Is Blue Iris that much better than iVMS-4200?

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Okay, thanks. I don't like the looks of any of them but the 30FPS. The others are too choppy for my taste. I guess I will be playing with my settings and look how I like the 20FPS up to the 30FPS. I guess that's where everyone has a different taste for something. Not everyone likes apple pie.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In my neighborhood I would struggle to see a difference from 15 up. Unless a vehicle was smoking up my street would be the only real way to notice.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Everybody has there own hangups and this is one of mine. I could name a bunch more also but then people would really find out how dang strange I am. They may never talk to me again.

I do want to ask though to anyone a question about cat6 cable. Do you believe that shielded cable and connectors are important or effective? I haven't done enough of this to know for sure.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Everybody has there own hangups and this is one of mine. I could name a bunch more also but then people would really find out how dang strange I am. They may never talk to me again.

I do want to ask though to anyone a question about cat6 cable. Do you believe that shielded cable and connectors are important or effective? I haven't done enough of this to know for sure.
Yes, use shielded if your are in a lightening prone area.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well, we don't get a lot of rain in western Kansas but when we do, we get a lot of lightning for sure. How does this help?

Where do people get their shielded cable from? Any particular brand people use here?

Last edited:

wcleme11

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay, thanks. I don't like the looks of any of them but the 30FPS. The others are too choppy for my taste. I guess I will be playing with my settings and look how I like the 20FPS up to the 30FPS. I guess that's where everyone has a different taste for something. Not everyone likes apple pie.
Be aware that BI caps web streaming fps at 5 fps for all cameras view and 15 fps for single camera or cycle views. If you're planning on watching your cams on Android/IOS or remotely in a web browser this is what you get. If you want to view video at the fps you have your cameras set to the only way is directly in the BI console. I'm not sure why BI forces these limits as all the other software I've played around with seems to handle streaming just fine. I've got a ticket open with support so hopefully they can give some more answers on to why this isn't configurable.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Be aware that BI caps web streaming fps at 5 fps for all cameras view and 15 fps for single camera or cycle views. If you're planning on watching your cams on Android/IOS or remotely in a web browser this is what you get. If you want to view video at the fps you have your cameras set to the only way is directly in the BI console. I'm not sure why BI forces these limits as all the other software I've played around with seems to handle streaming just fine. I've got a ticket open with support so hopefully they can give some more answers on to why this isn't configurable.
Not anymore..today's update allows you to adjust it.

bennuss

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does dahua make a starlight with a security dome?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does dahua make a starlight with a security dome?
There is a pinned post at the top of the Dahua sub-forum here that lists all of the models. Some even have reviews here. Def worth checking out if you haven't seen it yet!

TLCTimFL

n3wb
Reaction score
that system is relatively weak equivalent to a modern i3 and does not support intel hd...also its a huge power hog...will likely cost you more to run it than replace it...
How many cams and what resolution?
Depending on how many cameras you use and what exactly you have BI doing, your CPU could be way under powered. I have BI watching 5 cams for motion and this sometimes taxes my CPU depending on how much motion is found. When I'm away, I use 8 cams and am sure it misses some motion. So don't take a shortcut on processor.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No, I'm not. I'm going overboard actually. Kind of future proofing, if there is such a thing anymore. I'm looking at the i7 7700 right now and will buy BI for my software.

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Really hard to find a whole Xeon system for $300-$400.
There was a deal on HP Z420 refurbs at Newegg a few months back and I have seen it recurring quite regularly. They are also on Ebay for $350.

Xeon E5-1650, seems to be a good deal.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't know if I need a 6 core Xeon but it sure is a good price. Many have told me from their experience that an i5 is actually all I need but man, if I can get a good deal on anything like that or an Elitedesk from HP I may jump on it but I'll do some more research and looking for the best deal. Thanks for your help.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Oh, yeah. I keep forgetting that. I need the Intel hd. I will repeat that 100 times so I don't forget fenderman. I need Intel hd. I need Intel hd.I need Intel hd.I need Intel hd.I need Intel hd.I need Intel hd.I need Intel hd.I need Intel hd.I need Intel hd.I need Intel hd.I need Intel hd.I need Intel hd.I need Intel hd.I need Intel hd.I need Intel hd.I need Intel hd.I need Intel hd.I need Intel hd. What would I do without you fenderman. Sometimes I forget about that. They would probably be fine if a person isn't using BI? But I am pretty sure BI is the way to go for me though.
I wonder how those computers would be for video editing. I need 4 or more of them for a video editing classroom. I will do some research on that also.

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Terrible for blue iris...no Intel hd..
Terrible? What is the criteria? Are you referring to Intel Quicksync?

Are you concerned about CPU performance? Mine seems to be below 40% pretty much all day/night with (7) 2.1M cameras @ 25-30FPS using BI DVR with direct to disc.

Is there something else I am missing by using this relatively low cost machine?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Terrible? What is the criteria? Are you referring to Intel Quicksync?

Are you concerned about CPU performance? Mine seems to be below 40% pretty much all day/night with (7) 2.1M cameras @ 25-30FPS using BI DVR with direct to disc.

Is there something else I am missing by using this relatively low cost machine?
it lacks quicksync which helps significantly with respect to cpu consumption, its an old 2012 machine, its a power hog compared to a modern i5-6500/4590- particularly since you need to add graphics. No costs the same or more than the above mentioned alternatives...

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
it lacks quicksync which helps significantly with respect to cpu consumption, its an old 2012 machine, its a power hog compared to a modern i5-6500/4590- particularly since you need to add graphics. No costs the same or more than the above mentioned alternatives...
Sure, but you are talking about reducing CPU cycles. I am at 30-35% now, not really concerning. The E5-1650 was sold all the way to 2014-2015, but did start in 2012. A used Nvidia 730 is $20-$30, but mine did come with a workstation graphics card that worked fine just didn't have an HDMI output like I wanted for my monitor. Now the power hog thing is probably right on. I should get a kill-a-watt and measure it. It is the standard power supply and cooling fans, so it is a bit louder.

I actually initially got it as a transcoding machine and server for Plex as it scores relatively high on the Passmark scale (11,800 when 2,000 is recommended for 1080p transcoding), but the installed Milestone and then finally purchased BI. For the price, it is working out great so far. I will report back on the cost to run the thing after I acquire a kill-a-watt meter.