Is my camera defective?

Reaction score
I have two LaView cameras model LV-PB3140WC. I am having issues with one of them where the video freezes for up to 15 seconds at a time during the daytime hours. At night, when it’s in night mode, it works fine. When I switch it to sub-stream, it works fine. The other camera works fine all of the time, no issues.

Of note: The settings are the same on both cameras in terms of framerate and bitrate. I’ve tried swapping network cables between the two. I’ve tried running a new network cable. Still the same issue.

Is my camera defective?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have two cameras model LV-PB3140WC. I am having issues with one of them where the video freezes for up to 15 seconds at a time during the daytime hours. At night, when it’s in night mode, it works fine. When I switch it to sub-stream, it works fine. The other camera works fine all of the time, no issues.

Of note: The settings are the same on both cameras in terms of framerate and bitrate. I’ve tried swapping network cables between the two. I’ve tried running a new network cable. Still the same issue.

Is my camera defective?
could be a bad cable...first run a long ping test to the camera...then take it down and use a short premade cable to test.
if you crimped your own cable make sure you used the 568B standard.

Reaction score
Hi Fenderman, thanks for the advice. My cables are the ones included with the cameras. Maybe a dumb question, but can I actually ping the cameras if they are connected to an NVR?

They are POE cameras and I have no external power supply.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Reaction score
Thank you. That worked!

So here's what I get:

The camera with the freezing reports back at a constant 50-70ms ping. No ping drops.
The camera that works all the time reports back with more random numbers from <1 ms to 70ms. No ping drops.

Neither cable has any kinks. They are both the same length cable.

Thoughts?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The camera with the freezing reports back at a constant 50-70ms ping. No ping drops.
That's unusually long and likely indicates a network problem.
As an experiment, temporarily plug it into another POE port and see if the ping delay remains similar.
If not and it returns sub-millisecond - the finger points at the original POE port.
If yes - the finger points at either the cable or the camera.
Despite the fairly short length inside the camera of the wiring from the RJ45 cable - it's good practice to maintain the twisted pairs.
If that's not done, and depending where the wires end up, some signal degradation can result.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have a hardware problem. Or an overloaded network component.

Provide a detailed network drawing, with manufacturer and part numbers of all components. Do not leave out things like TV's and other home automation things.

Note the only thing that is connected to the router is a switch.

Or try powering everything down, including the modem / router. Power up the router and wait 2 minutes, then power up everthing else moving away from the router in order.