I Ordered an Axis Communications Axis Q1808-LE Camera

When I try to open the configuration browser for the AXIS Q1808-LE Camera on my Hikvision NVR I get "Your browser is not supported." Another battle to fight. By the way with this camera, you have a separate ID for the ONVIF. When using ONVIF on the NVR you have to use that ID. If I was logging in under "Axis" I would have to have to use the camera ID.

Reactions: CanCuba and 12K
Is the camera on an external switch ?

You need to create an account under ONVIF in System, you can use root and your_password. Then you need to set up the ONVIF media profile.

That is my problem. I have set up ONVIF in the camera internals using root or admin and a password. How would you set up an ONVIF media profile with the Axis camera? With the Dahua and Hikvision cameras I have not had to do any of this.

It’s been a lot of years but I wasnt ever able to get good functionality from axis cams to my old Dahua NVR ports. I ended up putting it on an external switch and managing it direct while the Dahua NVR recorded it fine .

Reactions: looktall and Parley
It’s been a lot of years but I wasnt ever able to get good functionality from axis cams to my old Dahua NVR ports. I ended up putting it on an external switch and managing it direct while the Dahua NVR recorded it fine .
I might have to give that a try. Any recommendations on a good external switch? Thank You in advance. I am having the same problems that you had. I can get maybe a 1 MP picture and no real controls of the camera.

Time to switch to BI LOL

You may have to try BI just for us that may consider this camera if it is as good as it is looking.

Reactions: Parley
I am running the camera through a POE power injector. So, it is getting plenty of power. The power meter on the camera is registering around 10 watts. It just does not like the current ONVIF connection.

Shouldnt need BI if you use an external switch.

I used a cheap netgear that is actually still in the outdoor box running but I got rid of the Axis cams years ago. They were cheapies (for axis anyway) the original installer used, circa 2017

It was an older version of this (off site and not where I can get to it right now) But Id try one of these so if it doesnt work out you're not out a lot

I have this one at home and its been running fine for 4-5 years

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reactions: CanCuba and Parley
Shouldnt need BI if you use an external switch.

I used a cheap netgear that is actually still in the outdoor box running but I got rid of the Axis cams years ago. They were cheapies (for axis anyway) the original installer used, circa 2017

It was an older version of this (off site and not where I can get to it right now) But Id try one of these so if it doesnt work out you're not out a lot

I have this one at home and its been running fine for 4-5 years

Thank you for the list. I just wanted to make sure we are talking about the same thing. When I run the camera on the LAN, it does go through an external switch. I had not considered using on between the camera and the NVR camera port. Would a Trendnet POE power injector be considered the same thing? That is what I am using when I hook up the camera to one of the NVR camera ports.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
My screen looks exactly like that. Except that it has this.

profile_1 h264
profile_1_h264

profile_1 jpeg
profile_1_jpeg

profile_1 h265
profile_1_h265

Anything else I have to do? By the way thank you for taking the time to help me out. Also, it does not have Analytics when you click on the h264 profile.

Edit: My camera has a separate page for Analytics metadata. It is right below ONVIF under System.

Last edited:
Gotcha.
I had the camera on the switch, which was on the LAN segment . It didnt connect physically to a port on the NVR
So I have similar at home now, a mixture of NVR connected and LAN segment connected cameras

CamReg-mixinternalexternalcams.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Parley
What distance do you need to see with this camera? Why did you buy 12mm to 48mm focal lens? If you don't need to cover over 130 feet, you don't have to buy this type of lens, which could save you a lot

What distance do you need to see with this camera? Why did you buy 12mm to 48mm focal lens? If you don't need to cover over 130 feet, you don't have to buy this type of lens, which could save you a lot

As it turns out, I do need this lens. It is not exactly as I thought it would be. To me their 12mm is more like 4mm with other cameras. No wonder they have the viewing angle of 90 degrees at 12mm.

Reactions: bigredfish
I thought I would cut to the chase this morning and maybe get an Axis NVR. However, the ones in my price range do not support an PTZ. Does that mean that I cannot work my varifocal zoom on the camera?

Should be able to via the camera interface itself right?

I guess thats what Im saying, I abandoned any control over the camera by the NVR and used it simply to record the output of the camera
Thats been 7 years so maybe they have better compatibility

As it turns out, I do need this lens. It is not exactly as I thought it would be. To me their 12mm is more like 4mm with other cameras. No wonder they have the viewing angle of 90 degrees at 12mm.
That's why I mentioned the lens... The camera you just bought with that lens is quite expensive, and it's not even an auto-zoom lens, correct? Plus, you can't use the PTZ function on your NVR, which makes it somewhat of a waste. Normally, you can estimate the distance you want to cover and then choose a suitable lens. For me, if I need a camera to cover objects at varying distances, I usually go for a Dahua or Hikvision PTZ IP camera with an auto-focus lens and auto-tracking function.