Just an old fart

TooOldToKnowBetter

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Next door neighbor got robbed, made me think about supplementing my alarm system with surveillance.

I'd heard some good things about Arlo and it was cheap and easy, so I put one up. It was easy, it was cheap, but it was also next to worthless. Motion triggers lagged, lots of false notifications (which could possibly go away with a subscription service to a face detection offering). In general it left a LOT to be desired.

I started doing research and ran across ZoneMinder. But then more research lead me to Blue Iris and here.

I'd hoped that I'd be able to do it on the cheap with a single board computer and Linux - but reality struck and told me that I'd need more horsepower.

Now it looks like I'm all in (or as all in as I want to be right now). Computer (Dell Optiplex 5040 mini tower, Intel i5-6500), PoE switch, cable, etc. on order. Trying to decide on the first cameras to order so that I can get my feet wet.

I cannot fully express how impressed I am with this site and the knowledge and helpfulness of the members.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The advice I give to new members.

Read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Stick with dahua and hikvision equipment. They make most of the other companies.

Do not use cloud services, do not use pnp, do not open port on you router for direct camera access.

I am a retired old tech fart. Been at it long before the fist pc.

TooOldToKnowBetter

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score