Is their better at a reasonable budget ?

ajwitt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Actually 4 feet is ideal LOL. My neighbors fence is that high and he gets great shots of people approaching and is getting full front of faces as opposed to sides, plus if they are looking down it still has a chance at getting their face.

Your pic above is actually still getting a fair amount of IR over the fence, but you can still see how much IR is being lost on the fence. Looks like you still have some tweaking to do on that but much better than I was expecting.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Actually 4 feet is ideal LOL. My neighbors fence is that high and he gets great shots of people approaching and is getting full front of faces as opposed to sides, plus if they are looking down it still has a chance at getting their face.

Your pic above is actually still getting a fair amount of IR over the fence, but you can still see how much IR is being lost on the fence. Looks like you still have some tweaking to do on that but much better than I was expecting.
Yes ajwitt, need to slant the camera up a bit to stop iIR hitting fence, it was 2 dark to see even the Alan key hole when I finished the setup, so a job for tomorrow. Then for the first time I am not going to seal up the 20mm holes coming through the house as I have broken 2 cameras trying to free the cables from the wall after doing this in the past, 20mm grommets are ok but not perfect, so this time I was thinking of just finding a bit of foam to stick in hole, purely to stop drafts as I always drill holes pointing down from inside, so no water will get in anyway. I was thinking of trying to change the lense in the Lorex to a 6mm, it would certainly save money that can go towards the 16 channel NVR, I am just a fuddy duddy with scratches etc and not convinced I can pop lense of without damaging it :). At 4ft around my area, someone would just come along with a baseball bat and smash the camera up or use it as target practice with their gat guns and take out my windows when they missed, does this sort of thing not happen around your area ?

ajwitt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If the camera works at the location - then that is awesome!

Knock on the wood fence LOL that my neighbors cams haven't been smashed or damaged - maybe the perps are smart enough to know that would be giving a great picture of their face being that close LOL. Now mailboxes being hit by baseball bats are common place...as are rocks thru car windows and lots of door checkers at night...

Zook

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes ajwitt, need to slant the camera up a bit to stop iIR hitting fence, it was 2 dark to see even the Alan key hole when I finished the setup, so a job for tomorrow. Then for the first time I am not going to seal up the 20mm holes coming through the house as I have broken 2 cameras trying to free the cables from the wall after doing this in the past, 20mm grommets are ok but not perfect, so this time I was thinking of just finding a bit of foam to stick in hole, purely to stop drafts as I always drill holes pointing down from inside, so no water will get in anyway. I was thinking of trying to change the lense in the Lorex to a 6mm, it would certainly save money that can go towards the 16 channel NVR, I am just a fuddy duddy with scratches etc and not convinced I can pop lense of without damaging it :). At 4ft around my area, someone would just come along with a baseball bat and smash the camera up or use it as target practice with their gat guns and take out my windows when they missed, does this sort of thing not happen around your area ?
Wonder if you can put up an object to block some of that IR light from hitting the fence before it gets in view of the camera lens.

Also wonder if it could help to coat the inner fence with a dark/matte paint or stain?

ajwitt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Zook - the problem with that is the closer the block is to the camera, the worse the IR bounce would be. I would suggest if it is a big issue causing problems with the camera, either add external illuminator on the other side of the fence or up higher than the camera to hopefully minimize the bounce or attempt some probably ugly attempt on the fence to absorb the light.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I will do some adjustments tomorrow, rising the angle of the cameras so they are above the fence, I don't need them below as the ring doorbell has s good picture of within the boundary. Then I will either convince myself I am capable of replacing the lense on the Lorex without scratching it or order a fixed 6mm camera from Andy to replace the Lorex, the issue with that though is once I replace the NVR and a few of the Lorex cameras, I might as well just take the Lorex kit back to Costco and order a couple more fixed 6mm's from Andy, as I see no point in a £850 Lorex kit when only a couple of cameras will be getting used :). I think Andy will be thinking, mmm, could be a good business day Monday :)

ajwitt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sounds like taking back to Costco and investing in a few better cams should be an easier sell to the powers that be LOL...

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sounds like taking back to Costco and investing in a few better cams should be an easier sell to the powers that be LOL...
Yes, Could be, need to check out how much fixed 5442's in 6mm format are first and perhaps I should be getting 2 in 4mm and 2 in 6mm just so I have scope of 6mm gives me not anough view sideways. Also it would be interesting to put the Lorex next to a fixed 5442 to see if I can tell any difference considering the Lorex are 4k 8mp and the 5442's are only 4mp.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have asked for qoutes on fixed 6mm and 4mm Vs IPC-B5442E- ZE, Also a NVR5216-16P-4KS2E or NVR5216-4KS2 as I don't actually use any POE ports on the NVR but I do use the inbuilt switch to subnet my cameras, basically I set the camera's to 192.168.1.x rather than my normal networks 192.168.0.x and then set the inbuilt POE switch to 192.168.1.x and the NVR to 192.168.0.x and this works wonderfull as cameras cannot call home but I can see use gDMSS etc. I am not sure if I buy a NVR without POE ports if I would be able to do the same using NVR

Zook

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Zook - the problem with that is the closer the block is to the camera, the worse the IR bounce would be. I would suggest if it is a big issue causing problems with the camera, either add external illuminator on the other side of the fence or up higher than the camera to hopefully minimize the bounce or attempt some probably ugly attempt on the fence to absorb the light.
If it's close enough and you angle the shield right, I believe it would deflect the light downward, away from the lens. Only thing is I don't know how the IR light diffuses from particular cameras so it may not work well, if at all.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
New king in town 8MP DS-2CD2T87G2-L ColourVu
nice... guess if I have to ask the price...

DS-2CD2T87G2-L

4 K ColorVu Fixed Bullet Network Camera
High quality imaging with 8 MP resolution
Efficient H.265+ compression technology
Clear imaging against strong back light due to 130 dB WDR technology
Focusing on human and vehicle classification based on deep learning
24/7 colorful imaging

1/1.2″ Progressive Scan CMOS