (mixture of RLC-820a and RLC-520a) to use with Blue Iris. I chose the Reolink cameras based on recommendations from 2 popular YouTubers, and while the quality of the cameras out of the box are acceptable to me, the compatibility with Blue Iris is quite the opposite. Another IPCT member said it best when they posted, "... I realize I made an error." A very expensive error. I just wish I had found this forum prior to planning out my system.

I ordered the cameras first, but due to a major winter storm affecting postal and parcel deliveries and the computer manufacturer losing my order, by the time I received the Blue Iris server and PoE switch and got it all setup the return window for the Reolink cameras had expired. So I've spent the last 2 months making adjustments, updating firmware, complaining, etc., all of which haven't helped yet. Just so I have "something" working I setup each of the cameras with only their substreams in Blue Iris but even that is choppy so it's clear to me now that choosing the Reolink cameras was indeed a mistake.

I contacted Reolink support and explained the situation. Their response: update to this new firmware. Ok, did that, and it actually made it worse (lower fps/key). I responded to them that it didn't fix the problem and asked them what exactly was changed in the new firmware, but I got no response to that question, and instead was asked why I wanted to manually adjust the iframe rate. Even though it seems like it might be a waste of time, I'm willing to continue to push for a resolution with Reolink since I can't get my money back (I guess it's possible but doesn't seem likely), so any advice for what to tell them in my emails back and forth would be very appreciated.

Meanwhile, I'm continuing to browse this forum to try all the different workarounds and optimization tips as I find them. I appreciate all the tips and suggestions already posted in other threads, and look forward to contributing to the community as well.
your a poet and dont know it.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
How is the new firmware? Saw the hookup post a new video about the updated firmware that allegedly resolved a few of these issues.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So does the hookup lie? I thought some of his videos are good, but never looked to him for security camera but advice.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So does the hookup lie? I thought some of his videos are good, but never looked to him for security camera but advice.
By him I meant the post above yours by airbag888 that said he had the new firmware and would try it out that night and report back the next day, but yes many people do not trust what the hookup puts out (although he has been getting better and isn't a complete Reolink fanboy anymore LOL).

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good question .. and from my view, the prior to recent videos he made I felt he either lied ( and knew ), or did not know enough ..

I've posted my analysis here .. the thread has grown, you can still read my original assessment.

That stated, The Hookup has learned a lot more, and is now covering important issues better on the topic of security camera image quality of capture.
( FoV, Pixels, DORI are very important as basic concepts .. anyone who ignores this either does not know enough, has dumbed down their video, or has a purposeful omissions / deception .. example of a deceptive video channel is back street imho to sell more of their units .. )

Airbag888

n3wb
Reaction score
By him I meant the post above yours by airbag888 that said he had the new firmware and would try it out that night and report back the next day, but yes many people do not trust what the hookup puts out (although he has been getting better and isn't a complete Reolink fanboy anymore LOL).
Hey, sorry I still haven't gone around inspecting the 'improvements' if any as scientifically as possible.. for starters I was going to setup BI for this (since I'm using the reolink nvr.. I know don't judge). The only way to access the new 'features' is if the cameras are accessible from a browser - so not via the NVR (reolink being stupid)
Also my kids have been sick for like 2 weeks so yep..real life took over Sorry..

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hey, sorry I still haven't gone around inspecting the 'improvements' if any as scientifically as possible.. for starters I was going to setup BI for this (since I'm using the reolink nvr.. I know don't judge). The only way to access the new 'features' is if the cameras are accessible from a browser - so not via the NVR (reolink being stupid)
Also my kids have been sick for like 2 weeks so yep..real life took over Sorry..
Yeah , his video was interesting. Seemed he had to reset the camera to get the update prompt to appear. Not sure if that’s the only way, but it seemed odd.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Guess after all it is YouTube so not everything should be taken as fact. Such as filling a pool with jello or giving away cars and cash like the videos I can’t stand when the kids watch them.

Airbag888

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah , his video was interesting. Seemed he had to reset the camera to get the update prompt to appear. Not sure if that’s the only way, but it seemed odd.
I updated by downloading the firmware and putting on a pendrive and pushing it from the NVR itself. Some actions can only be done on the NVR and not via the web or windows client.. so annoying given where it's located for me..