I want the best Dahua

RichardPryor

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@tangent can you please clarify the purpose of these cat6 locations (with red question mark) please? The one on first floor bonus room I was going to use as an AP. Cheers!!

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@tangent can you please clarify the purpose of these cat6 locations (with red question mark) please? The one on first floor bonus room I was going to use as an AP. Cheers!!
No defined purpose, just a location I thought you might want a cable. Could just as easily be on the wall common with the bathroom. In the living room those two walls are locations someone could put a tv. Nothing in the diagram I made should be taken too literally.

Cat-6 cable can be used for other things too like telephone.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Where would you put access points? I was thinking pantry (2nd floor) and wet bar (in bonus room first floor). I have a couple ubiquity unifi lite AP’s. Wet bar will be in corner of bonus room adjacent to garage. This is pantry’s new location. Already have a cat 6 run to each.

If you're going to wire a house, you really need to buy or make something to properly de-spool / uncoil wire as you pull it. Saves so much time and makes it look so much cleaner. A helper is also a big time saver.

Can you post a picture of some of the network wiring you've done so far so (label or describe what's what)? That way we can offer some feedback before you get too far.

RichardPryor

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It’ll all look better once drywall is in, lol.

Joking aside, I’ll take pics tomorrow am

RichardPryor

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you're going to wire a house, you really need to buy or make something to properly de-spool / uncoil wire as you pull it. Saves so much time and makes it look so much cleaner. A helper is also a big time saver.

Can you post a picture of some of the network wiring you've done so far so (label or describe what's what)? That way we can offer some feedback before you get too far.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Make sure you leave some slack in those insulated staples, you wouldn't want to damage a wire.
Run a 1x board along side the wires in the attic on one or both sides to help protect them from getting stepped on!

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Leave yourself plenty of extra wire at termination points. Be careful if you use regular junction boxes be careful especially of the ones with built in wire clamps it's possible to damage the cable. In an exterior wall a regular junction box may make sense.

I like to run the wire down the other side of a stud bay from where a a box or mud ring will be creating a loop the passes by the sill plate. Staple or otherwise secure the cable minimally especially near the termination point. In the case of the picture above, you really don't need to staple the cables like that. Some velcro cable wrap would have worked these are also an option (But only where you have lots of wires):
Gardner Bender Multi-Cable Staples (20-Pack)-MCS-20W - The Home Depot
Don't go undoing your staples or anything, just know that stapling like that was necessary.

I'm also not sure why you felt like you needed to drill holes on the trusses for romex, just run it on top.

Last edited:

RichardPryor

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yep, leaving plenty of slack on those staples. It’s what I had on hand so that’s why I used them @tangent.

The holes through trusses was a noob mistake that cost me $300 for engineering fees. Inspector said it was a big no-no so I had to get an engineer come and measure holes and distance etc. integrity of truss was not compromised so all is good.

Regarding camera location for front door, not sure if I should put it on the wall where door is or opposite side of the wall. Think wall where door is would be better as it catches angle of people coming towards door, correct? Here are the angles.

Picture one looking from door towards 2 possible camera locations.

Picture 2 looking from camera locations to door.

Also, how do you like a camera here for the door leading to/from kitchen - deck?

RichardPryor

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Also, would you do recessed lights on the tongue and groove area on main entrance? I can wire for them tomorrow before they finish installing it. Planned on having 2 lights on each side of front door. Not sure how the recessed would look there, or if they would serve any purpose. Can always wire it and decide later.

RichardPryor

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
For coaxial cable, should I run from TV#1 location (where main box will be) to TV#2, #3, #4, etc location? Or from CWP to TV#1, then another to TV#2, etc etc?

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
All the cables should be home runs, meaning all individual runs without splices or splitters, from the equipment room to the point of use.

If you haven't already got the coax I'd recommend Belden 7915A. It's relatively inexpensive and very good stuff.

Last edited:

RichardPryor

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That cable is 2x as expensive as the cat 6. I just checked my second tv box (wireless) and it doesn’t even have a coax in plug.

Again, coaxial is strictly for cable tv like directv dish etc correct? That’s the only reason I would need coaxial?

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Again, coaxial is strictly for cable tv like directv dish etc correct? That’s the only reason I would need coaxial?
Residential coaxial cable is rated at a 75 ohm impedance, same as TV and cable box in/out impedance. You want to use it for all 75 ohm devices. When you match the output impedance of a device to the same input impedance of another device, using the correct cable impedance, you get Maximum power transfer. Meaning good design and low loss. Likewise for enet cable for all your IP appliances, except different impedance.

blaze1

n3wb
Reaction score
I built our 1 story house in 2002, I had someone do the framing and roof. I did the inside framing, electrical, some plumbing, insulation, septic system and finish work etc. I ran cat5e cable in all 3 bedrooms, where our TV would be and a couple extra runs to the porch and other living spaces. They didn't have much POE back then and I would like to now add some access points on the ceilings but I have 3 feet of blown-in insulation in the attic and it's impossible to get up there. I also want to run some to the edge of the house for a couple of cameras where the driveway is and luckily I can get up in the porch attic area easily. The hard part is getting into the soffits. I ran the cat5e and 75 ohm coax all to our mechanical room which is close to the center of the house.

I did run some conduit to our separate garage with an office upstairs (built in 2006) and barn. And I just ran a cat6 cable through the conduit to the garage this summer. There was a bunch of water in it! I had sealed both ends but it finds its way in somehow. I drilled a hole in the lowest part to get it to drain out. I used part of a sponge tied to a string and my shop vac to pull the string through. Then tied the cat6 to it and pulled the cable through. I had a wifi link to the garage and it was not reliable, I get gb speeds now. I have a couple of cameras (Linux based using Motion software) in the garage/office that look down at the house and driveway but are too far to pick up license plate and faces.

I also ran wire for an alarm system which I hooked up a couple of years ago. Most of my sensors are wireless but I have a couple of motion sensors and break sensors on wire. I also put in speaker wire for 5.1 in the TV area. It's nice and clean, I mounted the speakers on the wall over the wall plates . I ran speaker wire to the porch area and one bathroom but I never hooked it up.

I wish I had run more cat5e cable and some conduit in the attic for future stuff.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That cable is 2x as expensive as the cat 6. I just checked my second tv box (wireless) and it doesn’t even have a coax in plug.

Sure, it could be more expensive than Ethrrnet cable, but my comment was only intended relative to quality and price of other RG6-type coax.

Generally, yes, it is for TV/satellite. But, it can also be used to distribute Ethernet over coax (MoCA), and also things like digital audio, line level analog audio, and just about any type of signal that needs an unbalanced, shielded cable.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Picture one looking from door towards 2 possible camera locations.
I think the location closer to the house will be better. Exact placement (mainly height) is a little tricky, balancing what looks right, potential for birds nests, and ir reflection off the beam.

Also, how do you like a camera here for the door leading to/from kitchen - deck?
Seems like a reasonable location. Have you considered a camera around the corner tucked up by the beam on the covered porch?

IDK if a big PTZ appeals, but if it does the outer corners of the covered porch could be a good place for one. Know that noise from a camera like that may be audible in the house.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also, would you do recessed lights on the tongue and groove area on main entrance? I can wire for them tomorrow before they finish installing it. Planned on having 2 lights on each side of front door. Not sure how the recessed would look there, or if they would serve any purpose. Can always wire it and decide later.
Recessed may be better for the camera than wall mounted fixtures. Ultimately it's a matter of what you like the look and function of.