Is BI GPU enabled?

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Intel HD with quicksync... don't hold your breath on anything else..no need for power hungry cards...
There is a need for "power hungry cards", some of us do run more then 12 cameras at 15 frames and a decent bit rate. Frankly Intel HD with quicksync is only available on lower powered consumer processors. Not holding my breath because the leader of this forum is promoting "Freeze Frame" video. Frankly you can't watch someone count money on video at 4 frames per second. :(

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a need for "power hungry cards", some of us do run more then 12 cameras at 15 frames and a decent bit rate. Frankly Intel HD with quicksync is only available on lower powered consumer processors. Not holding my breath because the leader of this forum is promoting "Freeze Frame" video. Frankly you can't watch someone count money on video at 4 frames per second. :(
An i7-7700 blue iris machine can do way more than 12x1080p cameras at 15fps....it can easily do 30 1080p cams....not sure where you are getting that low number from....
if you need more than 30 cams at very high frame rates you need a commercial solution and be prepared to pay for it...you gotta understand the blue iris user base and who the developer caters to...its home/small business...its not designed to compete with commercial solutions with 40+ cams...low frame rates are sufficient in most case use scenarios....spending time on integrating high power video cards is a complete waste as only a very small percentage of the user base have a need for this...those who do require a commercial solution ..
Just got footage today from a Wells Fargo indoor ATM vestibule....low frame rates, horrid sub vga image from the overview cam and essentially unusable footage from the ATM cam....you are ahead of the game if you have 1080p at 10fps...

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
An i7-7700 blue iris machine can do way more than 12x1080p cameras at 15fps....it can easily do 30 1080p cams....not sure where you are getting that low number from....
if you need more than 30 cams at very high frame rates you need a commercial solution and be prepared to pay for it...you gotta understand the blue iris user base and who the developer caters to...its home/small business...its not designed to compete with commercial solutions with 40+ cams...low frame rates are sufficient in most case use scenarios....spending time on integrating high power video cards is a complete waste as only a very small percentage of the user base have a need for this...those who do require a commercial solution ..
Just got footage today from a Wells Fargo indoor ATM vestibule....low frame rates, horrid sub vga image from the overview cam and essentially unusable footage from the ATM cam....you are ahead of the game if you have 1080p at 10fps...
I agree, except 4mp is a huge improvement and frankly, if you look on amazon, there are not very many 2mp cameras for sale anymore. When you find them, they cost the same.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, except 4mp is a huge improvement and frankly, if you look on amazon, there are not very many 2mp cameras for sale anymore. When you find them, they cost the same.
actually 4mp is a VERY small improvement...read, learn...
for outdoors and low light 2mp starlight cameras are much better than any 4mp....they are the hottest camera here on the forum...
for indoors, you can use varifocal cameras to get a perfect zoom on the register...
even at 4mp you can run 15 of them easy at 20fps on a modern machine...not sure what mom and pop shop needs more than 15 cams?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are buying your cameras from and using amazon as any gauge you have bigger problems....check out the Axis website...how many of their offerings are 4mp?

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you are buying your cameras from and using amazon as any gauge you have bigger problems....check out the Axis website...how many of their offerings are 4mp?
Frankly, Axis Sucks, has issues with multicast unless using Pelco Enduro or other very commercial offerings. Pelco is even worse, Pelco Sarix can't survive a power failure, if you have 50 on a vlan an reboot the switch 5 will die and require re-flashing... Actually migrating to Vivotek, and Hikvision, took awhile. Hikvision PTZ's blow Pelco and Axis out of the water when you buy the higher end models at half the cost.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Frankly, Axis Sucks, has issues with multicast unless using Pelco Enduro or other very commercial offerings. Pelco is even worse, Pelco Sarix can't survive a power failure, if you have 50 on a vlan an reboot the switch 5 will die and require re-flashing... Actually migrating to Vivotek, and Hikvision, took awhile. Hikvision PTZ's blow Pelco and Axis out of the water when you buy the higher end models at half the cost.
im not here to discuss the merits of axis...point is they are used in top notch commercial installs...blue iris is not proper for a large commercial installation.

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
im not here to discuss the merits of axis...point is they are used in top notch commercial installs...blue iris is not proper for a large commercial installation.
I don't know about that, it does have it's uses in small commercial operations. You CAN run 4-6 cameras at 20 - 30 frames on just about any I7 hardware with HA. Works great, and any one can taught to review and to save clips, motion detection works better then million dollar systems. It's the best Interview Software I can find.

Check out Pelco Endura or Synectics, that's my world. BI has it's place and does a really good job of it. My opinion it's the best small business, home system on the market.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know about that, it does have it's uses in small commercial operations. You CAN run 4-6 cameras at 20 - 30 frames on just about any I7 hardware with HA. Works great, and any one can taught to review and to save clips, motion detection works better then million dollar systems. It's the best Interview Software I can find.

Check out Pelco Endura or Synectics, that's my world. BI has it's place and does a really good job of it. My opinion it's the best small business, home system on the market.
read my prior posts...commercial as large installs ...I even used the word LARGE.
you can EASILY run 30 cameras on blue iris at 15fps...using a $500 pc...not sure why you think your limit is 6....
point is blue iris is what it is and bitching about wanting nvidia based acceleration because you want to run 30 4mp cameras at 20fps is not going to help you get it...buy a commercial product...

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The average human walks 3.1 miles per hour. That's 4.55 ft per second. At 10fps, you're going to get typical movement of 1/2 foot/6" per frame.

A horse trotting or cantering is going to average 10 or 14 mph. At 10mph that's ~14.5 feet per second, so even at 10fps you're still going to capture an image every 12 to 18 inches.

At speeds above 10mph I've always had to increase my fps accordingly. In areas where horses can travel 15mph+, 10fps is simply too choppy (15mph = 22 feet/sec so at 10fps you're going to get a picture every 2.2 feet - a lot can happen in those 2 feet).

For street traffic, 20fps is acceptable but still problematic. A car traveling at 50mph is traversing 74 feet per second, so even at 20fps, you're only going to get an image of that vehicle once every 3.5 feet. There have been several collisions at my intersection where my cameras have "missed" the actual moment of impact because the impact occurred between frames. Of course, the video footage is still adequate to document the event.

BWB8771

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
"A horse trotting or cantering is going to average 10 or 14 mph. At 10mph that's ~14.5 feet per second.."

I was wondering how HORSES came to be used as an example (and I remember frame rate played a part in how they first discovered how all of a horse's feet came off the ground in a gallop!) until I saw your avatar and info :)

Thanks for doing that math for me; I need to go adjust stuff now!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That, if even accurate, is not a proper representation of systems used for VMS...that includes lots of gamers as well as low end pc's....AMD always was and will remain for the time being a poor choice for blue iris, despite users attempts to justify their mistake of purchasing amd, when intel based systems are generally cheaper due to a larger secondary market...furthermore, the 99.999 percent number was referencing systems with loads that would require high power graphics..not overall intel market share..

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think you misunderstood the point of my post, This site belongs to Fenderman maybe you should show a little more respect for those that actually know what they are talking about, and if you don't like the advice he gives, then feel free to register at the site I suggest

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Definitely. Fenderman, you may be an expert, but appreiciate that some pople are here to learn a thing or two, and your condecending way of assisting may be off putting to a lot of new users. with 19000 messages on this site, maybe you'd realise this.. :(
I dont care if I put off some sensitive folks... will be as direct as I want...dont like it leave...it is really that simple...This is not and will never be an internet safe space...no participation trophies, no praise for dumb ideas....This site has 39k members who can deal with it...

Reaction score
I think you misunderstood the point of my post, This site belongs to Fenderman maybe you should show a little more respect for those that actually know what they are talking about, and if you don't like the advice he gives, then feel free to register at the site I suggest
Re: Silas. I think you misunderstood the point of my post. There was no disrespect. just pointing out the fact that whilst you may know almost everything there is to do with ip cameras, there needs to be an understanding that people who are new dont know as much, and therefore stupid questions are expected. if you're sick and tired of explaining the same thing over and over, then perhaps writing an article and linking them to it. just because he's the owner of the site and knows what hes talking about doesn't mean he deserves any more respect than the amount that he gives out to the users of his site.

I dont care if I put off some sensitive folks... will be as direct as I want...dont like it leave...it is really that simple...This is not and will never be an internet safe space...no participation trophies, no praise for dumb ideas....This site has 39k members who can deal with it...

Re: fenderman, Thats fair enough... i understand where you are coming from, and this site is a wealth of knowledge and is extremely useful so we all will deal with it.

There's a difference between being direct, and being condescending however.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There's a difference between being direct, and being condescending however.
You need to read my posts...the condescending remarks are in DIRECT response for folks who are either passive aggressive or condescending themselves...they seem to have no problem dishing it out but then get all hyped up when I toss the ball right back at them.....I will keep doing it...