I'm not seeing 5231-ZE anymore ... is something newer recommended?

bugsysiegals

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I currently have 1 x IPC-HDW5831-ZE and 5 x IPC-HDW5231R-ZE for my outdoors security cameras. I want to add 3-4 more all of which will be in areas with low light. I was looking for more 5231's but do not see them in Andy's store.

FWIW - All but 2 of my existing cameras are in places with LED motion sensing lighting. That said, is there a better camera I should buy than the 5231 for the new low light locations or as a replacement for the LED lit locations which I can then move the 5231's to the low light areas?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I currently have 1 x IPC-HDW5831-ZE and 5 x IPC-HDW5231R-ZE for my outdoors security cameras. I want to add 3-4 more all of which will be in areas with low light. I was looking for more 5231's but do not see them in Andy's store.

FWIW - All but 2 of my existing cameras are in places with LED motion sensing lighting. That said, is there a better camera I should buy than the 5231 for the new low light locations or as a replacement for the LED lit locations which I can then move the 5231's to the low light areas?
Hi @bugsysiegals

China factories have been running at reduced capacity recently due to the Conora Virus ( COVID-19 ) - so the supply chain is disrupted and some products are limited stock or out of stock right now.

iirc Andy posts only what he has in stock.

That noted, many here are liking some of the newer 4MP Dahua starlight+ models - so I would check out those reviews and see what Andy has available.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd vote for the new 5442 4MP series but there are some Lite models that appear to be getting good results equal or a bit better than the 5231 series,,

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it was this one, which has better min illumination specs than the 5231

Last edited:

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

bugsysiegals

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll check these two out. I'd started reading about the 5442 and thought it might be good if the LED could be activated through command line by Blue Iris but also read it may take a second or two to focus; however, this would probably be fine in my backyard where I'd use them.

Is there anything newly released or planned to be released worth waiting around for?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll check these two out. I'd started reading about the 5442 and thought it might be good if the LED could be activated through command line by Blue Iris but also read it may take a second or two to focus; however, this would probably be fine in my backyard where I'd use them.

Is there anything newly released or planned to be released worth waiting around for?
Hi @bugsysiegals

Don't expect the supply chain to recover soon enough.... if the stock is not yet available, plan for significant delays. ( i.e. I would not wait for newer models right now, unless you want to wait until the fall when the supply chain is more likely to be recovered imho .. )

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

5231ze here:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is a fixed lens version of the 2231-Z with good night vision. You might need to check a few sellers on Ali to see if they have stock.

Not tried it but do have a couple of the Z version (2.8mm - 13mm lens) on order.

#Aliexpress US $63.12 13%OFF | Dahua IP Camera IPC-HDW2231TM-AS-S2 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera Starlight built-in Mic support POE Security Camera

StratRider

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is a fixed lens version of the 2231-Z with good night vision. You might need to check a few sellers on Ali to see if they have stock.

Not tried it but do have a couple of the Z version (2.8mm - 13mm lens) on order.

#Aliexpress US $63.12 13%OFF | Dahua IP Camera IPC-HDW2231TM-AS-S2 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera Starlight built-in Mic support POE Security Camera
This is most certainly a knockoff even though one of them says it has the English version.
I can't find that exact model # at Andy's store either which is usually a big tip off for me.

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is most certainly a knockoff even though one of them says it has the English version.
I can't find that exact model # at Andy's store either which is usually a big tip off for me.
That's a fairly big conclusion you're jumping to......

Also you must remember that Andy changes the model numbers on his store. If I'm correct, replace Dahua "HFW" with Andy's "B" (Bullet?) and "HDW" with "T" (Turret?). He may also change some of the suffix letters.

Last edited:

StratRider

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Also you must remember that Andy changes the model numbers on his store. If I'm correct, replace Dahua "HFW" with Andy's "B" (Bullet?) and "HDW" with "T" (Turret?). He may also change some of the suffix letters.
It's just the impression I get from reading the wiki items and a LOT of comments on this forum.
I'm all about getting the most bang for the buck, so I keep an open mind for any newer & better information that is posted.
Some comparative reviews from actual users would be awesome since I never liked being on the "bleeding edge". If you grab any of these, please let us know - it's a heck of a price. ;)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Hi @essjay

I don't think "knock off" is an appropriate concern, however always do be cautious with Aliexpress vendors - as often they will sell a Chinese market camera from Dahua / Hikvision and "hack" the software to provide English language support. So do watch for that... and try to only go with vendors which other ipcamtalk members will recommend.

bugsysiegals

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It appears you can open a fixed focal camera, remove the epoxy glue around the lens cap, and screw it in or out to manually adjust the optical zoom ... is this true? If so, this would allow a person to re-purpose one of these cameras, adjust the optical zoom, and not have to worry whether the camera is suited for the new location. For me, I don't adjust the optical zoom but would if I moved it or had different needs in the future.