Internet Speeds: What do you have?

ekaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@nayr which ubnt gateway are you using? I just picked up a pro-4 but haven't plugged it in yet.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its a USG I got from a beta run, just been using it for analysis.. the EdgeRouter is doing most of the work on my network.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Suppose to be 150 and 50 up will have to complain. I pay $49.99 month (approx. $34.oo U.S) for a 2 year contract. I don't have cable TV I only use KODI on all TV's. upload_2017-3-8_16-52-24.png

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Suppose to be 150 and 50 up will have to complain. I pay $49.99 month (approx. $34.oo U.S) for a 2 year contract. I don't have cable TV I only use KODI on all TV's. View attachment 15990
I'm jelly then, I get 75 down and I don't even remember if they give an up but its usually around 15, and down is usually around 80, but it's $43 a month.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cox Gigablast here, so 1Gb up/down in theory, but not actually quite that fast.

They're basically give it away (compared to their normal Internet speeds). I think we pay $149 w/ taxes, and that includes the Gigblast Internet, 220 channels (inc. all of the premiums), local phone, and a 6-tuner DVR, price-lock (a.k.a. contract) for three years.

Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 5.56.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 5.54.55 PM.png

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Cox Gigablast here, so 1Gb up/down in theory, but not actually quite that fast.

They're basically give it away (compared to their normal Internet speeds). I think we pay $149 w/ taxes, and that includes the Gigblast Internet, 220 channels (inc. all of the premiums), local phone, and a 6-tuner DVR, price-lock (a.k.a. contract) for three years.

View attachment 15991

View attachment 15992
no thanks, I wouldn't even use a fraction of that speed and I can watch everything I want without cable tv lol.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no thanks, I wouldn't even use a fraction of that speed and I can watch everything I want without cable tv lol.
That's cool. We've got some IT folks in the house here (one who works from home), so while we never get near the 1Gb mark, it's often over the 300Mbps mark.

As for streaming stuff, how do you skip commercials? I've been hanging out at a friends house who streams, and he can't skip or FF through commercials, and it really really sucks. We've got a TiVo Roamio in the living room at home (central one that records everything), and then streaming boxes in all of the other rooms. It marks the commercials (for one-button skipping) for most shows, but some you have to manually FF through. Looks like are 93 shows its set to record (that covers the whole house).

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Right now I watch stuff on the exodus add-on for kodi, no commercials and we're using sling TV for live channels, also no commercials

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

frank10

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
100/20, but real 70/20 @50€/month, unlimited data, including also unlimited phone calls and 1 mobile SIM.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
500/500 over Fiber. Abou €90 each month for internet, tv (3x digital set top boxes) and phone (flat fee calling option)

Took this speed option (€10 per month over 100/100) to quicker download movies.

misterfredsr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just checked mine and it's "as fast as 6 down" and the tests I did was 2.44 and 1 up but the test was only 0.26 for $50 a month. I have Frontier dsl and this was the only option I had at the time about 15 years ago. We have cable now but is copper cable any better? I was told we have fiber to the house but I have copper in the house. Does anyone think connection fiber to copper will work any better? Cable offers 4x the speed for $5 more than I'm paying now.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone think connection fiber to copper will work any better?
With DSL, as the number of feet between your house and the phone company's CO increases, the speed of your connection decreases.

With fiber, that's not the case. I mean, distance matters, but not in terms of feet.

A fiber connection to your house should give you significantly faster speeds than copper DSL connection.

misterfredsr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply aristobrat but what are the chances of getting better speeds connecting my modem to the copper cable in my house that connected to the fiber cable outside of the house?
Is there a way to tell if it's copper or fiber that connected to my house or do I have to open the box outside and disconnect the cable and look at the end to tell?

frank10

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With DSL, as the number of feet between your house and the phone company's CO increases, the speed of your connection decreases.

With fiber, that's not the case. I mean, distance matters, but not in terms of feet.

A fiber connection to your house should give you significantly faster speeds than copper DSL connection.
If you are under 300m from the street cabinet, copper has still great possibilities, if only the providers would want to use them...
For example there is the VDSL base upto 100Mbit/s, but then you can make more than 2x with vectoring, but the magic could be the G.fast upto 1000Mbit/s! On the old good copper!
Of course fiber is the future.

Last edited:

frank10

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply aristobrat but what are the chances of getting better speeds connecting my modem to the copper cable in my house that connected to the fiber cable outside of the house?
Is there a way to tell if it's copper or fiber that connected to my house or do I have to open the box outside and disconnect the cable and look at the end to tell?
If you don't know, it's copper... to have the fiber into your house you must have a dedicated "router" that accepts fiber cable: if you don't have that you have copper.

EDIT:
There are 3 types:
FTTC fiber to the cabinet (street), then from the cabinet to house you have copper
FTTB fiber to the building, with a dedicated fiber "router" then from the box to the apartments you go with copper
FTTH fiber to the house. Every apartment has direct fiber with a dedicated fiber "router".

Last edited:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Make sure you stare directly into the end of the cable, just to be sure.