Internet Bandwidth and CPU question for the experts

hdtvjeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With nearly 2 dozen Dahua 4-6MP cameras my high end PC with Blue Iris was choking with CPU usage at nearly 100%

My interent speed was 300/20

Now Spectrum upped me to 400/20 But I am really getting 500/25

Now heres the kicker since the speed bump my CPU usage as shown in BI is now constantly under 50%

Did the speed bump do that.

Do increases in megabit bandwidth affect CPU Usage?

I always thought the opposite, that a stronger proceesor would reduce CPU usage not bandwidth

Would the speed bump I referenced be strong enough to lower my cpu usage so much?

Thanks

Jeff

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
With nearly 2 dozen Dahua 4-6MP cameras my high end PC with Blue Iris was choking with CPU usage at nearly 100%

My interent speed was 300/20

Now Spectrum upped me to 400/20 But I am really getting 500/25

Now heres the kicker since the speed bump my CPU usage as shown in BI is now constantly under 50%

Did the speed bump do that.

Do increases in megabit bandwidth affect CPU Usage?

Would the speed bump I referenced be strong enough to lower my cpu usage so much?

Thanks

Jeff
no, its is impossible for internet speed to affect local cameras and BI. You are wasting your money if you are paying for 400 or 500 speeds. You dont need anything more than 50 and even that is overkill.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You haven't said where the cameras are located (network-wise) relative to the PC, and if any camera traffic is delibertately traversing the internet.
What happens to the PC CPU if you disconnect the router from the LAN?

hdtvjeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not expert like you guys but here is what I know

BI is configured with the WAN addresses of the cameras ( 10 on site here) 14 remotely.

Port fowarding enable for each Dahua IP Camera as well as in Router settings.

All I know is my CPU is behaving and I cannot explain it

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Read the wiki in the blue bar at the top of the page, there is an article on optimizing on bi cpu.

Having remote cameras that are running over the internet will cause problems. What is the frame rate and Iframe values on the local And remote cameras.
Is the local connections / traffic passing through the router. If so move all local traffic off the router.

Provide a diagram of your network and the remote network.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
well, yes, if you're pulling 14 remote 4-6MP streams down through your internet pipe, that's maybe 14 x 1000kB/s or 14MB/s == 140Mbps.
IF the previous bandwidth limit was choking that, then BI would be struggling to re-assemble the streams due to lost frames, etc, i would imagine.
So it's entirely possible that a bigger pipe allows the same streams to arrive at the BI server in a more orderly fashion and thus more readily layed down to disk...

You must not have any sort of data cap... cuz that's like 36TB per month...

edit: are the 14 remote all at the same site? cuz the UPLOAD rate from there would probably be your limiting factor...

hdtvjeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
well, yes, if you're pulling 14 remote 4-6MP streams down through your internet pipe, that's maybe 14 x 1000kB/s or 14MB/s == 140Mbps.
IF the previous bandwidth limit was choking that, then BI would be struggling to re-assemble the streams due to lost frames, etc, i would imagine.
So it's entirely possible that a bigger pipe allows the same streams to arrive at the BI server in a more orderly fashion and thus more readily layed down to disk...

You must not have any sort of data cap... cuz that's like 36TB per month...

edit: are the 14 remote all at the same site? cuz the UPLOAD rate from there would probably be your limiting factor...

Yes, 14 cameras here all 4-6 mp max frame rate and best i frame. Remote site 12 similar cameras and settings

I am tempted to upgrade both locations to 880/880 with optimum/ Spectrum but not sure yet

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
no, its is impossible for internet speed to affect local cameras and BI. You are wasting your money if you are paying for 400 or 500 speeds. You dont need anything more than 50 and even that is overkill.
Don't necessarily disagree for most cases but, FYI, Charter/Spectrum base speed in most areas is now 200Mb/s down 10Mb/s up. Can't buy less unless one qualifies for their low income Internet Assistance program wherein the speed is 30/4 Mb/s.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) setup a second bi system at the remote site. It is not a good idea to move that much data on a home internet?
2) how far away is the second site. If it is close it may be worth looking at other connection methods.
3) set Iframe and frame rate to 15 or less on all cameras. You are not shooting a hollywood move.
4) lookat setting g up a point to point VPN between both sites, and get ride of port forwardingar in is a security risk.

hdtvjeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The two sites are 120 miles apart. 1 in NY&C the other in the Catskills
I do not know of other method which does not involve port fowarding

I will experiment with 15fps though I thought the eventual aim was to have a pristine image in real time

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well, yes and no. Sorta depends on what you're needing to capture.

My cameras are, presently, all about watching the inside and outside of a house. So, most likely it will be people walking around looking, poking, prodding. In a bit of light research, it seems people tend to walk at about 3 mph. Of course, there can be some variance but that seems like a good number in general.

At 15fps, someone walking at 3mph, will have a frame for every ~3.5" of movement if I did the math correctly.

I have mine set to 10fps which equates to a frame for every ~5.25" at 3mph.

There is an intersection in the field of view of one camera. Cars there I estimate ~25mph. That means a frame for every 44".

hdtvjeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have my over 2 dozen dahuas split between 2 properties and I need that resolution to zoom in on an item of detail I need to identify and more frames per second in my mind equated to less frames being missed.

My highest rez dahua is a 8mp model as I swap out cameras as newer ones come to the market. I started with the 2mp models back in 2012

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Have to consider what might or might not happen in the span of 0.067 seconds, which is what 15fps represents.

Bear in mind zooming in in strict sense is related to the resolution of your camera, not the fps.