Internet Speeds: What do you have?

Travis798

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm currently on Starlink Satellite internet. Speed fluctuates but this is typical. $110 a month for all you can eat.1650680140524.png

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wave broadband cable internet

$55/mo
15ms ping
200 Mbps down
10 Mbps up
1 TB data

I got a flyer last year advertising Ziply Fiber internet coming to town. In January a spool of something was left on the street corner near my house. I investigated and found it was a spool of fiber optic cable. Just a couple days ago workers finally strung that fiber... to who knows where. They probably went around the bend to BFE instead of extending it across the street to the 100 unit development I live in. They advertise;

$20/mo
50 Mbps down
50 Mbps up
Unlimited data

I'm all about that. Upload speed should match download, as god intended. The price is superb. I just need to figure out who to tip to get the workers headed across the street. Looking at the service map, it looks like a military pincer maneuver bearing down on our location. Months ago locate service marked every electrical, telecom, sewer, gas, and water service in the entire neighborhood. They seem serious, but in no hurry. Those on hundred acre farmlands are getting hooked up first to get their 20 bucks instead of the 100 folks on less than 100 acres. i'm not actually mad

so close yet so far...

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wave broadband cable internet

$55/mo
15ms ping
200 Mbps down
10 Mbps up
1 TB data

I got a flyer last year advertising Ziply Fiber internet coming to town. In January a spool of something was left on the street corner near my house. I investigated and found it was a spool of fiber optic cable. Just a couple days ago workers finally strung that fiber... to who knows where. They probably went around the bend to BFE instead of extending it across the street to the 100 unit development I live in. They advertise;

$20/mo
50 Mbps down
50 Mbps up
Unlimited data

I'm all about that. Upload speed should match download, as god intended. The price is superb. I just need to figure out who to tip to get the workers headed across the street. Looking at the service map, it looks like a military pincer maneuver bearing down on our location. Months ago locate service marked every electrical, telecom, sewer, gas, and water service in the entire neighborhood. They seem serious, but in no hurry. Those on hundred acre farmlands are getting hooked up first to get their 20 bucks instead of the 100 folks on less than 100 acres. i'm not actually mad

so close yet so far...
Just pray some meth-head doesn't cut and steal the spool of fiber, mistaking it for copper to sell....:drool::smash:

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have T-Mobile. 600+ down and 90+ up for $50 a month which includes all fees and taxes. I'm lucky though as this is my norm where i know others at other locations that have to be happy with way less. It seems to be luck of the draw, but at least you get 15 or 30 days (depending on the current deal) to try it free and see.

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
In the UK i left virgin media cable and joined Vodafone fibre. They were getting to pricey. With Vodafone I'm getting 500 down and 70 up for £32 or $41 according to Google. This also includes 4G backup via a dongle that plugs into the router. I'm using my own netgear router though so I'll have to plug the router they provided back in if i need the 4G backup or support.

Speed wise I'm getting

Wired - 520 Mbps down / 70 Mbps up
Wi-Fi beside router - 490 down / 70 up
Wi-Fi furthest point in house - 240 down / 70 up

I have the 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz split and connect to the 5 ghz only. Obviously this is very subjective and ultimately depends on the age of devices used.

In a nutshell unless i go wired I'm not maxing out my connection. I'm sure or hope plenty of others are in the same boat :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have T-Mobile. 600+ down and 90+ up for $50 a month which includes all fees and taxes. I'm lucky though as this is my norm where i know others at other locations that have to be happy with way less. It seems to be luck of the draw, but at least you get 15 or 30 days (depending on the current deal) to try it free and see.
I love how tmobile is giving folks the option to stick it to the cable companies. They should be frightened.

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
I love how tmobile is giving folks the option to stick it to the cable companies. They should be frightened.
I was with virgin media cable for a number of years and what pissed me off was seeing good / better deals online and calling them only to be told they were for "new customers only". To be fair they were not the only ISP at this. It seems customer loyalty is really customer abuse. To get the best deal you have to chop and change.

Does this happen in the US?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I was with virgin media cable for a number of years and what pissed me off was seeing good / better deals online and calling them only to be told they were for "new customers only". To be fair they were not the only ISP at this. It seems customer loyalty is really customer abuse. To get the best deal you have to chop and change.

Does this happen in the US?
Yes it happens here all the time. The trick here is to get in touch with the retention department by selecting the option for canceling service. They have more power to give you a discount - particularly if you are in an area that has more than one provider.

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Internet and insurance companies are the worst at rate creep. Their "loyal customer discount" means you pay more than the new guy.

Recently I called my internet provider and asked to get a better package or price on my service because it had increased in price, and I was getting pretty big extra charges for exceeding my 400GB data allotment. They said nothing could be done. A couple months later I was seriously frustrated and called again to see if there was anything new they could offer me. They told me nothing could be done except to pay $20 more per month to get unlimited data. I browsed what packages were offered online while I was on the phone with them and inquired about the 200 mbps option (I was at 50mbps). "Well, that one's $5 more per month than what you're paying and includes 1000 GB of data".

So their only job is to know what packages they have and inform the customer of which best fits their objectives, and I had to find it myself on the 2nd call to them.

I went from
$50/mo + $20 in overages ($70 total)
50 mbps down
5 mbps up
400 GB data

to
$55/mo
200 mbps down
10 mbps up
1000 GB data

These A-holes treat their customers like garbage because they are filthy oligopolies. It's not like a dissatisfied customer can really leave. My only other option is to pay $100/mo for StarLink.

... the sad thing is Wave's very bad customer service is WAY better than CenturyLink, which acts like I'm the first customer they've ever had ask about internet service.

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes it happens here all the time. The trick here is to get in touch with the retention department by selecting the option for canceling service. They have more power to give you a discount - particularly if you are in an area that has more than one provider.
I've tried them but still offered nowhere near what the new deals were. What has maybe been a game changer for me is that fibre speeds have caught up with cable in my area.

Speaking of retentions fwiw at the time I changed virgin media was offering an automated over the phone discount of £4 for existing customers. You didn't even need to speak with anybody. My mind was already made up but maybe of benefit to others in UK.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
1G/1G AT&T Fiber here, $70/mo with no cap. 2Gb and 5Gb plans coming soon apparently

I also have T-Mobile 5G Home Internet as the backup, for $50/mo with no cap and no contract

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
I live ing BFE TN in the sticks and we only have one Cable provider ISP, so I am stuck with them. At my house, I don't get any cell coverage, except Verizon and that is spotty on a fine winters day with no leaves on the trees. I have my cell phones connected to VOIP via my wifi router to get calls in and out. I think we pay $70 a month. I wouldn't even know what to do with Fiber speeds.....probably the exact same thing I am doing now.

Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 9.35.25 PM.png

Lb85

n3wb
Reaction score
Spectrum in San Francisco Bay Area 220/10 - for 74.99.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I have been trying Verizon 5G Home Internet, $35month, with 3 year price lock. ( I am a Verizon Mobile phone customer) , Additionally while looking at my Plan, they offered a 10$/Mo. line discount on Customer Loyalty for 2 lines. Net = $15/mo for Internet. At the moment. I'm waiting to see how it acts as more people subscribe. Seems too good to be true. But I like that Comcast is not the only Game in town now.
So I speed checked while connected 4 diff ways. The Asus RT-AX55 in Bridge or ( AP) Mode. The Verizon device has 2 Ethernet ports. 1.Vzn wifi direct from Box, 2. Vzn Wifi thru Asus's Wifi, and 3.Verizon direct Ethernet, and 4. Vzn Via ASUS Ethernet port. I also have unplugged the Xfinity cable modem, ( 85 down/8-10 Up) $79/Mo. And am considering canceling the Cable internet.

Screenshot 2022-04-26 225459.pngScreenshot 2022-04-26 225007.pngScreenshot 2022-04-26 224456.pngScreenshot 2022-04-26 224244.png

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for 1g/1g fiber to be installed, they claim it will happen this year. They've been inching towards me for 4 or 5 years.

grumpywilson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Depends what device I speed test at. The TV computer is 280/28 and the BI server is 945/42. My phone speed test is 360/40. I'm paying $79.99 for 1200Mbps with a 1.2TB limit.