Indoor kitchen camera?

gln2

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been reading through this site over the past month or so. Plenty of info on outdoor cameras, but very little regarding indoor ones. I want to start with purchasing an indoor camera, this summer I'll look to add a few outdoor models when and if I can get the network cable run. Below is a still shot from one old indoor Foscam FI8918W (640x480!) that I want to replace. That's an 80deg FOV. Forget any motion as it's usually blurry.

Camera is sitting on a cabinet shelf. Distance straight ahead to the opposite cabinet is 9ft while distance to the far left edge opening & door is 16 ft.

snapshot_Foscam Kitchen shot.jpg

New camera requirements:
- approx 100deg FOV so I can see beyond the counter on the right side of frame, so guess that makes it a 2.8mm lens model. Fixed lens should be good.
- thinking of a 4MP model as I do want to have accurate facial ID. Will have camera record 24hrs.
- ceiling hat lights directly above camera is now controlled by a wifi smartswitch, and I just ordered an Abode security system so I believe I can have those lights turn on with motion. So camera would not have to be a "Starlight" type model.
- mic for audio recording
- Power: POE as I do have a CAT6 network cable at the cam location, and I'm tired of my Foscam power supplies dying!
- main video stream will be recorded direct to a QNAP TS-453Be NAS, both camera & NAS are CAT6 hardwired to network switch in basement.
- Software: will try out the QNAP Surveillance Station app, or would run Blue Iris on a PC.

Looking through the Dahua website I see this 4MP model N44CG52-B
It has a 1/3 inch 2.8mm fixed lens and sells for about $140 online.
4MP IR Fixed Lens ePoE Eyeball (Black) – Dahua North America

These turret/eyball cameras are typically picured screwed and mounted onto a ceiling or wall. Can they be placed base down and just stand upright on a shelf in a bookcase cabinet?

I don't like paying the premium price for the weatherproof ip67 outdoor build, but I do want good video quality and I don't know what other options could be. Is there a better indoor camera option for my situation?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been reading through this site over the past month or so. Plenty of info on outdoor cameras, but very little regarding indoor ones. I want to start with purchasing an indoor camera, this summer I'll look to add a few outdoor models when and if I can get the network cable run. Below is a still shot from one old indoor Foscam FI8918W (640x480!) that I want to replace. That's an 80deg FOV. Forget any motion as it's usually blurry.

Camera is sitting on a cabinet shelf. Distance straight ahead to the opposite cabinet is 9ft while distance to the far left edge opening & door is 16 ft.

View attachment 38879

New camera requirements:
- approx 100deg FOV so I can see beyond the counter on the right side of frame, so guess that makes it a 2.8mm lens model. Fixed lens should be good.
- thinking of a 4MP model as I do want to have accurate facial ID. Will have camera record 24hrs.
- ceiling hat lights directly above camera is now controlled by a wifi smartswitch, and I just ordered an Abode security system so I believe I can have those lights turn on with motion. So camera would not have to be a "Starlight" type model.
- mic for audio recording
- Power: POE as I do have a CAT6 network cable at the cam location, and I'm tired of my Foscam power supplies dying!
- main video stream will be recorded direct to a QNAP TS-453Be NAS, both camera & NAS are CAT6 hardwired to network switch in basement.
- Software: will try out the QNAP Surveillance Station app, or would run Blue Iris on a PC.

Looking through the Dahua website I see this 4MP model N44CG52-B
It has a 1/3 inch 2.8mm fixed lens and sells for about $140 online.
4MP IR Fixed Lens ePoE Eyeball (Black) – Dahua North America

These turret/eyball cameras are typically picured screwed and mounted onto a ceiling or wall. Can they be placed base down and just stand upright on a shelf in a bookcase cabinet?

I don't like paying the premium price for the weatherproof ip67 outdoor build, but I do want good video quality and I don't know what other options could be. Is there a better indoor camera option for my situation?
Here is a better solution IPC-HFW1831C-PIR 8MP WDR IR Mini Bullet Network Camera / Active Deterrence Overview
there is another thread with video samples by looney
There is also the hikvision cube camera.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 for hikvision cube. I have hikvision cube and 5 Annke i61dr (2mp hikvision). All are hardwired, no wifi.

Reaction score
Here's another vote for the Hikvision cube camera. Depending on which vendor/supplier you select, some offer a choice of 2.8mm or 4.0mm lens. They'll run you about $100, but they're worth it for the reliability and quality.

dvand

n3wb
Reaction score
Isnt the hikvision cube getting hard to find these days?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Isnt the hikvision cube getting hard to find these days?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Its not that it hard to find, its that it no longer 50 bux for the 1080.
The dahua pir camera is better and worth a few extra bux unless you must have the wifi, the OP has ethernet.

gln2

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks to all for your responses. Great forum here! And I may purchase both cams mentioned.
I will purchase the IPC-HFW1831C-PIR camera for my kitchen area.

I also need another interior camera that sits pointing towards my front door, but this cam would need to be wifi. And I want an ~80deg HFOV for this location, otherwise a lot of blank wall would be in the frame. That eliminates the above model for this location. Looks like the Hikvision Cube with the 4mm lens will work good here.

Their website lists two models and the specs look identical.
https://www.hikvision.com/en/Products/Network-Camera/EasyIP-2.0/4MP/DS-2CD244RFWD-IW#prettyPhoto
and
https://www.hikvision.com/en/Products/Network-Camera/EasyIP-2.0/4MP/DS-2CD244PFWD-IW

Anyone know the model difference? Tried googling, nothing matches up to the R or P positon.

My cellphone reads a fair 5Ghz signal of 70Mbps upload speed at the cam location. Of course that is speed out to a website, but that should be plenty of bandwidth. Just wanted to confirm that I should be able to record the 2MP video to my NAS over wifi?

Thanks.