iOS push notifications stopped working

f1anatic

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't believe BI notifications resurrected via the 5.9.7.2 update can push through the DO NOT DISTURB settings, despite the correct exception to the rule. To be clear, the sound notifications do not come thru, the app does send them and are audible outside of the Do Not Disturb time interval.

Can anyone confirm? Thanks.

Last edited:

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
My understanding is that the fix requires an update to the Android app.
The Google Play App store still shows the Blue Iris app as last updated on 9/23/2023.
Hopefully the update is completed, submitted and winding its way through the app approval queue.

Last edited:

stev067

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is anyone else finding that notifications are no longer immediate after all of these changes? If my phone is set down, BI notifications don't show up until I pick up my phone (pixel 7 pro). Today I picked up my phone and got BI notifications for alerts which occurred 45 minutes earlier. This seems to be the normal behavior for notifications from some other apps too, maybe besides text messages, but BI used to be able to bust through whatever barrier this is. It's hard to say if this is because of changes on the BI side, or from the September Android security update. The notifications BI is sending the app are still "miscellaneous" which is different than it used to be.

Oneup

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have found some of the alert tones non-operational or just give a default alert tone. On some of my phones the alert does not come through until I turn phone on from sleep mode. Some of the tones work as always. I use about 11 different tones. Looks like a tone specific type problem. I updated the BI phone app around 12:00 today and noticed around 3:45 there was another phone app update. I feel the app still needs some work. I will email Ken.

Last edited:

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
The number notification categories just exploded. Currently there's category for every built-in sound.
I assume this means that notifications with specified sounds can be disabled or silenced.
Check the BI App's notification settings to see if all the categories are currently enabled. Mine were.

EDIT: I have not checked yet if a category is created for each custom sound.

Oneup

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The number notification categories just exploded. Currently there's category for every built-in sound.
I assume this means that notifications with specified sounds can be disabled or silenced.
Check the BI App's notification settings to see if all the categories are currently enabled. Mine were.

EDIT: I have not checked yet if a category is created for each custom sound.
Yes, I noticed that. All my alert tones are selected by default.

jt.cam

n3wb
Reaction score
Is anyone else finding that notifications are no longer immediate after all of these changes?
I had this same problem for a few days. Then on Sunday I noticed there was an update for BI that I hadn't applied, 5.9.7.4. Since applying that update, notifications have been immediate. Not sure if it was the update itself or restarting the service that fixed it.

Oneup

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ken stated try setting the Push notification to High priority within the BI Alert configuration. There will be an additional fix for sounds with "-" in them ... version 5.9.8 this week

gmouer

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, I noticed that. All my alert tones are selected by default.
Same here but the question is : Should we deselect all the tones that are not used? I would guess yes but it may not matter.

stev067

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Same here but the question is : Should we deselect all the tones that are not used? I would guess yes but it may not matter.
No need to disable all of those. It's just a way of filtering out notifications an application may be sending that you don't want to see. But in the case of Blue Iris, you get to choose which notification type is used, or if you leave it as default, it goes as Miscellaneous.

Ken stated try setting the Push notification to High priority within the BI Alert configuration. There will be an additional fix for sounds with "-" in them ... version 5.9.8 this week
Ah good. I stumbled on that setting myself this morning, and it seems to be doing the trick. Thanks for confirming.

Wen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can I get a screen shot of where this "push notification to high priority" is hiding please.

Thank you in advance!

prosumer

n3wb
Reaction score
Is anyone else having issues with alert images? I'm getting the push notifications and I'm getting the custom sounds but I'm no longer getting the image previews. Any ideas ?

gmouer

n3wb
Reaction score
Is anyone else having issues with alert images? I'm getting the push notifications and I'm getting the custom sounds but I'm no longer getting the image previews. Any ideas ?s
No preview images here either. BI is restoring the push alert functionality one step at a time. It will take a bit more time, just have to be patient.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Is anyone else having issues with alert images? I'm getting the push notifications and I'm getting the custom sounds but I'm no longer getting the image previews. Any ideas ?
The 5.9.8.0 Help PDF has this update note...

1726755756122.png

gmouer

n3wb
Reaction score
No preview images here either. BI is restoring the push alert functionality one step at a time. It will take a bit more time, just have to be patient.
Have to watch more closely for updates. 5.9.8.0 is not out. I just updated so no new reports yet on push notification functionality since.