Is it a bad idea to shuffle IP cams to different ports on the back of my NVR?

cuz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are there any issues with swapping my cameras to different ports to change the viewing order?

At the console I can change the order and it stays, but the DMSS app displays them in linear order.

I thought I read somewhere that it was a bad idea, but what can go wrong?

I’m thinking just power down the NVR, swap cables around and power back up. I might have to go through the camera registration again.

Or should I delete all the cams from the NVR first?

I don’t care about preserving recorded video, once they are swapped I’ll reformat the drive to start clean.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is a bad idea to swap ports for cameras on an nvr that has dedicated poe ports. The IP address of the camera is set by the port it is plugged into on some nvrs. The poe ports are on a different subnet then other network devices.

Test do not guess.

StefanB

n3wb
Reaction score
Are there any issues with swapping my cameras to different ports to change the viewing order?
What NVR is this? Most allow you to set - and save - viewing positions?
Or am I not understanding the issue?

cuz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It’s a Dahua 16 port POE NVR. I can set and save a different order on the console, but not on the DMSS app.

The only way I can think of to get the correct order on the app is to switch them around on the back of the NVR.

cuz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It is a bad idea to swap ports for cameras on an nvr that has dedicated poe ports. The IP address of the camera is set by the port it is plugged into on some nvrs. The poe ports are on a different subnet then other network devices.

Test do not guess.
SouthernYankee,
I am only talking about swapping them around on the back of the NVR. They are all POE ports. I want to swap the cam plugged into port3 with the cam plugged into port9, etc.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
As others have already indicated - it depends on the brand of the NVR.
Hikvision NVRs generally won't tolerate such swapping, there is a need to match up the PoE channel IP addresses with the camera IP addresses.
But that's easily enough done.
Example :

But the Dahua NVRs are a bit more forgiving.

brianegge

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
According to the Dahua docs, this is the only way to reorder the cameras. It’s a bit odd at first, but it makes it function a bit like the analog models which tied the input port to the camera number.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
You can save custom favorites in the app with the order you prefer. Might work fine to just swap but me, I don't mess with cable swaps in the nvr. I make sure of the order during initial set up.

cuz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, I would have paid more attention to the order during install, but, well you know how it goes sometimes.
DMSS lets you save a list of cameras in the favorites, but they are always in sequential order and I can’t seem to change that. I expect it would be trivial to include that capability.

cuz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I tested it yet again today, works fine
Yup, it worked fine.
I simply shut down the NVR, swapped the cables to the ports in my preferred order and restarted.

I also reformatted the hard drive to prevent any weirdness if I tried to review older footage.

I still wished the DMSS app let you arrange the cams in the order you want.