Is there a good small camera for front and rear doors?

Bazooka302

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's the dome's IR plus the IR from a Cantonk KIP-500DR20H like this:
HTB1o3ZjKVXXXXayaXXXq6xXFXXX5.jpg
It's mounted off to the left out of view about 25 ft away (see shadows from chair).

Joe

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) Thanks everyone for making this a great forum.

2) Question on recommendation of lens for IPC-HDBW4231F-AS:

Setup: Corner by just above frontdoor covering entry and porch area / mailbox of condo unit
Looking at either 2.8mm or 3.6mm lens.
I would like to ID people approaching the porch, as well as those immediately in front of the door.

Question - subject/suspect in view maybe as close as 2-4ft ( 0.6-1.2M ) from the security camera, will they still be in focus with a 3.6mm lens?

Note, I am still checking the FOV to ensure I am able to capture critical areas ( mailbox, package drops, .. )

FOV specs:
Lens: 3.6mm (2.8mm, 6mm optional)
Angle of View H: 87° (110°, 51°), V:48° (58°, 30°)

Thank You

dfhawk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had similar requirements and chose the 2.8mm. My camera is at about 7 feet and is pointing approx. 20 degrees downward. I would say at about 2 ft. away an average adult is captured from the chest up and at 4 ft. from the waist up. Of course, I could place the angle at 45 degrees and capture more at the door but like you I wanted to also capture people as they approached the door (from approx. 5-20 feet).

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Setup: Corner by just above frontdoor covering entry and porch area / mailbox of condo unit
My front door is near a corner. One wall is perpendicular to the wall with the front door. That perpendicular wall is about 18" from the door's frame.
So I have a 90 degree situation. Imagine standing in a corner where two walls meet, and looking outwards. 90 deg H FOV.

No need for a 2.8mm lens, with 110 degree H FOV. I bought my 2.8mm cam as a newbie, so I'm making the best of it. The cam is mounted near my front door. The 110 deg FOV has both walls in the recorded image. Wasted pixels, left and right, to make sure my siding stays safe and sound? lol.

Even a 3.6mm, w/ 87 degree FOV, would have wasted pixels. The 1.5 degree slice of missing H FOV by both walls doesn't contain valuable coverage.

Re: Vertical FOV: There are 2 steps leading up to my front door. Even with the 2.8mm lens, it was a study in compromise to aim the cam vertically. If I aimed high, to see long, I'd crop the bottom of the FOV near the door. Well, that means I couldn't see packages that were left by UPS, Fed Ex, etc. If I aimed low, then people's faces were clipped off in the medium distance. Nevertheless, I'm happy with the result.

If I were to do it again, it would be 3.6 or 6mm

Suggestion:
Consider "corridor mode", and rotate the cam 90 degrees. The VFOV angle becomes your HFOV angle.

I have yet to follow my own advice, lol. Some experimentation is needed. I use Smart PSS on a clamshell in the kitchen to keep an eye on things. I'm not sure how a rotated rectangle (corridor mode) would fit inside the multi-camera Smart PSS display....

Fastb

dfhawk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have never heard or thought to use a 'corridor mode' - does anyone use this and does it work well?? I appreciate the suggestion - thanks fastb!

kevkmartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have never heard or thought to use a 'corridor mode' - does anyone use this and does it work well?? I appreciate the suggestion - thanks fastb!
I use it at my front door. It works great! Just set the camera settings for "rotate 90 degrees" and turn the body of the camera. Blue Iris recognizes the "correct" orientation of 1080 x 1920.

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What's the major difference between the IPC-HDB4231C-AS & IPC-HDBW4231F-AS? Astetics? I pulled up both specs side by side and seem to be identical. Looking for an indoor cam for baby/kids room.

DuncanMcDonuts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just tested this out with mine. I guess I never thought of doing "corridor mode" but it makes sense. I preferred the symmetry of it being in normal, though.

This definitely works better at a front door..

View attachment 16246

My only issue is that in the web UI, and on gDMSS it doesn't look very good at all.
View attachment 16245
Let me know if you figure out how to get the correct aspect ratio on the viewers. The aspect ratio looks very off when stretched that way.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just tested this out with mine. I guess I never thought of doing "corridor mode" but it makes sense. I preferred the symmetry of it being in normal, though.
Let me know if you figure out how to get the correct aspect ratio on the viewers. The aspect ratio looks very off when stretched that way.
SmartPSS gets it right. gDMSS Lite doesn't.
Onvifer seems to get it right on the main stream, but not on the sub-stream. I'll try other apps and see.