IPC-HDW5231R-Z Alternative?

Tbully

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello All -

New to the forum and a bit overwhelmed by information at the moment! (A good thing, I suppose)

Anyway, putting together a new system. A wise fellow member told me to stay the hell away from Foscam and perhaps consider the HDW5231.

However, reading to between the lines of Andy's message and the fact that it appears Aliexpress is out of stock, I'm wondering if it may take me some time to get my hands on four or five.

Can anyone recommend alternatives? I'm fine paying a little more for a decent product. It doesn't necessary be a Dahua, either.

Open to suggests. (Preferably a turret)

Thanks!!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello All -

New to the forum and a bit overwhelmed by information at the moment! (A good thing, I suppose)

Anyway, putting together a new system. A wise fellow member told me to stay the hell away from Foscam and perhaps consider the HDW5231.

However, reading to between the lines of Andy's message and the fact that it appears Aliexpress is out of stock, I'm wondering if it may take me some time to get my hands on four or five.

Can anyone recommend alternatives? I'm fine paying a little more for a decent product. It doesn't necessary be a Dahua, either.

Thanks!!
You can buy the non varifocal versions of the dahua starlight turret from bandh for 168...login for price.
N24BG52 / N24BG53
that is the us model number...do not get the 2.8mm wide angle..you will lose too much detail unless you are using it just above a door..
there is no us region varifocal turret...only dome and bullets which BH sells for 310..
all come with 3 year warranties.

RH-Atl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Andy gets more in a couple times a month. The 5231 Statlights are well worth waiting for. Check Andys post tomorrow or Wed. He will update again soon. He's filled a lot of orders already so hopefully he is allmost caught up.

Reaction score
Hello All -

Thanks!!
The 5231 is the only way to go. I would wait until Andy has more stock, or send him a private message and preorder and pay via paypal when stock arrives. He's a very reliable vendor.

Tbully

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks all. There really does seem to be a lot of love around this thing. I have a PM and an email to Andy so we will see what he says.

Thanks you, @fenderman , for setting me straight in the other thread.

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Few months now and ZERO problems with mine. it is flawless. I have a Foscam just to watch pets and it continuously reboots to 1970, piece of shit. The Longse LRDC60S500 or whatever it is does the same damn thing plus wont work in hot weather. Stick with the 5231. Ordered another 5231 from Andy last week and it is enroute. Ordered on Aliexpress but watch this forum for new info from Andy. He informs the forum how many he is getting in.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looking at the spec sheet, wish the N24BG52 and/or IPC-HDW5231R-Z was a higher res. Is there not Starlight variation with higher than 1080p resolution sub $200?
Hi Cali,

No. A: Physics. With the current chip technology to produce a higher res starlight you'd need a larger chip, and larger optics, and thus significantly higher price.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Makes sense. So I just need to pick and choose where the starlight cameras will go (like entry points, door, fence, etc.). Was originally hoping to use Starlight technology for every camera. But once you look at the details it's not that easy. :blankstare:

Who's this Andy guy? is he the Empire Technology store on Aliexpress?
Hi Cali,

Yes, he's got 2 stores on Aliexpress - one is called Empire Tech... other iirc BEC
Do a search here and find his email address.

Take a look at the notes I posted for you, and see what others have been doing.

If your funds are not super tight I recommend picking up one of the starlight varifocals along with an AC power adapter and testing it out. You can then use it to determine what view points work for your place and then start determining the number of cameras you'd like to get.

There's a lot of variables and options to creating a decent security camera setup, and a number of people here prefer various different ways to do it.

Also is day time or night time a greater threat?

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can buy the non varifocal versions of the dahua starlight turret from bandh for 168...login for price.
N24BG52 / N24BG53
that is the us model number...do not get the 2.8mm wide angle..you will lose too much detail unless you are using it just above a door..
there is no us region varifocal turret...only dome and bullets which BH sells for 310..
all come with 3 year warranties.
I was considering 2 fixed lens above the main entry door. Since the area is small.

Would you also use one in the garage?

I also had other garage questions here. What do you think?

#132 <------