IPC-HDW5831R-ZE (2018) vs DH-IPC-HDW5842T-ZE-S2 (2021) - 2018 camera wins in image quality

runraid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, I've made up my mind. These 2021 cameras are not as good as the 2018 model.

Just look at these.. have the 2018 and 2021 running at the same time (about 15 feet apart)...

IPC-HDW5831R-ZE (2018)
IPC-HDW5842T-ZE-S2 (2021)
day_2018.jpgday_2021.JPG

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
OK, I've made up my mind. These 2021 cameras are not as good as the 2018 model.

Just look at these.. have the 2018 and 2021 running at the same time (about 15 feet apart)...

IPC-HDW5831R-ZE (2018)IPC-HDW5842T-ZE-S2 (2021)
View attachment 119657View attachment 119658
There is definitely something up with that 5842 config @runraid as on any of the multiple units I have and have put my hands on as part of install etc, the image will look much better than that.Therefore definitely something going on based on your pic above. I'm going to reply to your DM now and see what time you have this week so I can jump on your system and take a look for you.
HTH

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This thread shows the value and importance of not running default settings and to spend the time to dial in the settings for each field of view. Lots of trial and error.

runraid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’m so sorry but I’m taking the 2021 cam down and putting the 2018 back up. The 2018 is better. I’ll put the 2021 in a less important place. Things are clear on the 2018. I can see better at night on the 2018. And it doesn’t need to be tweaked. The 2018 just works.

runraid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wildcat did wonders to get the 2021 to look good, but i sit here looking at both the 2018 and the 2021 and the quality of the 2018 is better. There’s soemthing not right with these 2021 cams. They probably took some cost savings approach with the hardware that wasn’t done on the 2018

runraid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've also noticed the 2021 cam pauses more when watching the live feed.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
That's a big improvement over the pic posted from the 16th.
What adjustments were made?
Hey @Chuck T I dial in ( and recommend everyone does the same) each camera to the specific FOV, target goals, environment and location therefore rather than a one size fits all its more custom to each. Don't use Auto. With that said, in this case there was a lot of work needed in terms of Picture, Codec, IR, Exposure and IVS rule related, noise reduction tweaks that I went though for day & night on both the 5831 & 5842 to improve overall image quality.

I have to point out again that for a successful implementation/deployment of any cam / system its critical to start with the right location that balances any restrictions (of your chosen / available location) vs the critical need for a well positioned FOV that enables (through careful configuration) output captures providing easily identifiable targets and associated details. Therefore installs that are too high, too low, pointed directly at sunlight, suffer from IR splash back from walls, obstacles in the way of target etc are problematic BUT can be adjusted for in most cases. Just make sure to plan ahead and keep in mind expansion of your system as you will absolutely want/need to do this. This also leads to more successful selection of camera(s) as you can plan for cross cam coverage (redundancy + multi angle caps of an area as I always recommend) and ensures that if you have any special requirements (whether thats application related like ANPR, Face Recognition etc OR environmental factors such as tough angles/completely dark areas) that you cater accordingly with install and chosen cameras that compliment each other while delivering the desired end result. One thing to definitely keep in mind with darker FOV's or no light situations is the use of bullet cams vs turrets because you will have the increased IR capabilities (4 LED's instead of 2) + the ability to dial in near vs far IR strength as I've demonstrated before which is key. Also remember that regardless of camera sensor, SOC / optic pairing, that light in an FOV is critical but can also compliment your coverage of an area by affording you the ability to run a cam in color and a cam (multi angle / cross coverage) in B&W (IR) so you end up with the best of both worlds, usable Face ID + color details.

HTH and as always, if anyone needs help dialing in, just reach out

Last edited:

runraid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
More updates... under these conditions the 2021 is a lot better in the dark areas. Something about the 2021 just isn't as clear though. I can't put my finger on it. It's easier to notice when looking at the live video. The 2018 looks like a very clear, from say, my iphone. The 2021 looks more, ridged.. hard to explain, but doesn't look like a high quality video from say an iphone.
2018 looks very realistic, the 2021 does not. I'm going to setup both cameras sideby side and get video and post here.

1646692265541.png1646692247348.png

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
More updates... under these conditions the 2021 is a lot better in the dark areas. Something about the 2021 just isn't as clear though. I can't put my finger on it. It's easier to notice when looking at the live video. The 2018 looks like a very clear, from say, my iphone. The 2021 looks more, ridged.. hard to explain, but doesn't look like a high quality video from say an iphone.
2018 looks very realistic, the 2021 does not. I'm going to setup both cameras sideby side and get video and post here.

Are you still running with the adjusted / overhauled cam config I started for you or did you reset any / all to Auto (strongly advise against auto/default) ? If you want me to jump back on as I originally planned to take a look and tweak further (as I would recommend) I can do so but just let me know via DM. Happy to help if/where I can as always

runraid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Wildcat_1 I haven't changed any settings. I want to write down all the settings you added in case I lose them. You made it look a million times better.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@Wildcat_1 I haven't changed any settings. I want to write down all the settings you added in case I lose them. You made it look a million times better.
I’ve got a note of them to for you, don’t worry I’ve got your back :)

runraid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think I know what it is. The anti-aliasing on the 2021 camera is bad. Is there a way to tweak that in the cam software?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
More updates... under these conditions the 2021 is a lot better in the dark areas.
My one comment about the 2021 version (even before the settings were "fixed") was that it had more dynamic range - ie the blacks were not being crushed as much as the 2018 camera. (I started to post that thought here, but never did for some reason). It seems that you have begun to notice this as well. In the end it's obviously your choice as to which camera you like better, but don't dismiss the 2021 version simply because it is taking more time to get it dialed in correctly.

runraid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The video is so laggy and behind compared to my 2018 model. Any way to address this? It is constantly pausing and is a few seconds behind. I'm wondering if the camera is overloaded somehow.

Update: It's only the live stream. The actual video recording is fine.

inpetrov

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I saw the same issue. If I watch remote and not thru the NVR, it is live for few secs and then pause. On the mobile app I had to change it do SD resolution in order not to pause.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
The video is so laggy and behind compared to my 2018 model. Any way to address this? It is constantly pausing and is a few seconds behind. I'm wondering if the camera is overloaded somehow.

Update: It's only the live stream. The actual video recording is fine.
I was about to ask if it was live stream or recording. Would have been super surprised if it was on the recording. Live stream can be affected by many things including infrastructure, browser, device you’re viewing it on, app etc.

Last edited: