Issue with two way talk

circutz

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm in the process of looking for a better video doorbell for my house. I currently use a Google nest, but lately it's had lots of problems. Mainly that when someone rings the bell and I open the app, the video freezes and I can't talk to them or hear them. I thought the nest was just not working, but some research has lead me to learn that it's a common issue for nest and ring.

What I want to know is if this an issue I will encounter with other brands as well. I am thinking of a reolink or dahua doorbell system. Reolink seems to have good reviews and video quality. And dahua as I already use a dahua Poe camera system. However I despise the dmss app, and not sure I'd want that for my doorbell as well.

I attached a screenshot of the explanation I found regarding the nest. So I just want a little clarity regarding the problem, and if I'll run into similiar issues with reolink. And although I use a POE system for my dahua cameras, I would use a wifi reolink, as I don't have POE running to the door right now.

Thanks

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have 2 Reolink Wi-Fi doorbells operating since June of '23 with no hiccups. Both are connected to dedicated 5GHz AP's. They get their power from the existing 16VAC doorbell transformer, which is straight wired from the xfmr to the doorbell and the Rreolink has no battery. It rings a furnished 433MHz RF chime, with selectable chimes and volume levels and plugs into a standard 120VAC wall outlet. It does NOT ring your existing chime but there a ways to do that as below, in the second link.

Here's my install that streams to Blue Iris:

Here's how to have it ring your existing chime(s):

circutz

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 2 Reolink Wi-Fi doorbells operating since June of '23 with no hiccups.
That reassuring to know. And the two way talk works seamlessly? Do you use the blue Iris app to talk with? Or a native reolink app, or other third party app?

Curious if you use android or iPhone and if you find your device works smoothly with BI. My wife uses iPhone, and I use android. And I just watched a video on YouTube that said the app is buggy with androids.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That reassuring to know. And the two way talk works seamlessly? Do you use the blue Iris app to talk with? Or a native reolink app, or other third party app?

Curious if you use android or iPhone and if you find your device works smoothly with BI. My wife uses iPhone, and I use android. And I just watched a video on YouTube that said the app is buggy with androids.
I have used both the BI app on Android and the Reolink app on Android to insure they work but I don't use either a lot, I use the cams mainly for package surveillance, hardly get any doorbell ringers in this rural area. . The BI app function is not full duplex......push mic icon to talk then speaker icon to hear.

circutz

n3wb
Reaction score
push mic icon to talk then speaker icon to hear.
Well that's good to know. I would like to set up blue Iris for myself here in GTA area of Ontario Canada, but it looks rather daunting. May have to search for an installer to help with this one. I wanted to like my dahua cameras so much more, but the dmss app just feels so poorly made. Hopefully the blue Iris app is better.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well that's good to know. I would like to set up blue Iris for myself here in GTA area of Ontario Canada, but it looks rather daunting. May have to search for an installer to help with this one. I wanted to like my dahua cameras so much more, but the dmss app just feels so poorly made. Hopefully the blue Iris app is better.
Just an FYI,
BI comes with a free web server called "UI3" which many prefer over the app for accessing cams live view and clips remotely or locally. Sure the BI app provides 2 way talk with certain cams/doorbells and receives push notifications BUT...for a one-time $5 fee many have found Pushover to be quicker regarding push notifications and has a great API for custom texts from BI.

circutz

n3wb
Reaction score
Just an FYI,
BI comes with a free web server called "UI3" which many prefer over the app for accessing cams live view and clips remotely or locally. Sure the BI app provides 2 way talk with certain cams/doorbells and receives push notifications BUT...for a one-time $5 fee many have found Pushover to be quicker regarding push notifications and has a great API for custom texts from BI.
That's good to know, thank you for the heads up. I assume pushover needs BI in order to work? Or can I use it to replace my dmss app without using BI?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You will not have a good two-way talk experience with the blue Irish app... It is walkie talkie half duplex only works with specific cameras... I don't think it's compatible with the reolink doorbell.
For any half decent experience you will need to use a manufacturers app.... To do so will require exposing the doorbell to the internet.... To do this safely at the minimum it should be on a VLAN or guest Network...
If you're nest doorbell is Wi-Fi that's probably your issue and don't assume it's going to get any better with another brand. . It should be hardwired

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's good to know, thank you for the heads up. I assume pushover needs BI in order to work? Or can I use it to replace my dmss app without using BI?
No, it's not just BI that can send via Pushover. You can send via desktop or any iOT device that can send the REST API.
The Pushover notifications are sent to a free Android or iOS app on your phone.
BI sends to Pushover via API, Pushover relays it to the Pushover app.
I've tested an alert on BI making it to my phone's Pushover app in less than 2 seconds.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Also note that the screenshot from reddit is just bullshit...none of that is true...think logically..

circutz

n3wb
Reaction score
No, it's not just BI that can send via Pushover. You can send via desktop or any iOT device that can send the REST API.
The Pushover notifications are sent to a free Android or iOS app on your phone.
BI sends to Pushover via API, Pushover relays it to the Pushover app.
I've tested an alert on BI making it to my phone's Pushover app in less than 2 seconds.
That's good to know, thank you.

Also note that the screenshot from reddit is just bullshit...none of that is true...think logically..
But then what is the explanation. I'm fairly new to this world so for me there has been no logical explanation so far. And this Reddit thread had multiple people saying they had the same issue. So before I sink more money into a new product line, I want to be sure its not also an issue with others.