I.T. Director, Registered Nurse and whatever else I am asked to do in need of a solution...

ipcam_Griz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

As my subject line states I am looking for a system solution that will allow us to monitor the perimeter of our medical office building and interior entrances for security, as well as monitoring our parking lots for accidents; people (patients that fall) and vehicles? We prefer something that we could monitor remotely via the internet (windows or mobile) and something we can back up onto our existing local servers. CPoE would be preferred as well. Our building has varying soffit heights from 8 to 12-14feet. We prefer to do as much DIY as possible to keep costs lower and allowing us to pass this savings onto our employee profit sharing plan. ;)
Thanks for any assistance!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

I know the "urge" to go and buy a "system" from a big box store can look like a pretty good deal. In reality it doesn't normally play out that way though. From what you've said, so far, I gather you're looking at daytime coverage almost exclusively. That will let you use less expensive cameras if true. If you need/want night coverage then you'll need to use better grade cameras with bigger sensors.

An NVR can be set up to be accessed from outside. The "normal" way is through port forwarding, the "magic" of scanning a QR code. That is not the best way to do things and will expose your network to the internet and the denizens that lurk there. Use a VPN and not the type of VPN that lets you surf anonymously. This one needs to reside on your router, typically, and provides a secure connection between your devices and your network so you can access the NVR.

If you're more technically inclined I'd suggest looking at Blue Iris VMS. It is far more flexible than an NVR and can easily be configured to handle almost any brand of camera you might buy, assuming it's a name brand. With an NVR you're best served keeping the cameras the same brand as the NVR. You could get a single camera, download the demo version of Blue Iris and take it for a test drive for 14 days to get a feel for it. Blue Iris will run on a used business class machine under WIndows. You'd need a PoE switch as well to power the cameras but overall the capabilities will far outweigh the average NVR and a NVR that approaches the capabilities of Blue Iris will be far more expensive.

Have a look in the Wiki, in the blue bar at the top of the page. That'll give you a good idea how to go about building a system that actually works. The Cliff Notes in there are one of the key features, so be sure to have a look at them on a real computer, not a phone or tablet.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Here are my recent NVR motion events ( same cameras). Yellow tick marks on a green timeline. No visual prompt to say, " hey I better look at camera 6 That car was damaged leaving the parking lot."
But if somebody comes in a says," John Doe fell in the lobby with his new walker"
If you've named or labeled the cameras in the either system, you can quickly review a specific cam if an incident is reported.

1665021849644.png

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

As my subject line states I am looking for a system solution that will allow us to monitor the perimeter of our medical office building and interior entrances for security, as well as monitoring our parking lots for accidents; people (patients that fall) and vehicles? We prefer something that we could monitor remotely via the internet (windows or mobile) and something we can back up onto our existing local servers. CPoE would be preferred as well. Our building has varying soffit heights from 8 to 12-14feet. We prefer to do as much DIY as possible to keep costs lower and allowing us to pass this savings onto our employee profit sharing plan. ;)
Thanks for any assistance!
Welcome @ipcam_Griz

looks like TonyR provided a good resource.

Since you're dealing with a healthcare facility I suggest you first read this ==>>HIPAA Compliance and Video Security – What You Need to Know
So, what I would do if I had to DIY this project:

1) Isolate the Security Camera System from your LAN ..

2) For remote access use a VPN ( run VPN software on your router / behind your router ) .. pfsense or something serious for a medical business ..

HIPAA compliance and IP security cameras can be a big security issue .. so not as simple due to the business requirements.

ipcam_Griz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was recently given a quote by a local installer using the following cameras: [Inside the clinic]: VIS-P8DRIR28NH-LC INVID 8MP DOME CAMERA and [outside on the soffits]: VIS-P8TXIR28NH-LC INVID 8MP TURRET CAMERA. Thoughts?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Given the advertising for them does not mention what sensor size is being used I would be very skeptical, NDAA compliant or not. Also remember that NDAA compliant is only required for Governmental entities, not private companies or individuals. Cameras can be easily isolated from the internet to prevent any threat from security flaws, and every camera out there has some, even Axis.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was recently given a quote by a local installer using the following cameras: [Inside the clinic]: VIS-P8DRIR28NH-LC INVID 8MP DOME CAMERA and [outside on the soffits]: VIS-P8TXIR28NH-LC INVID 8MP TURRET CAMERA. Thoughts?

HI @ipcam_Griz

How much are they quoting for the cameras?

looks like very small sensors to me on that .. so guessing this is the bargain basement models ..

VIS-P8DRIR28NH-LC: 8 Megapixel Dome, 2.8mm
1/2.7”, 8.0 megapixel, progressive scan, CMOS

1665152334573.png

VIS-P8DRIR28NH-LC: 8 Megapixel Dome, 2.8mm
1/3", 8.0 megapixel, progressive scan, CMOS
1665152459899.png

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here's the actual bid:

1 VN2A-32X16/16TB INVID 32CH NVR W/16TB - $1,599.00
1 VIS-LRP0E8-2AN INVID 8 PORT POE SWITCH - $249.00
1 VIS-P8TXIR28NH-LC INVID 8MP TURRET CAMERA - $285.00
1 VIS-P8DRIR28NH-LC INVID 8MP DOME CAMERA - $215.00
Thanks @ipcam_Griz

1 VIS-P8TXIR28NH-LC INVID 8MP TURRET CAMERA - $285.00
1 VIS-P8DRIR28NH-LC INVID 8MP DOME CAMERA - $215.00

not certain if there are other business value from the company that is offering those cameras to you in terms of support included with their prices ..

For most of us, we're looking for larger sensors and better performance ..