I want the best Dahua

RichardPryor

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In the event of a disaster, would you want to be able to open a gate with a remote/power or is this really not necessary? I ask because I can either trench the gate to the shop (closer/cheaper) or to the house, and it could be powered by solar (eventually).

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In the event of a disaster, would you want to be able to open a gate with a remote/power or is this really not necessary? I ask because I can either trench the gate to the shop (closer/cheaper) or to the house, and it could be powered by solar (eventually).
Either way you'll want a battery at the gate to supply back up power (the the gate opener and essential related hardware). It will be charged by either AC power or solar. Trenching from the shop to gate makes the most sense to me.

On the subject of disaster, check with your fire department regarding the gate. Some fire departments use Knox boxes to open gates, some like people to have something that responds to the strobe lights they use for traffic lights, and others may be content to have a code on file to open the gate.

Gates, openers, and intercoms tend to be expensive, you may be in for some sticker shock.

Last edited:

RichardPryor

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I’m kind of getting things now. I think. What do you think of using the garage as where cables will terminate? That is the closest place and least cable runs. But as I understand it, modem/router/switches have to be in that location as well.

RichardPryor

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Gates, openers, and intercoms tend to be expensive, you may be in for some sticker shock.
I know. But I really think it’s important for security where I live. I’ll just put conduit and deal with it later.

Reaction score
I’m kind of getting things now. I think. What do you think of using the garage as where cables will terminate? That is the closest place and least cable runs. But as I understand it, modem/router/switches have to be in that location as well.
So long as your garage is reasonably secure, it's a great place to house things. I live in the worst heat (outside of the desert southwest, anyway) of the south, and the PoE switch and wireless bridge in my garage have held up very well. I installed a simple board/shelf with inexpensive brackets on the wall near an electrical outlet and run four cameras from the garage.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't choose the garage as a cable termination point. Especially not in new construction.
(Garages have fire rated walls and ceilings )

Last edited:

xyvyx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So 8 cameras in shop (including the gate camera) to a switch, then 1 network cable (fiber) from switch in shop to house, correct?

Can you please provide a link to the fiber cable you’re talking about and that I need to buy please @tangent. I will need it from gate to shop (for 1 camera) and from shop (switch) to house, correct?

Thank you!
Tangent might have more experience w/ the fiber stuff, but to give you an idea.

For fiber, you usually have a switch on either end with a couple SFP ports. These are a sort of generic port that let you interchange different types of fiber adapters, depending on what you need. Most of the Ubiquiti stuff has LC UPC connectors.

Multimode fiber is often a little cheaper, but can still extend out to 550m. Single-mode lets you go even further w/ slightly more expensive fiber & adapters. So while it's overkill as far as distance is concerned, most of the outdoor/rugged fiber cables I've seen are single-mode. Some of the adapters also support BiDirectional transfer... ie: single fiber vs. a duplex pair.

Ubiquiti sells some 300' single-mode fiber, but it sounds like you'll need to go further than that.
It's $120 for a bundle that includes 6 fibers.
FiberCable

If you want to plan for the future, you could get some 10G adapters, but you'll need switches on either end that have SFP+ ports. That's probably overkill for ~ 8 cameras, but I don't know what else you might connect out there.

SFP+ Modules

150m of this rugged cable will cost you about $94:
LC/SC/FC/ST/LSH SM Armored Patch Cable

or... maybe a good thing for running 4 fibers at the same time:
4 Fibers Custom Indoor/Outdoor SMF Pre-Terminated Cable

pick 4 fibers or whatever, LC UPC simplex connectors (so you can connect individually / however in the future). Staggered (more compact for feeding through tubing) for the alignment, and the "pulling eye" on both ends. This bundle thing is geared toward pulling through conduit like yours....

So you could just do a pair of regular, 1G SFP modules on each end today, upgrade to 10G in the future if needed.

Last edited:

RichardPryor

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@tangent how do you feel about a linen closet in a 3rd bathroom for the central wiring thing? The way I understand it, here is where the routers/modems/switches and a bunch of cables will be located correct?

I just don’t know where else to put it other than here, garage or bonus/attic room. And you don’t like #1 and #3.

I’m running my cat 6 in a few days.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@tangent how do you feel about a linen closet in a 3rd bathroom for the central wiring thing? The way I understand it, here is where the routers/modems/switches and a bunch of cables will be located correct?

I just don’t know where else to put it other than here, garage or bonus/attic room. And you don’t like #1 and #3.

I’m running my cat 6 in a few days.
The bonus room is probably one of the better locations you can put it. It's out of the way. I may not have communicated this clearly enough, but my point was that while it's a good location it may be more work to pull wire to that location and there could have been a better suited location. You shared lots of pictures and drawings of the house, but none of the actual floor plan so it's hard say. You know the house a lot better than anyone else here. My preference regarding the bonus room would be to and make a little closet if the trusses are far enough apart. What's the spacing on those trusses? The bonus room is a much better choice than the garage.

Have you made any diagrams or drawings of places you want cabling inside/outside the house and where you want cameras? If you post them we can offer advice on your camera locations and things you may have overlooked. It doesn't need to be anything fancy, just throwing some red dots on the elevations for cameras and yellow dots for outdoor light fixtures in MS Paint.

Last edited:

RichardPryor

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here’s the floor plan

Closet I was talking about is pointed with an arrow on first pic. Bonus/attic room is on the third level and not the one labeled bonus room in floor plan.

Trusses are 22” apart. Why do I need to make a closet if this will be my own personal space? To hide cables? You can only go in this room via attic ladder so nobody but me will be going up there.

Why do I want cables outside? You mean for camera and access point hookups? What else would I need cables going outside for?

I will get to work on those diagrams @tangent. Thanks again for your time and help. It really is appreciated.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here’s the floor plan

Closet I was talking about is pointed with an arrow on first pic. Bonus/attic room is on the third level and not the one labeled bonus room in floor plan.

Trusses are 22” apart. Why do I need to make a closet if this will be my own personal space? To hide cables? You can only go in this room via attic ladder so nobody but me will be going up there.

Why do I want cables outside? You mean for camera and access point hookups? What else would I need cables going outside for?

I will get to work on those diagrams @tangent. Thanks again for your time and help. It really is appreciated.
I don't think a bathroom linen closet is a good choice because of the moisture/humidity it will be exposed to. Tucked into some part of the left end of the ground floor bedroom closet could work. I suppose the laundry room could also work but that would have low WAF. The closet under the stairs would be a PITA. The attic bonus room is probably the best choice but you'd may want an HVAC duct up there (IDK how hot it would get in the summer). It will just require a bit more cable and time. From what you describe, there would be no reason to build a closet up there. I was imagining it as a more usable space with a proper set of stairs.

The garage isn't a good location because of dust, temperature extremes, and the amount of cable that would need to pass through fire rated walls. I have a hard time imagining a building inspector being happy with that.

By cables outside, yes, cameras and possibly access points is all I meant. When I said inside I meant to interior rooms for computers and TVs.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is the plumbing done yet? I don't see a space for HVAC, water heater, or pressure tank on the plans. Are the mechanicals going in the the attic, crawl space, garage, or black hole? If the plumbing isn't done yet, you may want to get that done first. What type of HVAC will you have?

I imagine it it's a safe assumption your floor joists run the short direction and the DTT2 is probably just attached to blocking but what do i know.

Stacking the floors quickly it looks like it isn't the easiest floor plan to wire up, especially not after the fact. There aren't a lot of places where the interior walls line up between levels. Even most of the interior walls that line up are insulated walls. If I were trying to add camera or network wiring after this house was built, I'm confident cursing would be involved.

It looks like there may end up being a bulkhead in the garage for some plumbing?
floor plan stacked.png

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Under the stairs. Just put sleeves in to other accessible locations.

RichardPryor

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Under the stairs: that’s where my receiver/tv box/blu Ray player will be. I decided to go with an open stairs look so I could put the TV under them. So that’s a no-go.

The furnace will be on the bottom-right edge of the garage. It is hard to work in that area. Pulling cables to and from that closet would be a real PITA. But doable.

Pressure tank and well pump controller will go right next to the furnace.

Hot water heater will be an instant wall mounted heater which won’t take up a lot of space. It will go on the top right corner of the garage.

Laundry room is tight as that’s where the hvac’s return duct is sitting and it takes some room.

HVAC is done and so is plumbing. None of the mechanicals will go in the attic. They go through joists, which do indeed run the short direction.

I decided to run all the conduit to the back of the house cause I didn’t want a bunch of boxes sticking out the side. It will be a longer run and more expensive but it is what it is.

I’m inclined to do the cwp in the bonus room just because that 3rd bedroom closet will be such a pain to work around, but I will spend some time around it today and map it to see if I can make it work.

Thanks for all the suggestions @tangent and everyone. I’ll get to work on camera placement because deadline is quickly approaching.

RichardPryor

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I started pulling cat 6 wcable. Decided on the bonus/attic room as the cwp. Pulling 2 different cables to every room where a TV could possibly be located. One for internet and one to the NAS. Is this the way to go?

Skipping bathrooms, laundry room. Might use garage as a gym/wood shop so I will pull wire to a few locations there as well.

Should the kitchen island have an internet outlet? Or waste of a pull?

RichardPryor

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Btw I think I read cat 6 can’t be near big equipment like furnaces so that’s why that closet was not chosen.

RichardPryor

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Everything went well today, I think. Pulled 4 sets of cat6 to the AV receiver area, one extra in case one fails. So two connections for the NAS to AVR and 2 connections for the Internet. Did the same with master bedroom and second bedroom. Those 2 rooms are very close to the CWP so it was worth it.

I also pulled one set of cat6 to an outside location where I plan to have an Ubiquiti mesh AP. Finally sent one cat6 to the third bedroom. This bedroom is next to TV room and I don’t see myself or anyone watching TV.

Am I doing things right so far? Is this how this work?

RichardPryor

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is what you requested @tangent. First an aerial pic of my lot before house construction began. Then areas where I was planning on putting cameras (and direction) and lights. The lights on the side of the house next to garage man door will be sensor lights, unless you think those are a bad idea? I like them.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The lack of answers is worrying me! Hopefully I didn’t mess up too bad.
Wednesday nights are usually extra busy for me.
Under the stairs: that’s where my receiver/tv box/blu Ray player will be. I decided to go with an open stairs look so I could put the TV under them. So that’s a no-go.
I pity the fool that tries to hang any art on that wall. :p

Regarding your buried conduit, try to keep your data / telephone conduit 12" from the electrical one. It's looking like you may need to rent or borrow one of those hot box / hot blanket PVC conduit benders.

I'm by no means an electrician, but there are some details in some of your pictures that are a bit concerning / confusing to me. To be honest, my initial reaction to the picture under the stairs and some of the others was on the order of WTF. I foresee some literal face palms and head shakes from your electrical inspector. Are all of those white wires under the stairs 14awg romex?

Last edited: