Internal Security Camera System - Help

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You dont really need to spend 20k...
2100 for the vms
2000 for pc and storage (can even do it for 1k if shopped right)
4-6000 for cams and the network gear...
Avigilon is also a great option, but will cost much more...and does not have the free upgrades...
Also, Digital watchdog provides a discounts on the camera license if you buy a DW camera...
I was throwing some labor into my crude estimates as well as things like UPS and racks and dedicated machines and screens for viewing. I was figuring $10k is about the minimum no labor, but it could easily be more. I'd be genuinely curious about your take on the choice between Dahua, DW, and Hanwha (formerly samsung) cameras for a higher end commercial install. Hanwah and Bosch are the ones I think I've noticed in the field the most.

@BrewFixer you might want to consider buying a membership to IPVM Video Surveillance Information there's lots of information there you might benefit from.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
cantonk/longse are complete trash...aside from the fact that they blatantly ripoff hikvision firmware and they did the same with milestones vms, their quality is trash...see the longse threads...they should never be installed, ever.
especially not in a large company if your don't want to look like an idiot.

toysareforboys

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Why use a router at all ?, Routers are only needed to separate different networks or pass traffic between them. Only issue is you wont have DHCP available. For that number of devices you can configure them each individually using the relevant camera discovery tool.
I assumed it was just for DHCP, so when a phone/tablet hops on the wireless they'll get an IP address.

-Jamie M.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I was throwing some labor into my crude estimates as well as things like UPS and racks and dedicated machines and screens for viewing. I was figuring $10k is about the minimum no labor, but it could easily be more. I'd be genuinely curious about your take on the choice between Dahua, DW, and Hanwha (formerly samsung) cameras for a higher end commercial install. Hanwah and Bosch are the ones I think I've noticed in the field the most.
yeah, I was assuming the labor would be in house...
I dont have experience with DW or hanwha....I like dahua because of the price/performance ratio and because they offer many of their cameras in turret style that i prefer...
I have not performed a price comparison to all models, but with respect to the low light 5/6mp cams that seem to use the imx178, all three brands are close in price 325-450...and for that model dahua does not have a turret....for OP if he goes with dw vms and its all indoor anyway, then I would seriously look at the DW cams and try to work a package deal with a vendor.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
different companies have different accounting practices. I agree with you on price/performance and dahua especially on a smaller scale. One of the main reasons to consider other brands would be Dahua's relatively poor handling of security vulnerabilities and the bad press they've received. No matter what you choose enforcing some security externally is important.

If there's really a need for DHCP you can run a DHCP server on the VMS server.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
different companies have different accounting practices. I agree with you on price/performance and dahua especially on a smaller scale. One of the main reasons to consider other brands would be Dahua's relatively poor handling of security vulnerabilities and the bad press they've received. No matter what you choose enforcing some security externally is important.

If there's really a need for DHCP you can run a DHCP server on the VMS server.
It seems from the op that the cameras will not have any internet access nor will they be connected to any other network...essentially a closed network so security concerns are a non issue....in general I treat every camera as having a vulnerability so it doesnt really matter one way or the other...

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It seems from the op that the cameras will not have any internet access nor will they be connected to any other network...essentially a closed network so security concerns are a non issue....in general I treat every camera as having a vulnerability so it doesnt really matter one way or the other...
I was thinking that could evolve over time and there are some basic things you can do like prevent the cameras from talking to each other directly. If it remains isolated you're safe too.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was thinking that could evolve over time and there are some basic things you can do like prevent the cameras from talking to each other directly. If it remains isolated you're safe too.
Provided they are strict about isolation - imho, most larger setups are not and get compromised.... such as the Iranian nuclear program getting nailed by stuxnet...