Insurance Fraud Outside My Home

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And this is why I said it is no big deal for the OP to send some stuff to the insurance companies if he is willing to do this...

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, this took a turn!

I complained to my city council rep, and sent over the footage. He forwarded it over to someone at HPD.

I just got a call from HPD, and they have opened an investigation into this. The Honda driver did call it in as a hit and run, and none of the facts line up! So they put me as a witness on the case and asked if I would be willing to identify the person in a lineup if needed.

They told me that HPD should 100% have responded, and its policy that I should have gotten a report number and an officer should have come out to collect the footage

AND, it looks like the guy is a lawyer, and the state bar has been notified of this.

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So you supply all the detailed footage to HPD, and they still want you to pick the guy out in a line-up? Why? Were you watching it all play out in real time, or did you only discover this all when you reviewed the video footage?

Because if you, like everyone thereafter, is only seeing the surveillance footage then F the police and the line-up.

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When a shady lawyer gets hit with a fraud case like this does that mean his past work .. his past cases become scrutinized, re-prosecuted, and bad guys imprisoned? 'Cause you know his scumbag lawyer will pass your name on...but the problem is anyone watching the footage can triangulate back to your place.

Personally I would speak with detectives, and your lawyer and do what you can to isolate yourself from exposure. You're doing the right thing, but your exposure profile needs to be reduced. Talk to a lawyer.

Are you pals with any realtors? :wave:

Reaction score
So you supply all the detailed footage to HPD, and they still want you to pick the guy out in a line-up? Why? Were you watching it all play out in real time, or did you only discover this all when you reviewed the video footage?

Because if you, like everyone thereafter, is only seeing the surveillance footage then F the police and the line-up.
The video of the event is damning. The lawyer (and his lawyer) will try to get it thrown out as evidence. The process they will put @IReallyLikePizza2 through is intended to force him to throw up his hands in exasperation, then refuse to cooperate any further, or fail to show up at court to testify about the provenance of the video. At that point the case against the guy gets thrown out of court.

He needs to play the game and be patient. When they see that he's not going to give up, they will plea bargain. But until then he has to show that he will stand by what his cameras recorded and that he won't back down.

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The video evidence is damning. The lawyer (and his lawyer) will try to get it thrown out as evidence. The process they will put @IReallyLikePizza2 through is intended to force him to throw up his hands in exasperation, then refuse to cooperate any further, or fail to show up at court to testify about the provenance of the video. At that point the case against the guy gets thrown out of court.

He needs to play the game and be patient. When they see that he's not going to give up, they will plea bargain. But until then he has to show that he will stand by what his cameras recorded and that he won't back down.

Help me understand one thing then - IF he did not observe this incident in real time, then why must this citizen 'stand by what his cameras recorded'? Why doesn't the recording stand upon it's own merit?

Couldn't HPD send over some reconstructionists or some expert to take a look at his setup, record some test footage verifying the authenticity of the recordings, and leave him out of it?

Reaction score
When a shady lawyer gets hit with a fraud case like this does that mean his past work .. his past cases become scrutinized, re-prosecuted, and bad guys imprisoned? 'Cause you know his scumbag lawyer will pass your name on...but the problem is anyone watching the footage can triangulate back to your place.

Personally I would speak with detectives, and your lawyer and do what you can to isolate yourself from exposure. You're doing the right thing, but your exposure profile needs to be reduced. Talk to a lawyer.
That's why we have the Second Amendment in the U.S., and states like Texas that honor it.

You can't live in fear of the consequences if you choose to share your video of crimes with the authorities. There are a couple of guys in jail right now because of what my cameras recorded. I don't waste one second worrying about them, their families, or their friends. My cameras record everything around my house, several police detectives know me quite well, and both my wife and I are armed. (She has had law enforcement training and is a much better shot, too.) My dogs aren't big, but they are loud and they will let us know if anyone is on our property. I get instant alerts on my Apple Watch if anyone comes close to my house, day or night.

You can't live in fear of criminals. Quite the contrary, they should be the ones who fear you.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I did witness this in person out my window, I was sitting in my office right there under the camera when it went down

I'm not too concerned of anything coming back to me

From what I understand I wouldn't need to stand behind the footage, its pretty clear its the correct vehicles once you add in the LPR snaps. I may be wrong though, but my footage has been used by HPD for other things

I do doubt they would send any kind of expert to check anything, they didn't even want to send a patrol to make a report :rofl:

Reaction score
Help me understand one thing then - IF he did not observe this incident in real time, then why must this citizen 'stand by what his cameras recorded'? Why doesn't the recording stand upon it's own merit?

Couldn't HPD send over some reconstructionists or some expert to take a look at his setup, record some test footage verifying the authenticity of the recordings, and leave him out of it?
That would have the opposite effect. The defendant's attorney will accuse the HPD and the reconstructionists of tampering with the video evidence to incriminate the client. Or they will claim a hacker broke into his camera system and altered the video.

The recording does not stand on its own merit unless he, the person who supplied the evidence to the police, is willing to testify in court that the video is what he recorded and turned over to the police unaltered.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I did witness this in person out my window, I was sitting in my office right there under the camera when it went down

I'm not too concerned of anything coming back to me

From what I understand I wouldn't need to stand behind the footage, its pretty clear its the correct vehicles once you add in the LPR snaps. I may be wrong though, but my footage has been used by HPD for other things

I do doubt they would send any kind of expert to check anything, they didn't even want to send a patrol to make a report :rofl:
The difference is that this guy is not your common druggie with a public defender. This guy is an attorney. His law license and his entire life will be upended by this video. He will do whatever he can to get it thrown out.

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

A modest reality check, wrapped in light humour.

We can villainize the lawyer all we want; have at it. But while we all do that we have to encourage a path through this which keeps the OP safe. I'm suggesting he reach out to some independent council who can help mitigate his risks, and exposure.

Reaction score
I'm suggesting he reach out to some independent council who can help mitigate his risks, and exposure.
What an independent counsel would recommend is that he refuse to cooperate any further with the police. Let it go; it's not his car, not his problem, why should he get involved and put himself at risk? The default action that any lawyer will advise is very simple: do nothing.

But I think @IReallyLikePizza2 has already shown that he has no intention of doing that.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Just got a call from HPD, they wanted more details on the Blue SUV. The temp tag doesn't come back to anything and is fake, they are currently out looking for it

They also told me the insurance company is now aware and has put the claim they made on hold pending review

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
But at the same time we need more @IReallyLikePizza2 folks in society because without people like him, our society continue to erode to what we have seen in today's society...

Criminals know they can get away with a lot and so many places like California and elsewhere catering to the criminals is sickening.

The only way it stops and starts going back the other way is by doing the right thing.