IR for ALPR

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Here is a nightshot of the camera area in non-night mode. Area is lit up pretty damn bright with those IR.

Screenshot 2023-05-13 at 9.24.19 PM.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Part of it also is what kind of plates are being used.

That is not a straight on shot but is pretty angled. If they are not using the coating/paint that has multi-reflective properties to reflect the light back to the source, then it can make it difficult regardless of how much IR is being thrown at it. The states using the old coatings allows for a much larger angle to still get plates.

And then the new 3M printed plates forget about it.

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Part of it also is what kind of plates are being used.

That is not a straight on shot but is pretty angled. If they are not using the coating/paint that has multi-reflective properties to reflect the light back to the source, then it can make it difficult regardless of how much IR is being thrown at it. The states using the old coatings allows for a much larger angle to still get plates.

And then the new 3M printed plates forget about it.
I think I am at about 25% at the end point. The angle gets steeper the closer they get. I think that bush on the right is about to a midnight chop down.

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Done. I noticed I don't have the exact same settings under 3D NR. Is my firmware not the latest or something?
I have something called grade....
Screenshot 2023-05-14 at 8.51.16 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-05-14 at 8.51.30 AM.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 above. I doubt having 2D and 3D will do much for plates.

I upgraded my LPR once to try to get that and almost bricked it.

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So I put in the recommended settings, moved the camera a little further out to make the angle more acute. Captured a few plates during the day. All was great.

After it got dark, I put on the night vision goggles and pointed the center of the emitter to where the cars go. I really have it dead nuts on.
Drove up and down the street. Going away I got this. Coming in was better, it got the plate. Still, pretty shitty and worse results...

Screenshot 2023-05-14 at 8.50.06 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-05-14 at 8.54.37 PM.png

After I came in, I looked at the results I got from another car BEFORE I pointed the emitter. I got this which is pretty damn good.

Is it possible I am getting TOO MUCH light from the emitter if I aim it to well? Does this mean I should dial back the Iris?

Screenshot 2023-05-14 at 8.49.44 PM.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The first two images looks more like a focus issue than anything else.

I wouldn't call your first two having too much IR as the result would be a lighter/whiter plate compared to a blur.

I wonder if your plate and that plate or two different types of materials?

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The first two images looks more like a focus issue than anything else.

I wouldn't call your first two having too much IR as the result would be a lighter/whiter plate compared to a blur.

I wonder if your plate and that plate or two different types of materials?
Got a good one after.

Attachments