Imou Ranger 2: Access via ONVIF

Reaction score
Imou is Dahua's consumer products tradename. This concerns the Imou Ranger 2 camera. Works fine with the Imou app (formerly LeChange).

The specs state it is Onvif compatible. I would like to use it with iSpy software but have been unable to connect.

iSpy do not list Imou in their cam database, so have tried the auto-scanner - without success.

I have tried: ONVIF Device Manager (Synesis):
Login as: admin/<password>
Using address: http://<ip>/onvif/device_service
It reports:
"Sender not Authorized"
"(400) Bad Request"

I am aware that Dahua have removed the web interface from their Imou firmware but surely it
should still be Onvif contactable?

Any help woul be appreciated.

Attachments

ipvnmc2

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, you could try below. I just got the same camera and get it to work.

rtsp:/admin:XXX@192.168.x.x:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&unicast=true&proto=Onvif

username is admin with XXX is the password when you set it up via the App or backup code under the camera.

edit: Just found out you can also login with that user/pass using Onvif DM

Reaction score
You beat me to it! I managed to get this RTSP URL working in VLC player and iSpy.

Couple of points, you have a / missing in your URL.
The username is always set to admin, the password is always set to the Safety Code, written on bottom of cam.
(Even if the password is changed in the app), that seems to me a bit of a security issue.

Code:
rtsp:/admin:<SAFETY-CODE>@<IP-NUMBER>:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&unicast=true&proto=Onvif
Apart from port 554 for RTSP, it also has port TCP 37777 open. Maybe this is the control port (PTZ, nightvision etc) ?

When I packet analyse the camera, it uses a random set of ports, for instance:
16760, 16761, 16762, 16772, 17041, 46277, 46872, 46876, 46880, 46890, 59874

It's a new camera, but even so, I am tempted to open it up and look for connections for my uart . . .

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Couple of points, you have a / missing in your URL.
Guess what...there's a glitch in the forum software that prevents you from putting in two "/" (forward slashes) next to each other, even when put inside </>CODE as you did.
I noted that also, attempted to tell @ipvnmc2 in a private message when I discovered MY post to him had one slash as well!

I've notified Admin and Mike's looking into it, I guess. </>HTML won't allow it either. Heck you can't even put 2 together ANYWHERE. :idk:

Last edited:

ipvnmc2

n3wb
Reaction score
The username is always set to admin, the password is always set to the Safety Code, written on bottom of cam.
(Even if the password is changed in the app), that seems to me a bit of a security issue.
Good point. This is kinda like a one-time programmed code that tied to the device. When you setup it via the App it also said that in case you forgot the password, you can use this code to reset.
Btw, you can create other users using Onvif Device Manager with access control lower than admin rights (like 'operator') to access Onvif streams.
Also this camera works with Config Tool Software/Dahua Toolbox/ConfigTool - Dahua Wiki. I've managed to tune it up a little bit (static ip, video quality, wide dynamic range ...).

Reaction score
Good point. This is kinda like a one-time programmed code that tied to the device. When you setup it via the App it also said that in case you forgot the password, you can use this code to reset.
Btw, you can create other users using Onvif Device Manager with access control lower than admin rights (like 'operator') to access Onvif streams.
Also this camera works with Config Tool Software/Dahua Toolbox/ConfigTool - Dahua Wiki. I've managed to tune it up a little bit (static ip, video quality, wide dynamic range ...).
Thank you. I'll check out the tools you have used. I bravely took the cam apart last night to take a look. Lots of fragile plastic tabs to unlock, had to be careful.

It's based on the chip HiSilicon Hi3516. There appears to be what looks like uart pads on the PCB. When my soldering iron is repaired, I'll give it a go.
PCB-Side#1.jpgPCB-Side#2.jpgIC-HiSilicon-Hi3516-SoCProcessor.jpgPCB-Side#1.jpgPCB-Side#2.jpg

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
There appears to be what looks like uart pads on the PCB. When my soldering iron is repaired, I'll give it a go.
It usually works OK to simply poke some suitable gauge insulated wires, with 2 or 3 mm stripped, in the through holes, maybe tension them against something with an elastic band.
Carefully avoiding connecting the serial TTP adaptor to the +3.3v which will be one of the pads.

sammyJ

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I've just bought this camera and i want to record video directly to a NAS I mounted with open media vault and a raspberry pi 2. I could use some help, I supouse that i have to connect it somewhow with onvif but i haven't find how. What software would you suggest?
Thanks in advance.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I've just bought this camera and i want to record video directly to a NAS I mounted with open media vault and a raspberry pi 2. I could use some help, I supouse that i have to connect it somewhow with onvif but i haven't find how. What software would you suggest?
Thanks in advance.
Consider VLC for Raspberry Pi

If it's ONVIF compatible, put it on your LAN, get ODM, run it on a PC on the same LAN subnet as the camera, find the camera, open "View" and look for the RTSP stream URL to be used with VLC.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Can't help that much as I found the cam's web interface used Firewall hole punching rather than a specific port. It was not possible to get it to connect to my home VPN as could not make it port forward.

It is stated by Imou to be ONVIF compatible but I found it only part compatible. We did find a URL which works, for instance, with VLC:
rtsp:/admin:<SAFETY-CODE>@<IP-NUMBER>:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&unicast=true&proto=Onvif

safety-code is written on bottom of cam. Even if password changed, same safety-code has to be used, security issue?

I tried to use it with iSpy software. Could get a stream using above URL but could not get pan/tilt working as not ONVIF compatible.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can't help that much as I found the cam's web interface used Firewall hole punching rather than a specific port. It was not possible to get it to connect to my home VPN as could not make it port forward.

It is stated by Imou to be ONVIF compatible but I found it only part compatible. We did find a URL which works, for instance, with VLC:

safety-code is written on bottom of cam. Even if password changed, same safety-code has to be used, security issue?

I tried to use it with iSpy software. Could get a stream using above URL but could not get pan/tilt working as not ONVIF compatible.
My bad...I was replying to @sammyJ in post #8 regarding Rasp Pi, forgot to hit "reply" first. :facepalm:

sammyJ

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried tha url and works from my windows VLC. Thats fine for watching the stream but what i want is directly record the stream in my raspberry pi when an alarm ocurs...

eole210

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Thanks for all the nice information above. I am also planning to buy one of these and connect it to iSpy but I am quite hesitant because of the pan/tilt/ptz not being available from iSpy.
Is there a workaround? Like using their software for pan/tilt/ptz operations and iSpy for alerting and recording?
Thanks!
eole210

Reaction score
I think you would be able to use iSpy for alerting/recording. And yes could use their app to PT, but inconvenient?

If you want one still, I gave up on the one I bought, it's here!

I went for a Foscam R2M. Although Foscam have had a bad rep in past for security, I have Wireshark this cam and found no evidence of it 'phoning home'. It also insists on changing default passwords on first use.

I do not use their cell/mobile app. I use IP Cam Viewer by Robert Chou, on Android. A stable app that is in active development. In that app you select camera model Foscam R2 which works well, PT & 2way sound good.

It is ONVIF compatible (not just partial like Imou). It does use Port Forwarding, so should be used via VPN. I use OpenVPN on RaspberryPi. You can set it to use your own port rather than default. It also allows for SSL connection.

I do not use Foscam's own cloud recording as this does introduce far more possible security issues. Maybe I'll install an SDCard sometime or set to record on local PC/Raspberry.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

eole210

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, Foscam R2M, seems nice but around 25% more expensive. Full local access though, which is nice, I agree.
The Ranger 2 is on sale today, 35 euros, so I'll give it a try and see if iSpy can only do recording/alerting and not PTZ.
What surprised me is that someone commented this deal saying that the cam was fully recognized by odm (onvif device manager) when using admin/password_under_cam. Do you not confirm?

mp3addict

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

Just want to share with you and thank you as well.

IR2 It is pretty nice if you have multiple wireless and just want to use the cloud for recording. Because I am not a fan of that I got this because it has a LAN port and supported recording locally to an existing NVR. I found this thread and the rtsp helped me determine on what my username and password is. I tried to use the username that was created when i did the imou account but would not work, then i tried the admin with security code - still nothing. Last I tried admin then the password I created when I was setting up the account on the imou site, it would have asked you to create like 2 passwords, 1 for the email that you would use to logon to the imou site then another one to create like a username, luckily I just made them both the same password.

I was able to add this device to my existing Dahua NVR using the port 37777 mentioned here, pan and tilt working, speaking through the IR2 through grouped cameras on the IDMSS does not work but when added individually on the IDMSS app it works.
I am using the free IDMSS app by Dahua.

The NVR supports Onvif as well.

Once again thank you.

harmakhis

n3wb
Reaction score
Guys ,

i finally find a way to make it work on Qnap videosurveillance app by using the ONVIF Protocol :

You need to configure your own rtsp url like this one : rtsp:/[RANGER2__IP_ADRESS_]:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=1
and you will use as creditial "admin" username and the password you use to register the camera on the IMOU smartphone app .

And boom it works .

See ya,

Imou is Dahua's consumer products tradename. This concerns the Imou Ranger 2 camera. Works fine with the Imou app (formerly LeChange).

The specs state it is Onvif compatible. I would like to use it with iSpy software but have been unable to connect.

iSpy do not list Imou in their cam database, so have tried the auto-scanner - without success.

I have tried: ONVIF Device Manager (Synesis):
Login as: admin/<password>
Using address: http://<ip>/onvif/device_service
It reports:
"Sender not Authorized"
"(400) Bad Request"

I am aware that Dahua have removed the web interface from their Imou firmware but surely it
should still be Onvif contactable?

Any help woul be appreciated.

Reaction score
We managed to find this URL to use. See messages in this thread from around Oct last year.

This is not a complaint against you, I just would like to add that we did find some other additional bits on the URL that you are missing but may find useful.

demian2g

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks guys! With Imou Cue 2 security code is in QR like {SN:bla-bla,SC:<SECURITY CODE>...}

Freland

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm trying to add the Ranger 2 to Surveillance station on my Synology 918+, but no luck. I've tried Generic onvif, generic dahua etc. Anyone managed to get it setup in Surveillance station?