iOS app constantly not connecting

batlin27

n3wb
Reaction score
It is a constant problem with my iOS app (on my iPhone and my other iPhones and iPads)

About 75% of the time if I open Blue Iris App it brings up a dialog stating "Login failed: check user and password"
I know my user and password are correct as if I click "ok" 1 to 10 times, one of the times it will connect.

Does anyone else have this issue?
I have a registered copy of Blue Iris and this happens on both LAN and WAN

If I could find a way to post a picture, I will post a screen shot

Thank you!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It is a constant problem with my iOS app (on my iPhone and my other iPhones and iPads)

About 75% of the time if I open Blue Iris App it brings up a dialog stating "Login failed: check user and password"
I know my user and password are correct as if I click "ok" 1 to 10 times, one of the times it will connect.

Does anyone else have this issue?
I have a registered copy of Blue Iris and this happens on both LAN and WAN

If I could find a way to post a picture, I will post a screen shot

Thank you!
disable your firewall and test.

batlin27

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow! Thank you for the quick response. My Windows Firewall is disabled. I assume this is the one you are referring to as it happens behind my router on the LAN and outside on my WAN. To Connect to BluIris app behind my routers does it go outside my LAN?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow! Thank you for the quick response. My Windows Firewall is disabled. I assume this is the one you are referring to as it happens behind my router on the LAN and outside on my WAN. To Connect to BluIris app behind my routers does it go outside my LAN?
yes. Try deleting the user in blue iris and add it back.

batlin27

n3wb
Reaction score
I just deleted the account and re-added. That didn't help. I then created a new account with same privileges (administrator) and this didn't help at as well. I also tried my wives phone and the issue also persists on that. Sometimes it logs in first time, and sometimes it takes 10+ times. I have even tried rebooting iPhone, killing app, reinstalling. This has been an ongoing issue for the past month but I have my wife complaining about it more and more so I need to get this figured out. :(

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just deleted the account and re-added. That didn't help. I then created a new account with same privileges (administrator) and this didn't help at as well. I also tried my wives phone and the issue also persists on that. Sometimes it logs in first time, and sometimes it takes 10+ times. I have even tried rebooting iPhone, killing app, reinstalling. This has been an ongoing issue for the past month but I have my wife complaining about it more and more so I need to get this figured out. :(
What exact version of blue iris are you on?
I have not seen any other complaints about this issue.
Do you have the same issue if you try connecting via browser?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Also, if you are running Qos in your router or DDOS protection, try disabling it for testing.

batlin27

n3wb
Reaction score
no Qos or DDOS in my router. I have a Unifi USG router
Blue Iris version 4.8.4.1.x64
Windows 10 Pro
Is there anyway to pull logs from the iOS app or Blue Iris to see what is going on?
Thank you again for your help.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
no Qos or DDOS in my router. I have a Unifi USG router
Blue Iris version 4.8.4.1.x64
Windows 10 Pro
Is there anyway to pull logs from the iOS app or Blue Iris to see what is going on?
Thank you again for your help.
I don't know of a way to see the iOS logs, but you can check the server logs and see if there's anything there. Also I know you said you disabled your firewall but is there any chance you are using bitdefender? If so completely uninstall it.

batlin27

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you again for helping with this issue... Checking logs and there is really nothing that happens when the login error happens.. nothing shows up in logs unless I get a successfully login.
I do not have bitdefender
iPhone App version 1.63

is there a way to turn on more verbose logging in Blue Iris Server, something that might show a failed login?
I do not get this issue in the browser on LAN

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you again for helping with this issue... Checking logs and there is really nothing that happens when the login error happens.. nothing shows up in logs unless I get a successfully login.
I do not have bitdefender
iPhone App version 1.63

is there a way to turn on more verbose logging in Blue Iris Server, something that might show a failed login?
I do not get this issue in the browser on LAN
You can try reinstalling the software (ensure you have a copy of the license key and deactivate first. also, backup your settings). Other than that I think you will have to email support.

Evisser4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have been having the exact same issue as the OP. Windows firewall disabled, router firewall disabled, no QOS. It has been around for several versions.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been having the exact same issue as the OP. Windows firewall disabled, router firewall disabled, no QOS. It has been around for several versions.
It's an issue on your end..could be a million things

batlin27

n3wb
Reaction score
Evisser4,
Can you please contact support? I have been working with support since December on this issue and they still have not been able to diagnose (I have provided network traces, device trace (ios) etc). I have done the following; Replaced Windows box running BI, Reinstalled BI, tried different iPhones, iPads, different generation iPhones, change network infrastructure (router switches etc) and still get the issue.

Maybe if they see that someone else is having this issue it might help diagnose.

Evisser4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have noticed the times that the login fails, it shows in the log as a connection from 192.168.1.1, which is my routers ip address. The times it succeeds it has an actual ip address for my ios device. Example 192.168.1.103. Not sure what causes the app to route differently. I suspect this is related to my router. Are you using a mesh router system? I have the linksys velop and I don't recall this happening when I used to run a single ASUS router, but I could be wrong. I have contacted Blue Iris support as you suggested.

Last edited:

Evisser4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What are your settings here on the webserver page? I checked the Log ALL connections, not just logins and increased the Limit Logins from 5 to 10 and it seems to have helped so far.

upload_2019-3-20_11-56-17.png

Reaction score
I’ve also had this issue pretty bad to where I had to click login 10-20 times before it would go through. Then around the time of BI5 upgrade I didn’t experience it again until maybe a month or 2 it started again. So idk if it was the updates or maybe I changed something but it has been on and off for me.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve also had this issue pretty bad to where I had to click login 10-20 times before it would go through. Then around the time of BI5 upgrade I didn’t experience it again until maybe a month or 2 it started again. So idk if it was the updates or maybe I changed something but it has been on and off for me.
This is usually an issue with your firewall, asus routers ddos protection can cause this.

Last edited:

COtto1984

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am also having this issue- random at best. Sometimes it is worse than others. It has happened while connecting via my internal WIFI network and external network. I'm running Netgear routers with DD-WRT installed. Blue Iris service is running on a dedicated Windows 10 Pro PC.

bfollowell

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm having this same issue.

I finally purchased the Blue Iris iOS app so I can monitor my cameras when I'm away from home. I was concerned that it would be hard to setup, but it was relatively easy. Everything worked well for several days, maybe a week, then it just stopped connecting to the server. At first I thought it was something through my company's wi-fi, some security they'd setup or something, but even when I shutoff wi-fi completely and just tried using cellular, I couldn't connect.

I tried again from home when I woke up this afternoon, and everything worked just fine. No problems whatsoever. I thought maybe it was some temporary issue and that it was fixed, but now I'm at work, and it's failing to connect again.

I'm using Blue Iris v5.2.0.0 x64 and v1.63.10 of the iOS app. When I check my firewall software it says Blue Iris Video Security and WebCam Software and access is allowed. Turning off the firewall altogether doesn't seem to make any difference, so I'm really thinking it's not a firewall issue. I have a Linksys WRT3200ACM router, but I haven't checked any settings on it yet. I know I haven't personally made any changes to router or firewall settings in the time before it was working until now. Any changes would've had to have been made by the router software or the firewall software itself, but I've pretty much ruled out my firewall software altogether by disabling it.

I really don't think being at work has as much to do with it as much as being away from my home network. Any ideas?