Images from TVI system very choppy

ilan1h2020

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just had a 4 camera TVI systems installed in one of my offices. The equipment is Hikvision (8 channel DVR, 2T and an audio feed). The images from the cameras are very clear but the video is so choppy as to be unwatcheable. The upload bandwidth at the office is very poor (under 1MB) so I can understand that live viewing would be limited. However, I had hoped that I could watch previous footage in a smooth manner. Right now what is happening is that when I try to access previously recorded footage it is so jerky that the delays between the frames are longer than the frames themselves. Likewise, the audio is incomprehensible because every 4th word is interrupted. To summarize: I'm very happy with the resolution and image clarity but would appreciate any advice on software or hardware fixes to make the pre-recorded video stream much smoother. Thanks.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The upload bandwidth at the office is very poor (under 1MB) so I can understand that live viewing would be limited.
If that's how you are connecting to the DVR, both recorded or live view will suffer greatly with such a low speed connection.
Did the installer advise you on what the limitations would be with a limited speed access to the DVR?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How are you viewing remotely? mobile app? pc browser? Does the DVR allow you to adjust the remote view bitrate?

ilan1h2020

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The android software app that I use is IVMS4500 (? hikvision). It allows me to adjust bitrate, frame rate, resolution, "clear vs. fluid". The PC access comes from typing in the DVR's IP address into a browser. The only way right now for me to access the feed is remotely. The installer told me that my poor upload speed would be worse for an IP cam installation but just fine for a TVI installation; others on this forum disagree. My question is would I get better fluidity if I used 3rd party software? Or do I need to hardwire the DVR to one of my monitors/PC's at work so that I can at least get a smooth feed there? My personal office at work is about 100 feet away from the current location of the DVR and I have a PC with 2 screens in that office. Incidentally, I think the installer was misleading when he installed this system. He would show me the video feed on a connected monitor as he was installing the cameras and told me "that's how it will look like when we're done".

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The android software app that I use is IVMS4500 (? hikvision). It allows me to adjust bitrate, frame rate, resolution, "clear vs. fluid". The PC access comes from typing in the DVR's IP address into a browser. The only way right now for me to access the feed is remotely. The installer told me that my poor upload speed would be worse for an IP cam installation but just fine for a TVI installation; others on this forum disagree. My question is would I get better fluidity if I used 3rd party software? Or do I need to hardwire the DVR to one of my monitors/PC's at work so that I can at least get a smooth feed there? My personal office at work is about 100 feet away from the current location of the DVR and I have a PC with 2 screens in that office. Incidentally, I think the installer was misleading when he installed this system. He would show me the video feed on a connected monitor as he was installing the cameras and told me "that's how it will look like when we're done".
You will have a smooth image locally...
For remote there is a custom option in the app.. Set it to 512 or lower.. or simply pay more for faster upload speeds (if available)
The installer lied to you about remote viewing being better with tvi... Next time take the advice given to you here. Now you are stuck with tvi install..

spixel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a hikvision tvi system. First off, because its analog, viewing directly on the dvr gives the best quality because its uncompressed and unaffected by bit rate. This is something even IP cameras can't do, the uncompressed 1080p tvi image is amazing.

I don't have such an issue viewing remotely though. Your 1mb upload speed, that must be your internet speed and not local? It would seem to me you're viewing the feed over the internet rather than on your local connection. In that case its understandable that its choppy since you're probably trying to view ~4mb/s while it's only uploading 1mb/s.

ilan1h2020

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You will have a smooth image locally...
For remote there is a custom option in the app.. Set it to 512 or lower.. or simply pay more for faster upload speeds (if available)
The installer lied to you about remote viewing being better with tvi... Next time take the advice given to you here. Now you are stuck with tvi install..
Not sure what you mean by this. I am thrilled with the cameras and with the resolution of the image. I am not happy with the remote view on my android and suspect that this is due to my slow dsl upload speed. Would this have been any different with IP cameras? If anything, I suspect that the remote viewing would either be no better with 4 MP IP cameras or possibly much worse. Anyway, it's not a moot issue for me because I have multiple locations and want to know the solution. I suspect the best solution would be to run an HDMI cable from the DVR to the computer in my office (about 75 ft) and hopefully will then get a non-choppy image from each camera feed. Honestly, would IP cameras have given me a different or better experience? If so, I will implement them on the other locations.

Thanks Spixel: my DSL upload speed is under 1MB. The download speed is about 3-4MB. I don't know what you mean by "internet speed" or "local". I assume DSL is internet.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by this. I am thrilled with the cameras and with the resolution of the image. I am not happy with the remote view on my android and suspect that this is due to my slow dsl upload speed. Would this have been any different with IP cameras? If anything, I suspect that the remote viewing would either be no better with 4 MP IP cameras or possibly much worse. Anyway, it's not a moot issue for me because I have multiple locations and want to know the solution. I suspect the best solution would be to run an HDMI cable from the DVR to the computer in my office (about 75 ft) and hopefully will then get a non-choppy image from each camera feed. Honestly, would IP cameras have given me a different or better experience? If so, I will implement them on the other locations.

Thanks Spixel: my DSL upload speed is under 1MB. The download speed is about 3-4MB. I don't know what you mean by "internet speed" or "local". I assume DSL is internet.
What I mean is that IP would be the SAME for remote viewing and your installer LIED to you when he said tvi would be better.
THE SOLUTION IS TO EITHER GET A FASTER UPLOAD SPEED OR SET THE BITRATE LOWER. Why dont you pay a few dollars more month and get a faster upload connection. I dont know how to explain that any better. There is an option in the mobile app to set a custom bitrate. You can likely also set a custom substream rate in the DVR so when you connect remotely the stream will be smooth.
When you are local in the office ALL OF THIS IS A NON ISSUE. That is basic networking 101. You should be getting a smooth stream on your local pc on the SAME network as the DVR.
Using TVI in a new installation is silly.

spixel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Are the areas where you're viewing the laggy footage able to connect locally to the same network the dvr is on, for example can you log into the router which is connected to the dvr?

If so, all you need to do is setup the dvr/ivms4500 to do remote viewing locally rather than through the cloud which I suspect it is doing now. Other than that, your only option for improved viewing of recorded footage is to lower the recording bit rate to 1mbps. If I recall, the default on the hikvision tvi dvr is set to medium quality @ 2mbps. For watching live view, you can use the substream but quality will be bad. If you update your dvr to latest firmware, channel zero coding is enabled. This allows all cameras to be viewed as a single channel, ideal for limited bandwith but again, quality is bad.

What is the model number of the dvr and cameras you have?

ilan1h2020

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A faster upload is not possible. This is an old building with a DSL line and I have the fastest speed possible (ATT). They have been promising me for over 2 years that U-verse would be coming and are now predicting it will be her in June. I won't hold my breath. Once again, I don't understand why you are claiming that using TVI is silly. I paid $850 for 4 cameras and a DVR completely installed. I am very happy with absolutely everything except the remote view. As I previously posted, I could have had an IP camera system for about $2500 and you are claiming that it would be the SAME for remote viewing. Therefore, why is it silly that I paid $850 to get the same remote view as with the more expensive option? I would understand your point if I had a desperate need for 4MP resolution viewing, but the 1.2MP that they gave me is wonderfully clear to my eye and is everything that I needed for the situation. I think that once I figure out how to get a smooth stream on my local PC I will be very satisfied. Incidentally, if that works I wouldn't even consider getting IP systems for my other locations. I'm not sure I understand why HD-over analog systems (TVI, CVI, SDI etc) are so derided on this forum. The entire setup took a few hours, it was highly affordable and the images are surprisingly crisp and clear. The power supply issues, cabling etc were really irrelevant since this was done in a tiny space over drop ceilings. I understand all the issues about resolution scalability, future-proofing, PoE etc but there must be thousands of people such as myself who need a limited, local solution to simply monitor large bodies moving around a small shop. This solution overall worked extremely well and I'm sure that if my upload speed was normal it would have even given me a terrific remote viewing experience as well.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
A faster upload is not possible. This is an old building with a DSL line and I have the fastest speed possible (ATT). They have been promising me for over 2 years that U-verse would be coming and are now predicting it will be her in June. I won't hold my breath. Once again, I don't understand why you are claiming that using TVI is silly. I paid $850 for 4 cameras and a DVR completely installed. I am very happy with absolutely everything except the remote view. As I previously posted, I could have had an IP camera system for about $2500 and you are claiming that it would be the SAME for remote viewing. Therefore, why is it silly that I paid $850 to get the same remote view as with the more expensive option? I would understand your point if I had a desperate need for 4MP resolution viewing, but the 1.2MP that they gave me is wonderfully clear to my eye and is everything that I needed for the situation. I think that once I figure out how to get a smooth stream on my local PC I will be very satisfied. Incidentally, if that works I wouldn't even consider getting IP systems for my other locations. I'm not sure I understand why HD-over analog systems (TVI, CVI, SDI etc) are so derided on this forum. The entire setup took a few hours, it was highly affordable and the images are surprisingly crisp and clear. The power supply issues, cabling etc were really irrelevant since this was done in a tiny space over drop ceilings. I understand all the issues about resolution scalability, future-proofing, PoE etc but there must be thousands of people such as myself who need a limited, local solution to simply monitor large bodies moving around a small shop. This solution overall worked extremely well and I'm sure that if my upload speed was normal it would have even given me a terrific remote viewing experience as well.
You could have had a 1.3mp ip system for the same price. (1.3mp ip systems go for the same price as tvi) You priced apples to oranges. I am not going to rehash the other thread. Suffice it to say its a terrible idea. At the very least the installer should have used ethernet. TVI is transitional technology and should not be installed in new runs.
Regardless, the solution posted about adjusting the bit rate should work. Dont know why you are refusing to try that.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I suspect the best solution would be to run an HDMI cable from the DVR to the computer in my office (about 75 ft)
I'm a bit confused by the above, presumably I've misunderstood somehow.
Is the PC in your office the one that you get choppy video on, when viewing the DVR?
If so - presumably there is a reason why a LAN cable can't be run. What am I missing?

ilan1h2020

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Once again, I have no particular objection to IP cameras but I'm not sure why TVI is a "terrible idea". I've repeatedly said that I am more than thrilled with the image quality, the simplicity of the installation and the price point. I absolutely don't need anything more than 1.2MP and I certainly don't care about "transitional" since at my age this is the last system I will own. My 2 cents.

Anyway, as to the question about the set up: It is a 4 camera system in which every camera is wired to the DVR. The DVR is wired to the router. Therefore, there is no monitor anywhere which is directly wired to the DVR. They told me that to do that they could have run an HDMI cable from the DVR for 75 feet to my personal office. The DVR itself is hidden above the tiles in the drop ceiling. The only way I can see the video is either on my android phone or on a PC (either at my office or my home.) Even if I use the PC in my office it's not directly wired to the DVR but theoretically I should be able to get a better image since the PC is connected to the router that the DVR is connected to. Obviously my android phone and the home PC will get choppy images due to the poor bandwidth.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Once again, I have no particular objection to IP cameras but I'm not sure why TVI is a "terrible idea". I've repeatedly said that I am more than thrilled with the image quality, the simplicity of the installation and the price point. I absolutely don't need anything more than 1.2MP and I certainly don't care about "transitional" since at my age this is the last system I will own. My 2 cents.
I guess if you plan on dying in the next few years, are fine the limited options for dvr's and the functions they provide and dont care about who takes over your system (forced to run new cable), you are correct.
The rest of us with longer life expediencies will install ip. Again you could have installed a 1.3mp ip system for the SAME cost with many more options in the future.
Have you tried using the pc in your office or just guessing? This makes no sense. IF your office pc displays choppy video then something else is going on.

spixel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Anyway, as to the question about the set up: It is a 4 camera system in which every camera is wired to the DVR. The DVR is wired to the router. Therefore, there is no monitor anywhere which is directly wired to the DVR. They told me that to do that they could have run an HDMI cable from the DVR for 75 feet to my personal office. The DVR itself is hidden above the tiles in the drop ceiling. The only way I can see the video is either on my android phone or on a PC (either at my office or my home.) Even if I use the PC in my office it's not directly wired to the DVR but theoretically I should be able to get a better image since the PC is connected to the router that the DVR is connected to. Obviously my android phone and the home PC will get choppy images due to the poor bandwidth.
If you are logging into the dvr from your pc then there shouldn't be any choppiness on the playback. Show me your settings here tvitvi.png or here if your dvr is on a newer firmware tvitvi2.png

ilan1h2020

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you are logging into the dvr from your pc then there shouldn't be any choppiness on the playback. Show me your settings here View attachment 8302 or here if your dvr is on a newer firmware View attachment 8303
I've discovered that I can see perfectly from my PC at work on the same network. Therefore, the choppiness is only on the remote view (when I access it on the android program). Incidentally, I didn't really understand what you mean by "show me your settings here".

spixel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've discovered that I can see perfectly from my PC at work on the same network. Therefore, the choppiness is only on the remote view (when I access it on the android program). Incidentally, I didn't really understand what you mean by "show me your settings here".
What method are you using to view on the pc?

ilan1h2020

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm using the dvr's IP address which I type into a search bar in my web browser. Those installers did not configure anything for me. I will probably have to spend hours playing around with it to understand it all. Also, one of the cameras is not configured properly since it has a Menu Settings directly in the middle of its image. I suspect that they forgot to configure it. I even have a hard time trying to understand exactly what model number and make of DVR and cameras they used. Everything has generic terms such as "DVR" or "TVI camera". Even the PDF from the disc they left me says nothing other than "DVR Instructions" (no model number listed anywhere). Apart from all that I'm actually happy with the images and how it all appears. Also very happy with the audio which is crystal clear.

spixel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm using the dvr's IP address which I type into a search bar in my web browser. Those installers did not configure anything for me. I will probably have to spend hours playing around with it to understand it all. Also, one of the cameras is not configured properly since it has a Menu Settings directly in the middle of its image. I suspect that they forgot to configure it. I even have a hard time trying to understand exactly what model number and make of DVR and cameras they used. Everything has generic terms such as "DVR" or "TVI camera". Even the PDF from the disc they left me says nothing other than "DVR Instructions" (no model number listed anywhere). Apart from all that I'm actually happy with the images and how it all appears. Also very happy with the audio which is crystal clear.
Does the dvr interface on your pc look anything like this? To remove the menu, use the ptz controls on right side once the camera view is selected.

+iris is to enable menu, arrows to navigate, +iris to select. You should be able to find the exit using these controls, or try -iris

tvi2.png

milkisbad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If they didn't configure anything for you i would do these things:

-check to make sure your time zone is right, it comes in Beijing Time Zone

-set the Day light savings time

-increase the pre and post record time of the video so you don't miss what happens when motion is triggered (default of 5 seconds isn't enough imo), think it is under Config->camera setting->Schedule->advanced

-while you're in there make sure audio is recording too, not sure if it is on by default.

-try to learn how to search footage/ and back up your computer, since you said your unit is hidden...and last thing you want to do is call your installer who will charge you $50 to come to your site only to find out he probably doesn't know how to back up either then call tech support and wait an hour with the cops behind your back (true story)

-make sure you have a good estimate on how long you can record for, your unit can take up to a 6 TB HD if you need more storage, and you don't want to find out something important got overwritten because he cut corners and gave you a 500gb Green drive (you can check your HDD size under HDD management)

-if you will change your password, write down what you changed it to, the installer probably doesn't know how to reset it either.

-since you are using your PC, you can turn on auto-start live view/resume live view status under Local Configuration, so the webpage will remember what you were watching and save you some time from clicking play on each camera

Last edited: