IP Camera for use with Roku

LubeckTech

n3wb
Reaction score
I am looking for some inexpensive cameras that would work with my Roku devices plus with my PCs,Tablets and phones. I have tried a Momentum and one of the Ebay JOOAN 720P wifi cams but both require some type of internet based app to work. Looking for some that would be native to my WFi network which I could stream if I wanted to with PC software.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking for some inexpensive cameras that would work with my Roku devices plus with my PCs,Tablets and phones. I have tried a Momentum and one of the Ebay JOOAN 720P wifi cams but both require some type of internet based app to work. Looking for some that would be native to my WFi network which I could stream if I wanted to with PC software.
Welcome @LubeckTech

Hints -
1) do not buy the bottom of the barrel products and expect them to be compatible or functional.
2) take some time and check out the cliff notes

gordo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I had to buy from the Roku app store for $4.99 Ip Camera Viewer Pro (not the Robert Chou one) to get ip cameras to work. It also works with Blue Iris if you are looking for computer viewing software.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The Roku app, IP Camera Viewer, can't use RTSP...only MJPEG or JPEG (see Anyone use the Roku IP Cam Viewer to see live view on their TV ?). The Roku has limited compatibility and I believe it normally uses HLS.

For the Joon cam, try logging on the cam using your browser (see Configure Jooan network cameras to upload image snapshots to Camera FTP Server) and see if it can be changed to stream MJPEG or JPEG. You may need to use a sub-stream, which is usually lower resolution. Download VLC or use a browser, then try some of the (http:// protocol) suggestions shown on Connect to Jooan IP cameras to access the cam video. If you find one that works, use the information to fill in the IP Cam Viewer app.