Im a Neophyte and my head is spinning

Reaction score
Im sorry gentlemen, I have to step away or these kids are going to kill me. I promised id swim with them.

I appreciate all the help, and it was very helpful indeed. Ill get an Empire tech and see how it goes. I'm guessing it should work just fine. But well see. I will definitely be back.

Thanks again. You guys are awesome.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No kidding? With all of the movie ripping and encoding I do, I have found h265 to be awesome. Having said that, I will have to defer to experience here, cameras are most likely different than my computers when it come to processing power and whatnot. So, if it does both, Ill try both and see? If it only does 264, no biggie. I do have about 30 terabytes of storage, so im not worried about the size at all. I was thinking more network saturation. My Lan runs on 2.5Gb. But the Wan is only 1Gigabit, and that's cable gigabit. So up load to the WAN is only 50 megabits. That's it. But, if that's not enough for live footage to my phone over the WAN, it doesnt really matter because i cant do anything about it anyway.
You will find these cameras and capabilities very different than what you are used to.

H264 is the standard codec that universally works with these systems.

H265 well every manufacturer has their own tweak and coding in it and then funky things happen.

We get threads here all the time where their video isn't being seen by their VMS or the bottom of the image is green or it flashes green or some other weird thing. They change to H264 and the problems go away.

We haven't told you yet that these better cameras still work best with Internet Explorer....yeah we know, but it is still available and native to Windows.

Reaction score
oooohhhh. Hmm. Internet explorer huh? Man, I haven't used that in a long time. Guess if I have to, then I have to. Ive heard its gotten a lot better. Or maybe it was Edge thats better, cant remember now.

Anyway, its a done deal. Thank you for the help gentlemen, I will be sure to let you know how it goes. Should have an update by Wednesday.

In the meantime, lots of studying to do. Such is life.

Thanks