I've been robbed, need a video camera asap

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you probably need to setup a recording schedule before it will start actually recording anything...

I got my PTZ mounted under the eaves tonight; tomorrow is the fun job of yanking cables across the Attic and then down into the basement.. fiberglass insulation, yummy :(

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xxqi8b46a826sbc/Screenshot 2014-08-02 00.17.35.png
I have some tree trimming to do.

Vin Tekiel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Wife decided that it was more important to replace the garage door (very old with a window). Almost done with that, some stucco and I'll be done. But my camera is not set up yet :(.

But I'm still playing with the software... If anyone has experience with iVMS4200 and FTP server, could you shade some light? My FTP server is up and running, but nothing is recorded yet. In the ivms documentation, there is no mention of FTP server. Still looking around, I look at the recording schedule, but it ask for a server, but my ftp server is not in the list...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I started playing w/my Dahua today and it also wont FTP; I am starting to think i need an SD card for it to store the file on temporarily before it uploads it.. the ftp server does not even show a connection attempt when it tells me its not able to write.

Vin Tekiel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Lol, the thieves burglarized an other house in the neighborhood. Unfortunately, well no, fortunately, they chose the only house in the whole area that actually have cameras. We've got nice shots with their car, their faces .... hopefully they are the same that burglarized my house and I'll have my stuff back .....

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
your neighbor needs to upgrade his camera ;)

Good luck w/the lead.. I think i may have seen one of my troublemakers lastnight at midnight.
I saw kid in hat and backpack walk by my camera poking arround on his phone; and sure enough I look at my WiFi stats and the only connection to my Free WiFi the night stuff went missing had just connected and only lasted for a few mins before disconnecting... suspicious no?

Looks like he lives in the neighborhood or regulars it; should be easy to get more heuristics...

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think i may have seen one of my troublemakers lastnight at midnight.
I saw kid in hat and backpack walk by my camera poking arround on his phone; and sure enough I look at my WiFi stats and the only connection to my Free WiFi the night stuff went missing had just connected and only lasted for a few mins before disconnecting... suspicious no?

Looks like he lives in the neighborhood or regulars it; should be easy to get more heuristics...
Check your logs for the connected MAC address and see if it's the same.
That ought to be good enough to get an investigation going.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah its the same mac address; I provide free wifi in my lil area so when my stuff went missing I checked the logs and only had a single guest that night, history showed that person only was connected on avg for 5mins; which is typical for foot traffic going by.. on the night in question this device was connected for its longest time reported, 20mins and it was around midnight every time this device showes up.

so guess what happens after a few days with a camera; I spot the fucker :)

I have to do my own investigation; I did not report the loss because they stole recreational items that were strapped to my trailer for a family vacation, the items went missing sometime before 4am on the night I left for a 3wk 5800mile road trip.. getting there was on a tight schedule and I could not afford to delay, especially after loosing some equipment.

Its a young teen, I'll figure out where he lives by watching his patterns and movements; then go ask his mom if he has any of my stuff left.

Today I finished installing my first cam, had to work quick in the morning to get the cables yanked before the attic started to exceed 100 degrees... now it fees like 140 up there.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1maalw2do53imy6/2014-08-04 12.27.01.jpg

sample video @ dusk after trimming up my trees:

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
...after trimming up my trees:
New cam installation will motivate you to do that, especially if you use motion detection. :D

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
yeah its the same mac address; I provide free wifi in my lil area so when my stuff went missing I checked the logs and only had a single guest that night, history showed that person only was connected on avg for 5mins; which is typical for foot traffic going by.. on the night in question this device was connected for its longest time reported, 20mins and it was around midnight every time this device showes up.
That would make me want to cobble together something to alert me anytime that MAC address connected to my network.

Vin Tekiel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here we are. The camera is set high up there. The cables go through the attic and the power injector is there between the camera and the router. Now my problem is that I cannot connect to it anymore :(. I checked the cables. The camera get power, the other one, I can connect a pc on it and it works. I resetted the camera pressing the reset button. Still nothing... argh, what's going on? Any ideas?

And I have no Idea why the picture have been rotated when I uploaded it ...

Attachments

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I had the same issue taking mine off the bench to install it; it turned out during the install the DHCP lease expired and when it came back up it had a new IP.. Now it has a static lease so I know where it is.

Vin Tekiel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
From the logs of the router, it's like it's not even connected ...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
are you getting a link light at the switch? how did you test your cable run? its real common for a pair of wires to switch spots when trying to shove them all into a cable end (especially when your making cables ontop of a ladder 20ft in the air) .. as long as the PoE pairs (7&8 iirc) are in the right spots it will power on but it wont link up with the switch if any of the other pairs are not straight through.

If you used a laptop to test your cable run are you sure the wifi was off and the network card actually got an IP?

Vin Tekiel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@nayr: Yes, I'm a bit afraid of that, I'll probably need to get another cable to check. It's not a really big deal, since if it's not the problem, I'll still need that other cable. But it's a nuisance I would have happily spared myself with everything that is happening.
@milkisbad: no, it doesn't show up.

I'll just go up there, remove the camera and try it again with small cables.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you already have a nice suitable switch look at a cheap midspan, such as: http://www.amazon.com/WS-POE-8-48v60w-passive-Ethernet-Injector-cameras/dp/B0086SQDMM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407286090&sr=8-1&keywords=poe+midspan

I use a midspan because I love my 48p managed gigabit switch.. If I were to buy a PoE specific switch it would have to do PoE+ and be managed; not cheap.

I have 6 VoIP phones, 3 WiFi Access points and soon several Cameras all running off my old rack mount midspan I bought used off ebay for ~$60 6 years ago.. plugs into my big ass UPS and keeps everything online in a power outage.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.