IP Cameras comparable Axis

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Nice! Thanks. Does it matter that they are PAL and not NTSC? I know it doesn't matter with the IP cameras because it is all digital. Does this mean that Andy would be able to start getting them?

While looking up the other stuff I need. I found this Hikvision camera for $122. DS-2CE56D5T-VFIT3-Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd. Know anything about it? I didn't see anything specifically in the Hikvision forum...though I could have missed it.
I am obviously still interested in the Dahua Turret 2231R-Z. It just depends on how quickly they can be shipped. Waiting almost a month at a time really delays things.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Good catch, I think PAL may indeed matter on our DVR's..not 100% sure havent tried - typically I ask for NTSC before I order and they always seem to have them...I'm going to wait and see if Andy can get them or they show up on CCTV-Mall

Dont know anything about that HIK model...hard to believe from what Ive seen that they'd be any better than the Starlights though, mix and matching camera/DVR brands seems to be not recommended with IP stuff so assume same with CVI

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just sent a message to Andy asking when he will have then available. As far as mixing brands. I have heard that as well. It is above my pay grade so I am going to side with caution.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
:cool: Let me know what he says, I'm looking to get 2 of them to replace a couple of non-starlights at both doors..

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I will. Depending on the price and shipping time. I may get more than one. Just so I will have them. I hope the shipping is cheaper using him.

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
He said they are in stock. I asked him for the price including shipping. I will let you know when he replies.

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Andy misread my message. He thought I was referring to the IP version that every talks about here. He doesn't have HAC-HDW2231R-Z in stock. I asked him when he does expect them in. I will let you know when he replies.
I did some searching. I found some for $110 but they were PAL and there was no mention of them being in English. So I am assuming they had Chinese firmware. I guess we will wait some more. :(

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Shouldnt be too long... guessing another 3-4 weeks we"ll see 'em on cctv-mall. I'll send them an email and ask around.

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok thanks. How about this camera HAC-HDW2401R-Z it has the same specs except it is a 4MP. I know what the other have said about 4MP at night. I have also seen the youtube videos of 4MP cameras at night. My entry door has a LED motion detector. So it should provide enough light for the camera. Would an external IR illumination help?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Not exactly same specs, .01 vs .005 is a big difference at night, but if you can get enough light, white or IR where you need it, then that 4MP should do well. I'd try it without external IR first, those are supposed to have pretty strong onboard IR and in a small space it may be just fine. Then see if the LED provides enough white light for it to switch to color mode by itself. I have some older 2MP CVI cams with those same specs (.01) and they do just fine with the right light. The big advantage of the Starlight is in cases where you dont.

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I saw that difference but with my ignorance in the matter. I didn't think that was that big of a difference. Now I know. Once the sun goes down. I will see how the light from the motion detector looks on camera.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I still want one. Even if I do get the 4MP version. I could find a place to put another camera. I was planning on adding one anyway.

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hopefully Andy will have some soon. In the mean time I am getting a IPC-HDW5231R-Z from Andy. He had a good deal so I decided to get it. Now I have to decide if I want to do POE over coax or run a cat 5e over to that camera.
I am still getting the turret we have been waiting for. Once it becomes available.

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is the shipping time with cctv-mall count weekends or just week days? That is about a week difference between the too. I am just trying to get a good idea of when to expect it.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The IPC-HDW5231R-Z should be virtually identical in performance to the HAC-HDW2231R-Z. Controls will be a bit different, but they should perform very close.

Not sure on cctv-mall shipping, I always chose DHL which typically got to my house 48 hours after they said it shipped.

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That is good. I compared the specs on both of them. The other difference being running a cat 5e to the camera. The other option is to run coax and then convert it.

I was just curious about cctv-mall. Mine has said processing since around the 23rd. I ordered it on the 21st.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yea seems it took a solid 3+ weeks for delivery from order. Email them and I found they responded quickly.

Remember, you can run your CVI cams off of Cat5e also...no need to run coax.

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I remember you telling me that at the beginning of this comment thread.

Since I wanted to replace the old coax and put in new anyway. I could use cat 5e.

What products do you use convert it? I looked them up when you first mentioned that to me. I just didn't go into detail about it. Now that I will probably use it. I will need to get some details.

I think it is a good route to take. That way I can swap in and out cameras if necessary.